A visit to Hongkong

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific - Other Areas' started by vishy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILs

I am planning a holiday with my family to Hongkong in November. Could you please suggest any must see places in Hongkong... I am planning a 10 days trip... please suggest.

Though I got a lot of information from the net.. I thought I'l get first hand information from you all ....

Looking forward to your valuable replies...

Thanks

2. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Dear Vishy,

there is a Disney Land for the kids. this info i got from my friends.

Wait for the other IL ites to respond.

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

if you are a vegie then there was only one place where couple of indian veg restaurants are there.

i am trying to recollect the name of that area....

shall post on remembering.

10 days might be too much for HK, but you can plan to enjoy the most in a relaxed frame of mind unlike we tend to see the max in minimum number of days.

it's a great place. enjoy HK.

4. neev

neev New IL'ite

There are a whole load of things you can do in hkg...
    *Disney land in Lantau - ( a tad small when compared to the others in the US, Paris, Japan etc), you could finish it in half a day...if your kids are little they will love the parade which is only twice a day at a certain time and you must wait for the fireworks, which is at the tail end of the day, near the disney castle. If you have the budget, stay at the Disneyland Hotel and have breakfast with the Disney Characters.

*The Peak - where you can take a designated tram ride uphill from Central (where you get the exciting hkg view, they also have a Ripleys believe it or not museum, there are cafes and restaurants).

*Ocean Park - which is an all day entertainer (similar to disney land ), they have a dolphin n seal show sometime mid-day, roller coasters, various rides and walks along scenic routes and a cable car ride..(chk if Water world is open - you can take your swimming gear as they have a wave pool and other water activities).

There is a Ferry trip you can take from this place called Tsim Sha Tsui (chim sa choi) to Central ferry pier (again this takes you to the central business district).

*You can also do the outlying islands like Lamma from the Central ferry pier, although the piers are different from the Central one. The outlying islands trip is maily for bird watching and eating authentic chinese food and hiking (outdoorsy activities).

*You can take a Cable car ride to Lantau from Tung Chung (where you can see the big Buddha) but be warned on week-ends the cable car line spreads really far....so try a weekday.

*Sai Kung is another place see for its sea-food restaurants.

*You can go to Tsim Sha Tsui for Indian food there is a place called Woodlands in TST east, that by far is the cleanest in this area. There are other Indian restaurants scattered in the city at various locations in Central, Wan Chai n Causeway Bay.

*You could also chk out Night Market (bargain shoppers paradise), Bird Street(quaint market street selling various stuff), Wong Tai Sin Temple ( probably the most revered shrine for the locals), Lan Kwai Fong (pub hopping and gastronomers delight with plenty of night life).

*The Science and Space Museum in TST.

The public transport system is probably the best in the world, with trains arriving every 1-2 mins at peak traffic hours, with feeder buses both big and mini, not to mention the trams within the city grid. You would hardly need to use a cab.

If you enjoy experimenting with food its a delight with local hole in the walls, Thai, Vietnamese, Sichuan, Shanghainese, Malaysian, Singaporean and Western food.

Its fun...go get that trip...10days filled with activities.

1 person likes this.
  5. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

don't miss the train ride to the PEAK and make it in the evening.

the city night view is wonderful.

also on the PEAK don't forget to take a picture with Jackie Chan - Madame Tussad's Wax Wonder. I love Jackie.

6. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Dear Bindu

I'l definitely visit Disney land. My son is 8yrs old now and I thought it's the right time for him to visit the Disney land otherwise he'l outgrow it.

Thanks for your reply.

7. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Dear natpudan

I may visit Macaw also. For me a holiday means leisure. So won't be shuttling between places in a hurry. I like to enjoy my holiday - like you said, in a relaxed frame of mind. We are not strict veg. so I think we can manage there isn't it?

Thanks for your reply natpudan.

8. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Hi neev...

that's a lot of information :thumbsup..... I'l take a print-out.

Were you living in Hongkong by any chance?

Thanks buddy... I'l tell you guys about my experience once I am back from my holiday. Meanwhile, if any other place or event crosses your mind, please do post here... I'l be checking this thread for your response...

9. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Hi nat,

I'l not miss the train ride to the PEAK and will definitely take a picture with Jackie Chan, as suggested by you. Even I like him... I think he is very cool....

10. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

if you are not a veg then you can easily manage.

public transport is one the best in the world.

if you are visiting the disney probably you can explore the option of staying there itself.

have a great vacation.