1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

About My Cousins Marriage -inputs/legal Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by nolife, Oct 18, 2016.

1. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

Hi IL,
    My cousin (mamas son) got married recently about 6mons back and he stays in US. He and his wife had constant fights and his wife has come back to India threatening him that she will file FIR. It looks like both have fought with each other physically which is very surprising in our families. Initially we could not believe that all these was happening .. My cousin has shared pics of his skin where his wife has bitten her and also marks on his neck. They seemed really worse. His wife is little fatter than him and seems to be strong physically. They both seemed to have physical fight before.
    I do not support my cousin in any way though as no women would abuse a man without any reason. He must have done something seriously wrong. His wife has recorded all his scolding's and some mail conversations as a proof and forwarded it to her dad and all her friends. My cousin says that her behavior is not so good and her fathers interference is more. Where as she says the other way round that MIL is not good and told that he has been unfaithful and they possess all the proofs.
    Current situation is that my aunt and uncle are trying to run away to America with out telling anyone. We told them to get things resolved and mend their ways to unite the couple. My aunt is hell bent on breaking the match. Now I am little worried that if his wife files a case and if they are not around then police might come and catch us. (My mom is the sister of the guy's father). Please pour in your inputs.

We have however told them to talk to the girls family and resolve issues peacefully but that is not happening.

2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Thats a bit far fetched. You are not related to the issue directly unless you were involved in giving advice which the DIL is now blaming you for. And going by your description it doesnt appear that you had anything to do with the issues. So it is unlikely that the police will haul you away in the absence of the main parties.

Abt the main problem - one piece of advice if you want to keep your life straight & tangle free : Keep out of this mess. It is theirs to solve. And the matters appear serious enough that any well intentioned suggestion given by you or action taken by you may also come back to bite you later.

sindmani, NeetaR, sumalynux and 4 others like this.
  3. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

First, I would say that this is not your problem directly and it's too messy for you to get involved in. I would not worry about being in any trouble as you guys are so far removed from the circumstance and situation. As for your aunt and uncle's plan - if that is what they are trying to do, then let them do it. You don't need to assist or try to talk them out of it. If your concern is regarding getting in trouble with the law officers, then the best way to protect yourself is to stay away from the situation.

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

You will never know the truth of what happened. Each side will blame the other side. Unless and until your cousin requests you to do something better stay out of it. Please ask your cousin to take a legal opinion and take it from there. Things look serious particularly with recorded evidence on both sides.
    This will not affect you or your mother if that's the main concern.

sindmani and Lakshmi6197 like this.
  5. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

The girl side has strong evidance against my cousin and looks like my cousin has messed up the situation.
    We are staying away from the mess and not talking to the girls side family though. Where as my moms anotber brother and sister has spoken to the girls side family on calls. My mom is also worried about them too like if one brother flees another brother and sister might have to face legal mess. Please pour in your inputs

6. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

I dont think you have any risk.Just stay out of it.

pocahontas and nolife like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

This happened in US????
    So you people were not even in the same country.
    Don't worry....now things are not so draconian.you have nothing to worry about.Just stay out of their business.

sindmani and nolife like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why are you so worried?
    Police will not knock your door, other than for questioning the whereabouts of the parents (of your cousin). They have nothing to do with your family or your other relatives' family, as you guys are very far from the issue.

You may chose to side with your cousin or his parents emotionally. But that won't drag you to the Police station.

PS: Is this the cousin who stopped texting you after marriage due to his wife's suspicion? If I am mistaken, just ignore.

sindmani and nolife like this.
  9. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

@SGBV yes its the same cousin..
    his wife has kept all his parents siblings in complaint and stated that we all demanded dowry. They even kept cheating and other cases. We do not know the complete details but looks like they are behind money.

10. rajatsingh

rajatsingh Silver IL'ite

Your male cousin's length of married life is only 6 months. In this short period he had affairs and the wife possesses proofs to prove that he has been unfaithful.

If this part of story is true, then do not back him, even if he is your cousin. Being unfaithful is always bad, but being so within 6 months of marriage is totally unpardonable.