Aandal's Thiruppavai - 1

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by varalotti, Feb 23, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

Suppose McDonalds were to offer pure vegetarian dishes in their restaurant chain! And we get idli, dosa and sambar there!

Something like that is happening when varalotti enters the arena of Religion. I am not into the area of prescriptive religion. For I honestly don't know any of those prescriptions.

Religion to me is crying for His love, crying in His love and loving that crying.

As a small service to ILites I am attempting to translate Aandals Thiruppavai. I did a few songs for my e-mail buddy in the US who was going through tough times. He told me that the songs gave him solace.

This is not the apt month for Thiruppavai. I should have done that two months ago. But any time is the right time to indulge in love for God.

You know a writer, like a baby, thrive only when he is lifted, held and caressed. My continuance of this series depends largely upon your reception.

Here's the 9th song and its translation:

தூமணி மாடத்துச் சுற்றும் விளக்கெறிய
    தூபம் கமழ துயிலணை மேல் கண் வளரும்
    மாமான் மகளே மணிக்கதவம் தாள் திறவாய்
    மாமீர் அவளை எழுப்பீரோ உன் மகள்தான்
    ஊமையோ அன்றிச் செவிடோ அனந்தலோ
    ஏமப் பெருந்துயில் மந்திரப் பட்டாளோ
    மாமாயன் மாதவன் வைகுந்தன் என்றென்று
    நாமம் பலவும் நவின்றேலோ ரெம்பாவாய்

Surrounded by lights, bathed in the sweet perfume of incense
    In your glorious mansion, whose walls are studded with gems,
    You are lost in your sweet sleep, my dear girl!
    Wont you get up and open your beautiful pearl-studded door!
    And her mother and my dear aunt!
    Wont you wake her up, wont you wake up your daughter dear
    Is your girl dumb or deaf or so tired that she can't hear us singing
    Or is she caught in some magic spell?
    Wake up, my girl, come let's together
    Chant His various names and sing his praise,
    The Great magician, Ma – maayan, Madhavan, Mahalakshmi's spouse,
    One who rests in the great Vaikuntam!
    Wake up, my girl, wake up!

varalotti/sridhar

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
    1 person likes this.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Idli, Dosai and Sambar in McDonalds!

Dear Sridhar,

What can I say but that Mc Donalds has indeed vindicated itself!!:2thumbsup: You are doing all of us Ilites a great service by translating the beautiful Thirupaavais. And your translation itself was a gem to read. Please do continue to translate as and when time permits.:goodidea: You definitely will have a following here too :yes: .

You give us all tamil illiterates a chance to appreciate the lovely thirupaavais.

And again there is no time like now to start something good. So thanks for your time and patience.

Vandhana

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Re: Translation of Andal's Thiruppavai

Dear Sridhar,

Hariom! A translation and explanation, as beautiful as the original and GodaDevi Herself. Please render more such work for Tamil morons like me.

respectful regards
    Vidya
    PS: This was not like idli-dosai in Mac. More like savouring palkova in Srivilliputhur.

4. varalotti

Re: Idli, Dosai and Sambar in McDonalds!

Dear Vandhana,

When I sat staring at my monitor, so many doubts and disbeliefs assailed me. For Thiruppavai is something very dear to me and if people lose interest in that immortal classic, because my rendition was not all right, then I will never forgive myself. Your first post set my mind at rest.

Translating Thiruppavai has been a labour of love for me. I did it for my friend out of love and out of enormous faith, that reading and enjoying a poem like this would make him peaceful and capable for facing life as it is.

I am very happy you liked it. And if Aandal blesses us, we would have more of her songs in this forum.
    Thanks for the first post of encouragement.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

Actually all your thanks should go to my friend who accidentally found this song in the net and sent it to me. In the web page he sent there was also a translation. But I was not happy with the translation which had no other credit than being religiously faithful to the original.

With our devotional literature we can take poetic license even while translating them. They were rendered in a rare movement of ecstasy when the devotee felt no difference between the identity worshipped and the one worshipping.

I bow down to your correction of the simile. When I wrote this thread I was afraid that this might not be noticed. Like a tantrum-throwing child I was suffering from attention-craving syndrome which led me to give an inappropriate, fancy name to this thread.

I wanted to change the name later; but Malathy has been kind enough to do it for me. Thanks a lot, Malathy.

I will go ahead till I have the"translation stock" i.e. availability of translated versers. Right now I have about four more.

Thanks for the real words of encouragement which the writer in me badly needed.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear All,

I have posted the translation of the next Thiruppavai. Please read that also and leave your comments.

Regards,
    Varalotti

7. varalotti

Chanting - Audio File Attached

Dear Ladies,
    After considerable number of attempts, I have been able to attach part 1 of this Thiruppavai Paasuram.

regards,
    Varalotti

Attached Files:

8. varalotti

And ladies, here's the second part of the paasuram. Let me have your views on the clarity of recording.

regards,
    sridhar

Attached Files:

9. Jana

Jana Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Thank you for starting tirupavai series. I enjoyed the words and voice posting.

10. varalotti

Dear Madam,
    Thanks for your kind words.

Varalotti