1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Story of a Valentine's Day And A Few Days That Followed

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful Satchi.... Hatsoff to both you and BH for braving the storms life sent your way.

1 person likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

5 years to the day this day. Reading what I wrote then had a very surreal feel to it. Time has flown by. Am so glad I am able to live as close to a normal life as is possible with all that went wrong during and after the event. All I can say is I feel so deeply grateful to God for all He has given me and to all those friends who wrote such lovely posts here with such kind words of support.

kaniths and iyerviji like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Glad to know you are leading a normal life dear. God bless. Love u

satchitananda likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saatchi,
    Very glad after what all you went through you are leading almost normal life, by the way, who has a perfect life? Everyone has their ups and downs. To be with each other when really needed, both good and bad times holding each other's hand is the best Valentine's day. Need not be diamonds or roses or chocolates.
    Syamala

kaniths, iyerviji and satchitananda like this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks Vijima. :)

6. satchitananda

Thanks Syamala. Not a truer word. In fact I would get seriously worried if the BH were to bring me roses or diamonds on Valentine's day and as for chocolates, well, after shouting at me for eating too many sweets, he brings a couple of bars home whenever he sees something different. It does not have to be 14th Feb for that!

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

QUOTE="shyamala1234, post: 3942349, member: 178862"]Dear Saatchi,
    Very glad after what all you went through you are leading almost normal life, by the way, who has a perfect life? Everyone has their ups and downs. To be with each other when really needed, both good and bad times holding each other's hand is the best Valentine's day. Need not be diamonds or roses or chocolates.
    Syamala[/QUOTE]
    Very true

shyamala1234 likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Thanks Viji for the nomination,I had the opportunity to read your wonderful experience
    about spine surgery on Valentine's Day.
    We had a similar experience at home.My brother-in-laws daughter,aged 19 at 1988,she was in her final year of graduation,had a shooting pain in her back, after she had lifted a bucket of water from downstairs to her room upstairs in the ladies' Hostel in the college.I brought her home.A series of tests followed.She could not even walk.She started crawling.We consulted No:1Orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai.He advised surgery.2nd, 3rd opinions were dissimilar.We were informed of the possibility of getting paralysed after the surgery.Her parents were abroad and could not come over due to some serious visa and passport Issues.We, as uncle and aunt had to take the decision.Already my husband was ill after an accident.
    Ultimately ,whether right or wrong,with so much hesitation, with her parents' concurrence over the phone we decided to go ahead with the surgery.As blood transfusion was an expected one,a week back, the patient being young, donated her own blood.We stored it in some other blood bank in some other corner of the city and made arrangements to have the blood delivered during surgery.
    After surgery, she continued to have pain, stated to be after effects, cold weather etc etc.ultimately the surgeon confessed that there was a grave mistake in the surgery and he had to re do it with some other strategy.Taking risk the second time> That too in the absence of parents?We could not help.
    There was confusion among the surgeons as to whether it was 'fission' or 'fusion'?We repeated the procedure,another 10 days in the hospital.Though the pain subsided.

Her parents came.We were put to lot of questions -in the place of thanks.
    Doctors advised her not to beget children as even the caesarian section may prove risky.It was a tricky move to tell half truth.
    The first one was still born.After two years she gave birth to two sons through normal delivery.She wanted me to be by her side as a source of strength.Even today she has pain, wears hip belts, does not lift heavy weights.But leads a normal life.Her son is in 2nd B. E.
    I can never forget the tension we underwent during both surgeries and deliveries until she was able to move her limbs.
    Jayasala 42

shyamala1234 and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

sounds all so familiar. Sad story is that the pain has not gone. Two screws have broken inside. I refuse to undergo any more surgeries unless I am laid up completely. Right now I manage with SOS painkillers when it is unbearable and at others, I do whatever I feel I need to do including climbing ladders to pull down stuff from lofts etc. Life goes on. Am so grateful I was not paralyzed or laid up in bed the way I feared between those two surgeries. God is great!

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Bravo! You might be the person to write a blog from ICU of a hospital and a person who underwent so many surgeries. When we experience constant pain life becomes miserable and so we are forced to seek some remedy. If only surgery is the solution and no other option definitely we have to accept it. Your hospitalisation was a boon in disguise to IL to have a wonderful blogger.

Though I was hospitalised many times fortunately I have undergone only one major surgery. I was having hypertension and heart problem more than 30 years. I had heart attack in 1997 and was hospitalised. I underwent many scans and was diognosed that I had a single gal stone at the mouth of the gal bladder and so I have to go for surgery. Due to my heart problem anaesthesia was given only just to cover the surgical time. Hence I was experiencing severe pain. Pain killer and antibiotic medicine was given. I have started vomiting and my sister and hubby were to be holding a bowl at my side the whole night. At the lower part of the right side of the abdomen a cut was made for about 6 inches to remove the gal bladder and was sutured after the surgery. I still have a mark like a centipede.
    Though I was advised to go for angio test in 1991 at Vijaya Hospital I have refused and told the doctor I would prefer to be under medication. I have made this decision because my duties and commitments were all over. I am taking medicine for BP and heart problem. Today in our apartment complex doctors from Apollo hospital were conducting BP and ECG test for the residents and I was advised to consult a cardiologist as my ECG was showing abnormal. I still prefer to be under medication only.
    PS

satchitananda likes this.