1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Iwannabemyself,

Great to know your weight has shifted. Kudos girl. Does Down means you are having your periods??? There is no law in this world that states one should not walk during periods. SO do walk.

You might increase your weight slightly during and after periods so once the periods finish completely, give yourself 2 days and then weigh yourself. If there is a weight gain don't be de motivated because it is very normal to gain weight during periods.

Your weight will surely come down, Good show. Keep it up and keep me updated.

2. Marathimulgi07

Marathimulgi07 New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Thanks very much for reply, if you have responded, could please let me know the link for back pain, I am still new to this..

I am being diagnosed with slip disc and arthopathy with LS5.. this is been there since last April. My knee one is repared and other is overused to compensate other, so both pains.. Here in snow it is terrible when it comes to injuryor pain during winters, it is more..

I am trying to loose weight since last few 4 years, Initially tried Fasting then Gym- gained weight, became more fatigue then Tablets - got allergy, then protein shake +lime water - gained weight last soy shakes -lost few kgs but gained back... All above caused, pain, fatigue, weight gain.. Ended up with back pain.. Now I have decide no fasting, eat, walk, breathing excersices and yoga, but with back pain and knee pain, it makes me frustated, I have been spending my whole day in pain since many months.. Keeps thinking, will I ever loose weight get my those skinny days ever and pain free life?

Even I went to doc, she gave me was general food chart and hunger suppresing tablet, which really shocked me as I don't eat junk, sweets or overeat. As veg, I have no options, I eat homemade food to see if I overeate, I figured out I take less calories. so why hunger supresant? Same with naturopath, protein shake, it freaked me out for weeks. I tell it was going through hell. Now I don't fast, diet, just watch what I eat, but eat everyday. Only thing changed is, no fatigue but still I get mild headaches..

Every year, I have new motivation to loose weight, by looking my friend who has lost weight, which I can't use there weight loss as Indian no options for veg Indian diet. but with then with other odds I end up to back to square one..

It is been very inspiring after reading your blogs as i said I have started tracking food diary... After reading your posts, I have started writing food diary (didn't write last weeks) but I completed it for one months. I do walking for 30 min during lunch time, but looks like treadmill doesn't work it pains.. I appreciate your reply and helping me out and listening me..

Marathimulgi

3. shivachoubey

Great MarathiMulgi,

Now we will sort out your issues here and you will lose weight no matter what. I am going to again explain you my condition here.

I was diagnosed with slip disc at l4-l5. The disc was big and had damaged my sciatica nerve badly. My right leg initially just stopped moving. For next 2 years I was living with constant pain. My right leg would just give up and there will be terrible pain starting from my back radiating down to my right leg. In feb 2009, I decided to lose weight and started walking slowly, as the weight came off so did the pain.

You tell me that you can walk fro 30 minutes, this is a great sign. 2 doctors told me that I need to be operated for my spine but I was scared. Then I saw a spine surgeon in hyderabad Dr. Vidya Sagar Reddy, he told me until and unless you are not suffering like a fish out of water I will not operate you. He told me to build on my stamina.

I did a lot of research on net for the slip disc and then came across an article which explained that infact slip disc does get cured if we maintain proper posture and give enough time to the spine to heal. In my case it took me two years to heal, though the first 2 doctors told me that I will have to live with it for life.

Have you taken second opinion??? I guess you are not bed ridden because you said you can walk 30 minutes.

When I started I could walk only 15 minutes and would rush and lie in bed because of the pain. But will go back the other day to train myself again till 15 minutes were easy then I would increase the time. My weight loss happened with simple walk not with treadmill walk. I used treadmill when I had lost lot of weight and had built on my stamina.

My doctor had put me on vitamins. Age could also be a factor here, I am 30 years old.

As for you what I will suggest is.

1. Send me your daily food intake, the way other ladies have done so that we can work on your diet.

2. Start small, if you start with 30 minutes straight you will end up with stressing yourself. Why the hurry??? So start with 15 minutes, do it religiously for 6-7 days. If you cannot walk out side walk indoors.

3. Don't take the answer that you will suffer for life. YOU WON'T, BURN IT IN YOUR MIND YOU WILL NOT SUFFER AT ALL. So, ask your doctor all the exercises that you can do and how walking will benefit you. If your doctor cannot answer these questions then please change the doctor. I didn't wanted to get my spine operated so I kept hunting for the doctor who would give me the best solution and I found one.

4. You mention you suffer from arthropathy, I guess it s a joint disease. I am not an expert on this, but I hope you are taking proper calcium in your diet. Please don't follow fad diets as for you proper diet is necessary.

5. If you are ready to work with me then come back with your daily schedule.

I want to know

How long have you been suffering from this condition???

Are you able to do housework?? I could only and only cook, my husband used to do all the cleaning.

Whats your present weight???

Most importantly, whats your present diet???

So welcome here. You will for sure not only lose weight but will also walk pain free and will also wear skinny short dresses. I believe that you will what I want to know is do you??

