1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

About Mixie

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vatsi, Nov 18, 2005.

1. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I dont know is this the right place this question but i need a help.
    im new here in U.S.A. I purchased a mixie the brand name is Back to Basic and paid 40$ for that but im not satisfied with it. I cant even make tomato paste in it. Can u pls tell me some good brand for mixie am looking for economical too.
    I want to make dosa batter and grind some dry masala like i was doing in india by my sumit.
    Thanks
    Vatsi

2. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Hi Vatsi,

After coming to US i brought 3 mixis one GE, one was some unknown brand, and another sunbeam. Now I have brought Osterizer 14-speed blender from Walmart and it is working well for the past 6 months. i however don't remember the cost but i'm sure it is within 30 to 40 dollars. other than our regular kitchen masala use, i am also able to grind idly, dosa.. batters well. for dry ones, i brought black and decker coffee and spice grinder and it works well; it costs about 18 -20 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2006
  3. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Try Hamilton beach blender

Hi Vatsi,

Welcome!

You may want to try Hamilton beach blender - 16speed, it works well for idli and dosa batter.

Though I would want to bring a table top grinder / mixie from India when I go this Dec, I recently bought Hamilton beach blender. You can get it for less than $30 in Costco or Walmart. There are various speeds, go for the higher ones for heavy grinding.

Happy shopping!

Sheeba

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2006
  4. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Bigger blades

Hi Vatsi,

We bought Hamilton Beach but found it not very useful, however, learnt later that we should have looked for any brand (including Hamilton Beach) with blades that are wide enough. But luckily for us, we found an Indian store here in San Jose specially selling Indian electronic items suited for use here in the US. So, we rushed and bought Preeti mixie and man, it works wonderfully for us!

I now make idli, dosa batter at home and make all the chutneys, juices, powders etc at home too!

-Shal

5. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Osterizer is good

As mentioned by Jaya, I too have a Osterizer blender.

It is well suited to grind batter, dry powder & juices. But don't expect idlis to be too soft as grinded in grinder. It is not the case even if you have a preethi/Sumeet mixies from India.

6. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks

Hello,
    Thanks to all of to take intrest in replying me. Realy it was a big problem for me.
    Thanks again
    vatsi