Abortion - your views please!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SallyR, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm blessed with 2 wonderful children. The joy I felt when I first learned about my pregnancy is still in my mind. So you see I consider unborn baby as a baby and I have been fortunate enough not having to go through abortion. My religion states that abortion is not a right thing. Even with all that, I have always taken a stance towards pro-choice and argued for a womens right to choose.

Now I am questioning my own stance after reading about a lady who have gone through abortions (I really don't want to discuss that particular thread here). What I do want is to discuss in a positive way what you guys think about this. I am hoping this will help me understand this issue better.

PS: Moderators please move this to an appropriate section if required.

Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Re: Abortion - right/wrong?

Hmmm....if this a purely theoretical discussion then I can talk about my opinion. I don't think you should ask if this is right or wrong...It brings in the element of judgement here which I don't think is needed to have an open discussion.

I am pro-choice. I have always been. I believe women should have the right to choose if they want to carry a child to term. There are so many reasons a woman may choose to terminate - pregnancy as a result of rape, as result of medical condition that may be a danger to the woman, a medical condition that may seriously affect the child long term etc. Some reasons that I could never conjure up but still very valid to the woman.

I understand that in India, women abort because of gender. That is illegal and to a large extent, the govt seems to have some control over it by not allowing techs to disclose gender of the foetus during exam. I will set that aside now.

Since the woman is the one that has to physically carry the child - I beleive she should be given most of the right to choose if she wants to or not. This is not to include situations where the father of the baby wants the child and is willing to take over complete care after birth, cannot seek legal aid in preventing termination. He does have the right to do so and God bless him! I am talking of situations where the bio father is not in the picture (cannot or will not), but family, friends, religious factors, elders and law try to compel the woman to have the child on principle.

Here in this country even with a law to force fathers to provide child support present, dead beat dads exist and the children and mothers do suffer financial harships because of that. Instead of getting that be more effeciently enforced, I find lawmakers investing time and resources in taking choice away from the woman. I feel that would just create more underpriviledged and needy kids...it seems so contrary to societies welfare.

Before lawmakers take the choice away, I would like to see them create a fool proof plan set in place that will guarantee that unwanted children (whose bio parents don't want them) are very very secure and very well taken care off. Not half assed attempts at foster care and adoption but seriously good medical, educational and financial care. If they can do that, then I am willing to negotiate my opinion. Until then, back off!

I understand that birth control and abstinence is the most sensible and humane way of preventing unwanted children....I would love it if in a perfect world, people would abstain until legally married or financially and mentally ready to take care of kids OR use birth control EVERY SINGLE TIME. Not almost always. Every frigging time. I wish we could find an easier way to enforce that - like a compulsary injection that everyone fertile needs to take until they have papers to prove they are ready for kids. Maybe that will only happen in a dicatatorship!

I don't want to take anybody's choice away - whether or not to be physically intimate with someone else though I have issues with underage sex. I guess since there are so many of us, so many different values, beliefs, needs, situations...a combination of several programs is the only way to resolve this issue.

This is a much bigger issue than just preventing terminating living breathing foetus in the womb....there is a much bigger picture. Way too complex to have a black or white sort of law, decision, solution.

I tried to have a baby for so many years.......I would have almost killed to get a baby. I cry thinking about all the babies terminated for no fault of thiers. I cry thinking about all the babies out there who were unwanted when so many people ache to hold one....

Still I will not want to take away someone else's right to choose just because of my suffering...That would be cruel and insane.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    orion80 likes this.
  3. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I agree each and every word of DNM.

I have struggled to get pregnant and I have got pregnant after 5 years.

I still remember the night when I went to an orphanage to donate clothes and rice.The helper wanted to take me to the children room where they play usually.I said I will not come.My Husband forced me to come and I went there with a heavy heart.I bursted out as soon as I entered and cried loudly,madly and came running to the car.The children were confused about my behaviour.Both of us were silent through out the trip back to home and needless to say,my pillow was wet through out the night.

I seriously wish couples to do some preventive care to avoid abortions by all means.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Everything I have ever wanted to say ..DNM said it perfectly.
    To anyone who says they have to take away the choice from the women..please please take one long hard look at abandoned children in garbage dumps all over the world and tell me that thats what the religion accepts as the lesser of two evils.

5. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

It was meant to be purely theoretical discussion, last thing I want to do is to be judgemental. I'll try to change the title. Thanks for pointing that out.

I can understand termination in the conditions you've listed above but when you hear about people taking termination as an option when things are less than ideal, makes me wonder.

Aborting because of gender is cruel and you're right about govt control. It seems to be working!

I agree that noone should force a woman (or a teen in some instance) to carry a baby that they don't want. But I think abortion should be considered as the last resort rather than a quick fix also there shouldn't be any force to terminate the pregancy either.

You've explained it very clearly. I definitely don't want a system that takes away the choice from a woman especially if the alternative is an unwanted, unloved & under cared child.

Well said...as you said it'll only work in dictatorship. I wish people would take birth control bit more seriously until they're mentally and financially ready and able to provide for a child.

Thanks again for explaining things in detail. Honestly you've made me understand this issue so much better. It's easy for me to point fingers but I guess when you see the bigger picture it makes sense to have the option of termination when needed.

6. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

She has explained things quite well hasn't she.

WOW. Successful after 5 long years. You've must have been really happy!

I nearly cried after reading about your orphanage visit. I've never been to one before...now I'm definitely going to visit and donate whatever I can this summer. :hatsoff to you guys for donating food & clothes to those needy children.

7. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Yes you guys are right. Abortion does seem to be the lesser of 2 evils. Thanks for taking the time to express your views on this issue.

8. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I know it's a very touch subject, off course my religion condems it big time.

but I believe it should be left to women whether she wants to continue with it (why did she het pregnant is different issue to discuss)

I remember when I went for genetic testing during my pregnancy and the doc asked what if we found out if you have down syndrom or sum other genetic problem would you abort?
    and I sd Yes I would abort.... as DNM the after math is much more that just carrying a fetus to term.

I know my atta who has a down syndrome child, well technology was not that gr8 3decades ago,though my cousin who survived has major problem...like he can't do anything on his own ...he is just like a baby my atta has to do everything to bath n feed she has being doing that fr 30yrs, so not every one is cut out fr that level of patience.

sometimes I really get annoyed in pregnancy section ppl say it's god will continue n blah blah.... seriously you dnt know what you talking abt, you have to live with someone to understand what is to have a child with special needs, to day we have technology so we can use to for sum positive purpose.

just my POV....

9. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Since you asked:

I am male and am pro choice. Nothing is gained by forcing a woman to have a child she does not want.

10. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I'm totally with you regarding this. I would opt for termination when there is a problem with the child that can't be rectified. Wouldn't want to bring a baby with genetic disorder knowingly in to this world. I just feel sad when a healthy baby is aborted by no fault of their own just because their parents couldn't abstain or use proper contraceptives.

But after reading about the other responses here, I am convinced that women do need the right to choose. Abortion does seem to be the better option compared to other alternative scenarios for unwanted pregnancy. Just wish people would take more precaution to avoid pregnancy, that's all.