Waiting to hear from you soon.

PS: Found the link to your previous comment and my old reply.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...g-weight-against-all-odds-page2.html#comments

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  4. Marathimulgi07

Marathimulgi07 New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Here is info..

Have you taken second opinion??? Yes, I got answer do Yoga or excercises. I guess you are not bed ridden because you said you can walk 30 minutes. I am not now, I was intially last April for few weeks, then started back to work.

My doctor had put me on vitamins. Age could also be a factor here, I am 30 years old. No vitamins recommended, I was told just take pain killers as required

As for you what I will suggest is.

1. Send me your daily food intake, the way other ladies have done so that we can work on your diet.
    Daily Diet:
    Morning: Tea (1 cup) + Marie biscuits (4)
    Mid morning: Fibre cereal (1 cup) + 1% Milk (200 ml) + Fruit (200 ml cup) This varies
    Lunch: 1 Chappati (without oil) + any Bhaaji (100 ml cup) + Plain yogurt 100ml/buttermilk
    Afternoon: 1 Fruit/ Snack/ Peanuts/
    Evening: Tea (1 cup) + Marie biscuits (2/4)
    Dinner: 1 Chappati + any Bhaaji (100 ml cup)+ 1 cup Dal + 1 cup rice (100ml) + Raita/Salad

2. Start small, if you start with 30 minutes straight you will end up with stressing yourself. Why the hurry??? So start with 15 minutes, do it religiously for 6-7 days. If you cannot walk out side walk indoors. I do walk for 20- 30 min but not 7 days a week. I started this in late summer last year. Lately its very cilly I try to avoid it and to compensate I try to do work at home. Once I get up in morning usually Sat and Sun I sit when it is required otherwise I sit when I go bed. During wkdays, i have sitting job, I can't get away except during lunch time. Which I do go walk.

3. Don't take the answer that you will suffer for life. YOU WON'T, BURN IT IN YOUR MIND YOU WILL NOT SUFFER AT ALL. So, ask your doctor all the exercises that you can do and how walking will benefit you. If your doctor cannot answer these questions then please change the doctor. I didn't wanted to get my spine operated so I kept hunting for the doctor who would give me the best solution and I found one. REcommended Yoga

4. You mention you suffer from arthropathy, I guess it s a joint disease. I am not an expert on this, but I hope you are taking proper calcium in your diet. Please don't follow fad diets as for you proper diet is necessary. No stretching at this point, so very limited yoga postures I do

5. If you are ready to work with me then come back with your daily schedule.

I want to know

How long have you been suffering from this condition??? Since April las t year

Are you able to do housework?? I could only and only cook, my husband used to do all the cleaning. Same here I cook, I can do cleaning occasionally, but not intense meaning that need back and knees to be used.

Whats your present weight??? 68 kgs, which has been stable since last 4-6 years, only I lost it was last year I went upto 61 kgs, but got back with +2 I was 70 kgs in December:spin

Most importantly, whats your present diet??? See above

I hope I have answered all of info. Let me know if additional info required.

Marathimulgi

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. shivachoubey

Dear MarathiMulgi,

1. Good show, Your are doing great. Your condition is almost like mine. What should be your ideal weight???. 30 minutes of walk 5 days a week is also fine. Try increasing to 5- 10 minutes in the coming week. Right now bother about increasing your stamina. Try increasing the pace also.

2. Do a through research on postures. Like I always used to squat and pick things up and never used to bend. I learned about the postures from net. Also, if your job requires sitting through out, please make sure you get up from the desk every after 30 minutes. This is not for weight loss but for your spine. Seems slip disc is very common to people who have sitting jobs and they tend to bend forward towards the computer screen and they don't bother to get up for long period of time. I make sure to follow this getting up every after 30 min rule.

3. Your diet seems fine to me except for few changes.

Daily Diet:

Morning: Tea (1 cup) + Marie biscuits (4) - Make them 2 or none. Why don't you have a sandwich here.

Mid morning: Fibre cereal (1 cup) + 1% Milk (200 ml) + Fruit (200 ml cup)

Mid Morning is 11:00 right - If you are having a heavy Bf like a veg sandwich with tea then go for a fruit here. Else this will be your BF time.

This varies

Lunch: 1 Chappati (without oil) + any Bhaaji (100 ml cup) + Plain yogurt 100ml/buttermilk - Sounds Good

Afternoon: 1 Fruit/ Snack/ Peanuts/ - fruit is fine, roasted peanuts in small amount is also fine but check out the snack. If possible stick with fruit it way healthy.

Evening: Tea (1 cup) + Marie biscuits (2/4) - again marie biscuits. Either have 1 or none. Go for roasted bhel or channa.

Dinner: 1 Chappati + any Bhaaji (100 ml cup)+ 1 cup Dal + 1 cup rice (100ml) + Raita/Salad - Never ever mix rice and chapati. Decide which one you want to have and go for it. I never measure my quantity of vegetables. I cook my sabji in 2 tsp of oil. Rice is always boiled starch less rice. Include lots of salads and vegetables.

