1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Dear Indian Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Thanks to Shiva for sending the message. I just now replied to Shiva and I am retyping the same here:

The following is what I cook daily:
    For Breakfast - the chutney/sambar I make or the idli chilly powder
    For lunch - the sambars/kolambus I make, the poriyals/aviyals (side dish(sabji)) I make
    For dinner - the side dish for chappathi or the chutney for dosa

all these items that I make daily have oil, but in minimal quantity - say 2 to 3 spoons for each dish.

So, there is oil in our diet. So far, I didnot add oil to chappathis and dosas all these days. Now after reading Shiva's reply, I have got some confidence to add a little bit of oil to chappathis.

We use only corn oil for cooking. And, we donot take mutton at all. Its either fish or chicken. And thats once in a week.
    One more thing is, in my Husband's place they add coconut to all the sabjis/currys/sambars etc and I dont buy coconut at all. Thats something that I am very careful about.

Your explanations on diet were all very very clear. Thanks so much. I will share all the information from you with my husband.

Thanks once again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

3. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shiva
    Let me start by saying you are looking very pretty in your avatar photo.I am not sure if you remember me as I dont post here on a regular basis.I came across this thread when I was 145 pounds,the heaviest I had ever been(my height is 5'3")I was pretty unhappy with myself and my diet had gone out of control...only junk stuff all the time.Then I started following your tips about reducing oil to half for cooking etc and gradually over the months I reduced and reduced.Today I weigh 124 pounds...I am soo proud of myself..and so thankful to you for all this.i never really felt I was dieting at all...so thanks a lot.I like to keep you posted now and then about where my weight is since you played such a major part in all this.
    Bye..

4. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

The above way of cooking is perfectly okay. Three teaspoons of oil to each recipe is not at all a problem. You can also add at least half teaspoon of oil to one dosa / one chappatti. No problems. I repeat, ten percent of our body energy is derived from fats and oils. This much oil, every one requires, normally.

I am of the idea, except in Kerala and Goa, no where in the planet they add coconut to every recipe. I believe you are living in a foreign country (?Gulf). It is really hard for me to believe that they add coconut to every recipe there. Yes, certainly, too much coconut is not recommended.

5. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sansam,

The concept of Leptin diet is only in theory, it is not evidence based. Right now, we do not know much about it. Anything which is practically useless , should not be worried about.

But, what we know now for sure, is......

1) it is better to eat small small meals frequently , say three or four times, rather than too bulky meals.

2) Yes, taking snacks in between two meals is not recommended.

3) it is better to do moderate exercises daily and avoid obesity.

4) By doing the above, one can certainly reduce the chances of developing diabetes,

5) But, the chances of diabetes can not be totally avoided. Because, diabetes is a disease, where in the person's beta islet cells (located in pancreas) start losing their functions and numbers, for reasons, not yet completely understood. These cells produce our own insulins. Research is on. A day may come in future, when we understand why in some individuals beta islet cells start losing their functions and numbers............Only that day, one can devise a preventive means of stopping the origin of diabetes, with certainly. Till such time, no one can totally elimiate the chances of diabetes.

6. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Hi Indianguy,Thank you for your prompt reply.Please can you clarify point 2.Does having fruits or any healthy food like chana or moong dal count as snack or is just fried items?

7. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

hi shiva,
    a very big thanx for understanding my situation............even i wasnt able to express it like that but u got it rt..............u r the "must have" person in everyone's friends circle............all of us here r lucky to have u as a very dear gud friend ,mentor.......

u reply really made me think abt stuffs going around here at home.......to b honest my kids r always eating healthy especially my dd.........even if she eats junk also it very limited quantity............the prob is really not abt junk foods........its with high cal homemade foods........dh always demand something or other..........one of its biriyani usually chicken nd mutton.............if reduce a lot of oil in it he can make out nd vll not b satisfied .........then after 2-3 days again he vll ask me to make as the other one he had wasnt the actual one.............blah blah.......

ur very rt abt getting "it finished'............when i read that line u dont how much relieved i was.i mean just imagining abt losing wt........as someone said in this thread..it is always in the bak of mind.........
    2 days of travelling my body retained a hell lot of water........iam sure that i vll b 1-2 kgs up...........my face is so puffed up......
    ur rt ,ineed to get to know that my tsh is within normal range.........
    u tc nd waiting to hear that u r also loosing wt........

8. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

minisha,
    all the best dear............i hope ur interview has gone well......pls let us know

9. jazzjazz

jazzjazz Senior IL'ite

Dear Shiva,Thank you so much for giving me so much confidence.Thanks for the compliment on my height.I hope you will get a chance to compliment my weight also in future.Actually more than a slim figure and fashionable clothes,I'm worried about my health.I want to avoid diabetes,B.P.problems as I grow older.I started 30 mins walk from today.My main problem is snacking on namkeens.chips.etc.i dont like sweets so much,but all this fried items are a big temptation.Guess they have to be occassional treats from now on.Please count me in your Tuesday weigh in.First weigh in weight-96 kgs.And I don't have a honda-why do you ask?

10. contented

contented Senior IL'ite

All the best Misha! God Bless!