1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Very Irritating Habit Of My Baby

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sweety2016, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I a working mom of 1 yr old angel...I am at my wits end and completely drained out physically and emotionally.She is yet to walk and crawls around really fast. But keeps putting her fingers on her mouth..Worser is, if she had to sleep, I need to lie down with her and she pinches my lips with nails, pulls it twist it till she goes to sleep. If I try relieving myself she cries like anything. Yesterday night she cried continuously for 1 hr getting angry on me.. I had tried telling her calmly, got angry but still she doesnt leave this..My lips are always chapped and sore because of this..Morever she is too naughty, cranky eater, underweight, falls sick often and this makes my life still more complicated...Any suggestions ladies??
    Also would you suggest me some good books on how to handle a toddler effectively...

ChennaiExpress and Archanaanchan like this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Kids will be naughty. U can Google for books regarding kids. Try to divert the kid when she is angry with some toys or even picture books.

Sandycandy and Sweety2016 like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

First thing to try is to distract n redirect them to something else.

Next, never give in when they are throwing tantrums.

I read a lot during my pregnancy and as I faced each challenge, I read even more online.

It is said that when you have to train them about something or when they throw big tantrums or very naughty, you should jus ignore and stand firm. Because when you keep giving in, they keep testing you more n more.

First few days they will cry for a real long time, then as days progress, the time comes down, for eg, 60 mins -> 45 mins -> 30 mins -> 15 mins -> 0 mins. But if you give in, in between, the whole clock resets and starts all over again.

This way, it helps them to realize that their tantrum is not gona be heard, you are the boss and they have to communicate in a calmer way.

There were a few things I had a real challenge in training my son, esp his sleep training, n I tried this method. N it really worked in my case. This is hard, takes time, a lot of patience and more discipline from us than them.

I had same issues as cranky eater, underweight, falls sick often - my doc used to say every kid is different and they will learn by time. If any medical intervention was required, doc will say. It was still so frustrating for me. But doc was right, they did learn by time n it got better esp after his pre nursery. He started eating on his own seeing other kids eat.

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Try to get someone else put her to sleep.

Don't be available for a week during sleep time

Sandycandy and Sweety2016 like this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

:) OP , Welcome to the hidden realities of motherhood. It is quite common. Dont worry ,you will figure it out how to manage your angel. Try to divert her with toys, sound or some thing else when she is in negative mood. She is only 1year old .. What else you expect?

"she pinches my lips with nails, pulls it twist it till she goes to sleep" - Can you use baby socks or gloves on her hands when you take her to sleep. Baby's nails are very sharp, we need to watch it every day. Try to lie down with her, swing her or make her sleep first and then take her to bed.. Sing some lullabies.. etc.. test what is working for you..

If possible, try to create a schedule for her (feeding,eating, sleeping, bath time etc), stick to it . ?Initially it will be tough.. but soon it make your life easy. It worked well for me. The advantage is that you both will know what is going to happen next. That makes your job easier. Babies also need training. (check IL forum on this topic for more inputs).

Sandycandy, sindmani and Sweety2016 like this.
  6. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

Thanks for your responses.
    To clarify some of you, She cannot be diverted with her toys. she wants a new thing every single day. so nowadays I take her with me to kitchen and engage her so that I can feed her..So feeding her has become ok with lots of collateral damage..my kitchen is an entire mess nowadays!
    When I make her sit in a stroller so that I can go to wash room she cries and makes a huge scene..Once she was hanging upside down with head slightly above the ground even after putting the belt within a matter of seconds. The only way to divert her is to give her a biscuit but after that she doesnt eat dinner..;
    With in seconds she removes and throws away her hair bands, socks, caps..she hates accessories. So putting gloves is ruled out.
    Ya she is on schedule..We come home from daycare at 6.30...evening snacks at 6.30..dinner at 8.30 and we go to bed at 9-9.30 but she takes around 1 hr to sleep..Yesterday I was bit relieved. Based on your suggestions, whenever she tried pinching I kept telling no no and did not allow. Suprisingly my cutie got the point and did not force herself..but she did try at regular intervals..i was firm and kept telling no no..and switched off the night lamps as well and she dozed off in 15 mins..A chota mileston I suppose:) DOnt know whats in store for today..

Sri2196 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Yay.. progress :D

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, my DD had a habbit of pinching my neck while feeding her. She pinch me with her finger and watch my reactions while doing this.. It was not that fun. But I really enjoyed the way she looks at me..There were scratches in my neck. I have heard similar stories from my friends also.

Lock in all your kitchen cabinets and keep everything out side her reach.. You can give her small/light wok/ utensil . pressure coooker (I dont know why kids like this !!!), so they will play with that too.. My living room coffee table was like a kitchen counter. Take the toys away and give the older one to her.. rotate the used one.. For some reason kids can be diverted with noise like exhaust fan, blender , vaccum cleaner sound .. etc.. works well..

".evening snacks at 6.30..dinner at 8.30 "-Dont you give her bath.. Use a tub , and utalize that time as a play time too. bathing in warm water helps with her sleep.

Dont worry, this stage will pass. Anyway, try and test various options , like ignoring her tantrums. They do most of these to seek attention.

Sweety2016 likes this.
  9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    I just stopped to say 'welcome to parenthood' . Path ahead is only going to get worse. :)
    Wait when they turn to toddlers and come in those terrible 2s . Save your energies. MY angel has already turned from angel to little devilyn and I fear her.

10. vedhikasankar

vedhikasankar Senior IL'ite

Try to distract from crying ,that is showing some toys ,pictures etc ..