Make sure there is 2-3 hours of gap between all meals.

Your weight seem to be stuck. If you check your food diary then you might be able to circle out the culprit. Like a bite of cake or a snack or eating out. There has to be a culprit hidden somewhere so go back and check the dairy. Please do not stop writing the diary as this is one lethal weapon.

Start small in first week. Make these small changes and increase your walking time and check your weight. Next week again we will make some changes. Let me know your weight once you have followed the plan.

If you have any doubts or any questions then please do not hesitate to ask me. Ask me 100 times and I will reply back 100 times.

Be very religious to your walk. You are happy then walk, you are sad then also walk. There is no negotiation for not exercising. You will have to walk no matter what. If its snowing outside walk in your room for 30-40 minutes.

Check my blog for Soya burger recipe, eating with smaller spoon and cooking with fist rule. They should help you out.

Slowly but surely you will achieve your weight loss. Please don't be disappointed with slow speed, its far better to lose weight slowly then not to lose at all.

Google walk at home. You can watch walk at home on exercisetv.com. One of the readers in this thread has done that. See the previous posts in this thread and you will find out.

These walking techniques are great and easy and can be used inside the house (just in case if you are not able to go out).

All the very best. I sincerely hope that this works for you.

Have a great day ahead.

6. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva

Saw your post, pictures and read your blog. Great job lady :thumbsup. About me I never had weight issues but post pregnancy need to loose 5 kgs and trim tummy and tone up. I do suffer from back pain so have been putting diet off and on. Now want to seriously knock off these extra kgs! I am 5 ft 2 inches and weigh 55kgs.

Can you share with me some healthy salad and soup recipes. I have noted down your pumpkin and tomato oat recipe. Will try them.

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

Good to see many people here coming forward to discuss weight issues and looking for a solution.

As about me, im still having severe cold (and sinus pain) and still not back to gymming. Im walking at home though.Trying to maintain on diet.

Did you face this initial setbacks in dieting? How was your first month of dieting? What bodily changes/side effects did you face?

I want to get back to normalcy before i resume my exercises.

8. shivachoubey

Dear Himmani,

Wow you are 55 kgs. Knocking off 5 kgs won't be difficult. Make only one change to your diet and that is replace your dinner with soups and salads. Thats all. Have a heavy breakfast, proper lunch, evening snack, the normal routine you follow but dinner have soup-salad and fruits.

You will note the difference in weight very soon, also if possible introduce some walking in your schedule.

I only make 3 soups. 2 you already know. The third one is dhuli moong dhal (yellow) pressure cooked with bottle gourd (lauki/ghia) + garlic. Once this mixture is ready, in a separate frying pan take some ghee, add cumin and green chillies, little tomato and then the dhal soup. I have it with lemon and it tastes delicious.

All the best for your weight loss.

9. shivachoubey

Dear Pman16,

Great to hear from you. I was wondering about you yesterday. Its only now that I have faced this set back. I still have 10 kgs to go and had built my stamina and phew it went with the cold and flu.

In inital months of weight loss I just shrank there were no side effects. And catching a flu is normal

This past one week I did not diet while I was sick as I could not cook anything healthy neither did I exercise. Did I gain weight?? NO I did not thats the best past about being sick.

The only thing that I followed was drinking hot water. I have heard that it does wonders to weight loss and I decided to give a try this time and also because I had a sore throat and it seems to be working.

Please take rest and don't push yourself. Your health comes first.

Get well soon Pman, I miss you on this thread. You are one person who is always exited and full of enthusiasm for weight loss. Its a pleasure to see you so dedicated and working hard towards your goal.

10. ankitakarwar

ankitakarwar New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    Shweta here. I had just posted a comment in your Project week 1 blog. As asked by you let me give you my ddaily diet chart. its not the same daily but this is how it goes:

Early morning - 1 glass of warm water
    Breakfast (8.30 Am) - 1 dosa/1 plate upma/ sometimes corn flakes
    Mid morning (11 Am) - Green tea (not v regular on this)
    Lunch (1 PM) - varies. Generally 2 chapatis + Vegetable. Sometimes tend to have maggi or sandwitch even.
    Evening - Mostly nothing ( I don take tea/coffee etc.)
    Dinner (9PM) - 3 rotis (without oil) + Sabzi + 1 small bowl curd.

This is my general routine but as i told you i have started my project weight loss today. So I will give you a brief of all that i ve had until now

Morning - 1 glass of warm water
    breakfast - 1 bowl corn flakes(without sugar)
    Mid morning - 1 cucumber
    Lunch - 2 chapatis + 1 bowl dal
    almost 2 litres of water since morning.
    Dinner ( planning to have) - 2 rotis + bhindi sabzi + curd

please guide me what changes can be made. Or if you suggest anything different then please do!!
    I will also walk for 30 minutes sialy starting today.

Eagerly waiting for your reply!! Need help badly:-((

Thank you soooooo much