1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Simple Diwali Gift From A Friend!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Happy Deepavali

Dear Sridhar,
    First of all wishing you and your family a very Happy & Spraking Deepavali.
    If you can spin a story of film actress from a wedding photo....shows clearly you are a great writer:clap
    Indu deserves a big pat on her back for the selection of story, which would not have been very easy for her.

Regards
    USHA

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear Sridhar,

Waiting to see the picture now....the story you spinned makes one ow wonder what was the picture given, which brought out such a poignant story! A story with pathos , and so much of reality , weaved in for a picture of Kalyaana Kolam.....mmmm.....that is a different and interesting plot!
    keep it up....:clap

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

ah, that is the fact.

Dear Sridhar,
    I was wondering when I saw the pictures. They were in a old type, and I thought may be the picture was drawn in reference to the story. It is really wonderful that you have written the story for the picture. It is really wonderful, the description of Mala's pathetic life. It is a very moving to read that she could not even dream of a wedding, this may be the case with so many junior artists who entertain us.
    I have heard that many poets, like Kannadasan, wrote the song and then music was set for that song. But now the music is first created and then words are fillied- this explains the meaningless songs in films. In Malayalam films, sometimes a poem is set to music and that is always mentioned also. I prefer poems set to music rather than music filled with words.
    But 'story for picture' has reiterated your talent of being a good story teller. Hats off to you!
    HAPPY DIWALI TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Story For Picture?

Dear varalotti,
    I was amazed at the nature of competition. As varloo said I have heardof picture for story but this surprised me. I could very well imagine the picture, Indhu was right!your story surpasses all imagination. I am very moved and impressed by the picture of Mala. So many malas hang out near studios just to save their families from poverty. My heart went out to them and I am deeply moved. Thankyou for yet another good shot
    Wishing you,Indhu,Preethi and your parentsa very prosperous Diwali.
    Regards,

5. वेदश्री

वेदश्री New IL'ite

Thanks a lot !

Sridharan Sir,

Wish you, your family, your friends a very Happy Diwali.

I have got your gift for which I am really very thankful to you, but getting it in actual will take considerable time for me ( as I am not able to read it out ! ) Is this story available in English also, so that I can read it out and enjoy?

Thanks and Regards,
    वेदश्री ( Vedashri )

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Will Translate For You, Vedasri!

Vedashri Madam, ( A sir gets a Madam)
    Thanks for your kind wishes for Diwali. Wish you and yours a very happy, safe and a prosperous festival of lights.
    As of now this story is not available in English. But I will translate it in English for you.
    I have already a number of translation commitments. So if my translation does not appear in 3, 4 days post a reminder in this thread.
    Have a nice festival, Vedasri.
    Your analysis of The Price is superb. It made me do a lot of thinking. Will give my response shortly.
    Meanwhile I want to you to read all the stories and subject every one of them to such an analysis.
    Thanks once again for your wishes.
    sridhar

7. rajeswary

rajeswary Guest

hello sridhar !

hello sridhar ,
    i am a new comer to this forum . i have already become a fan of you and chitvish . your " simple gift for Diwali " is very nice . i saw the Diwali malar . The story and the picture - made for each other ! please accept my congratulations sridhar !
    with regards ,
    Rajeswary.

8. varalotti

Thanks For Those Words, Chitra

Dear Chitra,
    True to your character you have hit the nail on its head. In this story the major part is to marry the picture and the story. And your words of appreciation sharply focus on that crucial factor. Director Balachandar used to say that only when his fans appreciate a scene in the same way he has planned them then only he is happy. You made me happy like Balachandar today.
    As an extra caution I did make the title also to marry the picture. That's why I could not think of titles like the one you have suggested.
    Thanks once again,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Happy Diwali, Usha!

Dear Usha,
    Thanks a lot for your kind Diwali wishes and I am pleased to reciprocate the same.
    And thanks for the nice words. As you know we professionals many times have to spin stories out of dull and drab figures appearing in the accounts, especially if the income tax officer or the bank manager is in a mood to listen. Having spun stories out of balance sheets and profit and loss accounts, it seemed quite easy spinning yarn out of a beautifully drawn picture.
    Indhu no doubt deserves a pat but not for the story selection (but for living with this boring mofussil accountant for almost a quarter of a century). The other stories, in her opinion, were so bad that she took just 1/100000 of the time she normally spends for selecting her sarees.
    Thanks for the nice words, Usha.
    regards,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear Varloo,

thanks for your nice Diwali wishes. I also have the pleasant duty of placing on record my gratitude for the wonderful e-card you sent to me. The card selection, the usage of words, the background music everything was good. Thanks.

Once you have practice in writing it doesn't make a difference whether the drawing comes first or the writing comes first. (A Tamil proverb: paduthukkitu pothikitta enna? Pothikkitu paduthukitta enna? Meaning both are the same).

The picture, though it was story-less, was awesome. The face of the bride, the pose of the bridgegroom the expression in the face of the girl who was watching them were all epic-expressions of a great artist, Madhavan.

The first two stories came off just like that. But I was not happy with them as any writer would have written the same thing. Then I treated the picture as it is - as just a photograph which is so divorced from reality. Mala and her pathetic life unfolded before me. My mom said after reading the story, "You could have written a whole novel on that theme."
    Thanks varloo for the beautiful words of praise.
    regards,
    sridhar