A twist to Karadaiyan Nonbu

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by shwethas86, Apr 13, 2011.

1. shwethas86

shwethas86 New IL'ite

Hello,

Recently my sister celebrated her first Karadaiyan Nonbu. And the rituals done as guided by her MIL was quite different.

Usually in our home, our mom didn't wear a madisar always and she'd tie the charadu for herself. Here's what happened at my sister's place:

She was asked to wear the madisar and the charadu was tied to her by her husband. Usually, in almost all brahim families, the women do a namaskaram to their husband's after they tie their charadu and break their fast with it.

But in my sister's, she had to wash her husband's feet and then apply kunkumam on his feet. After that, she had to put flowers at his feet and then show karpuram to his feet.

Once that was done, she had to bow down to his feet and her hubby had to throw akshathai over her and bless her the usal sumangali bhava blessings.

My sis wasn't happy about it. But since it was just a few days before she and her hubby left for US, she seemed to have done the ritual.

I didnt know such a custom existed in the tamil brahim community. Has anyone had any similar experiences or anything close to it? Can you relate?

I know for a fact that there is a festival called Bheemana Amavase among kannadigas where the women do a pada pooja for their husbands. But I was sure there was no such custom among tamil brahmins.

What are your thoughts guys?

Regards,
    Shwetha

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

We are also Tamil brahmins, but this ritual seems unusual for me as well

The karadaiyan nombu what we do is what you mentioned at the beginning.

Strange!!!