1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Vent (random Thoughts Mostly)

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Endlesshope, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

It’s been a while that I posted here , but it’s just been a overwhelming night so it calls for random vent post .
    Some of you know me from the ancient times , we moved ahead from all the craziness of infertility - the much coveted male child is now 4years . And the much coveted male child bought some sanity (I thought ) to the inlaw situation. Not that we have become best of buds but I at least called once a week and kept it to a courtesy of “all okay ?” . But over time I guess having totally different ideologies, that is they being regressive and I being more the Naari Mukti Morcha type, things had to fall apart . Once a while if I came across a very patriarchal view I kept snubbing it down , for example , your surname is still “y” you are now a “z” you need to change your name - I said nope , no thank you I am happy being “y” and I am living with “z”(dh) anyways and keeping my “y” name will let me be both . Not as much a smart mouth comment but at least I tried (I think ). May be I should not have ? May be I should have just said yeah sure I will and left it at that ? May be just laughing anything offensive would have been better ?
    Well anyways things fell apart last night , dh (this guy is a true champion of women’s empowerment if he only just kept quiet and not prodded me to stand up for myself , may be things would have been better ) , yes so the DH was having a 1:1 with inlaws on how they can better treat their Bahus - haha - which obviously dint go well . Then came out the vomit of allegations of- how I dint divulge my pay - How there was no dowry - how my parents took money from them to book their tickets to the foreign land we live in and this is a way by my parents to humiliate them - how I make snarky comments - how I never invite them over to the foreign land - how I never cook for them ( so the expectation is I go stay with them for few months and cook and clean - no don’t even ask ) - and how inspite of all these humiliations their son has not stood up for them and that he is under a magical influence right now and how when they die and he won’t be able to touch or feel them even if he wants too that when he will realize how wrong he has been - and how I am basically a ichadari nagin vs the sanskari bahu they want .
    Eventually the call ended with them saying things will only get better if I the younger one will work towards it and they are too old to change ,till then we don’t have to call or care for them ??!!

I cried yesterday a lot after a long time . Not because I need their validation but it hurt , i stood by my husband no matter what ,my parents supported me financially (no not happy about this ) when we were in a financial mess .4 years ago I would have never in my dreams thought I would be here doing so much better and to hear that people keep tab on how many times I cooked for them versus I slave here together with their son to build a better future is just heartbreaking .i feel the need to stick to my ground as a women but also feel sad for not being subservient enough just so I don’t break a family ??!!

There is so much more to life than cooking cleaning and the Bull crap drama . I wish people stopped living behind these false social facades and made living much more fun and happy .
    Edit : had to add , even made a comment as to how lucky I am that they don’t physically abuse me and I don’t have to face things like that with them

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    nakshatra1, Meghaa and pinkgal like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

EH, I think I remember you from some TGIF timepass threads and other threads. A vent is every naari's janam siddh adhikar. birth right. : )

Actually, I found 'coveted male child', 'ichadari nagin' and some more stuff funny. : ) though I understand this is a vent.

Most likely you know the way to deal with this. Keep the talk to 'hello how are you?', once in a while speak up like you did for the last name change, don't participate in 1-1 calls DH is having about how they can treat bahu's better. Other than 'hello are you ok', do not engage with in-laws. And don't make a show out of the not engaging.

These are just phone calls. You can avoid letting them impact you so much. Needing to vent once in a while is fine but letting them occupy so much mind space on a continued basis - no no.

Let DH talk what he wants with them. Don't make his conversations with them a topic of conversation between you and him. That does not mean that your in-laws become a taboo topic, just that you consciously keep discussing them to a minimum.

3. Endlesshope

Glad you remember me Rihana , I liked the anti gravity bharatnatyam woman :relieved:
    So far the modus operandi was to say “hello are you okay “ once a week , but with last nights call ( I was not involved in the conversation never have been , this particular conversation happened to be on speaker phone ) status has been upgraded to “if docile bahu doesn’t shape in there need be no further talk between the two families including their son “ and hence the whole overwhelming feeling .
    But I see your point , since it’s a family dynamics always change if it ever goes back to talking mode I will auto revert to “hello how are you “ and further developing much thicker skin .

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I liked her too. : )
    Keep the "how are you's" genuine. Faking it or doing it unwillingly will make you feel down before and after the phone call. View it at a task that is needed to be done, and if done efficiently, you will feel better for the rest of the week, and over the long run, your DH will appreciate the class you show during this phase.
    Not going to ask why it was on speaker phone when you are not involved in the conversation. But, try to not be even a silent participant.
    Thicker skin is always a good accessory to have in life. Other than that, go back to the hello how are you mode now itself. Gaps make it harder to resume. And, don't think things will always be like this. Like the TTC phase passed, and now things are better than they were then, in the future too, things can or will change. In-laws will get older, perhaps mellower, and you also will have a more philosophical and more experienced approach to these things. For all you know, even 4 years from now, you might wonder why the heck a phone call across the seven seas overwhelmed you so much.

5. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Well...only who faces it knows the impact of has on the person...i have had faced this kind of abuse or complains or whatever it is innumerable times in eight years of my married life.and more often without any support from husband...it is difficult to let it go..it does affect for a very long time...but still for your own sanity and the loved ones God has blessed you with, try to forgive and forget and move on...life is too short to waste on those unimportant people..

Endlesshope likes this.
  6. Endlesshope

@Rihana its been 6mnths and continuing to make the weekend phone calls and keeping it very simple no matter what . I am beginning to realize that no matter what I do or how I do things are not going to get better , they are destined to be unhappy with me . Need to learn to live with this and continue to keep the calls and visits going on . Hopefully I will grow wiser and detached (from being irked and annoyingly surprised every time ). And reading some very depressing threads I am grateful for a understanding spouse .
    I wanted to thank you for caring enough to listen .

Rihana likes this.
  7. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Do not engage in discussions with in Laws. I learnt it the hard way. Now I just sit and listen and don't give my opinion on anything. And i have very strong opinions.
    Most importantly your in Laws are your husband's parents. They will naturally hate you...so try to relax and keep conversation to minimum ...stick to health and general well being.

fourthaugust likes this.