1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Serpentine Tale

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42
    Dear Jayasala
    You always tell us blood-curdling stories! This story also had a tinge of pathos.
    I have also heard of this gentleman. Modern science can offer no explanation for this cure.
    I thank @Thyagarajan for his additional input
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    My dear kk
    You never fail to pamper what I write even if it is about snakes!
    Truly a paternal advice. We read so much about the harmlessness of most of the snakes and yet we are happy to be scared of them! On the contrary, those harmless snakes are the ones that should be afraid of us.
    Sri

kkrish likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    Sorry for my second interrution,that too in Tamil.

முந்து தமிழிசை மூவரில் ஒருவரான முத்துத் தாண்டவர் சட்ட நாதர் கோவிலில் வாத்தியத் தொண்டு வந்த பரம்பரையில் கி.பி. 1525-30களில் தோன்றினார்.
    இளமையிலேயே பெருநோய் பற்றியதால் அவரால் நாதஸ்வரம் வாசிக்கவோ தவில் கற்கவோ முடியவில்லை.ஆனாலும் கலையின் பால் உள்ள ஆர்வத்தால் கோகிலா ப்ரியாவின் வீட்டுக்கு அடிக்கடி சென்று இசை நுணுக்கங்கள்,தேவார திரு வாசகப பாடல்களை கற்றார்..உற்றார் உறவினர் அவரைப் புறக்கணித்தனர்.மனம் உடைந்த தாண்டவர் உணவுக்கே வழியின்றித் தவித்தார்.இரவு யாருக்கும் தெரியாமல் கோவிலில் வாகனங்கள் உள்ள அறையில் படுத்து உறங்கி விட்டார்.
    அப்போது பத்து வயதுப் பெண் கனவில் தோன்றி,'பூசாரி வைத்து விட்டுப் போன பிரசாதம் இங்கே இருக்கிறது.பசி நீங்கு. நாளை தில்லை சென்று ஆடவல்லானைப் பாடு. நோய் தீரும் என்றாள் .கோவிலில் அன்பர் கூட்டத்திலிருந்து என்ன சொற்றொடர் முதலில் வெளிப் படுகிறதோஅதையே முதலடியாக வைத்துப் பாடு "என்றாள் .
    தில்லை சென்றதும் அங்கு யாரோ ஒரு அன்பர்"பொன்னம்பலத்தரசே ,பூலோகக் கைலாயம் சிதம்பரமே ' என்று உரத்த குரலில் வேண்டினார்.

உடனே முத்துத் தாண்டவர் அந்தத் தொடரையே முதலாகக் கொண்டு பாட ஆரம்பித்தார்.கனவு மெய்ப் பட்டது.

ஒரு நாள் இரவு வெளியில் சென்று வரும்போது வழியில் கிடந்த பாம்பு அவரின் காலில் கடித்தது.உறவினர் ஓடி வந்தனர்.காலில் கயிற்றைக் கட்டிக் கத்தியால் கீறினர்.
    தாண்டவர் மூடிய கண் களோடு பாடத் தொடங்கினார்.பாடப் பாட விரைவாக நஞ்சு இறங்கியது.
    இசையுலகத்துக்கு ஒரு இனிய பாடல் கிடைக்க வேண்டியே பாம்பு கடித்தது போலும்.இந்த பாடல் இன்றும் மேடைகளில் பாடப் பட்டு வருகிறது.
    இதோ அந்தப் பாடல்:-
    அருமருந்தொரு தனி மருந்திது
    அம்பலத்தே கண்டேன்

திரு மருந்துடன் பாடும் மருந்து
    தில்லை யம்பலத்தாடும் மருந்து
    இரு வினைகளை அறுக்கு மருந்து
    ஏழையடியார்க் கிரங்கும் மருந்து

கொன்றைத் தும்பை அணிந்த மருந்து
    கோதை மீதில் படர்ந்த மருந்து
    மன்றுள்ளே நின்றாடும் மருந்து
    மாணிக்க வாசகர் கண்ட மருந்து

இந்திரானவர் வானவர் போற்றும்
    இருடி கள் தமக் கெட்டா மருந்து
    சந்திர சூரியர் காணா மருந்து
    தானே முளைத்துத் தழைத்த மருந்து

திரி த்தி தித்தியென் றாடும் மருந்து
    தேவாதி முனிவர்கள் காணா மருந்து
    கருத்தைத் திருத்தி இருத்தும் மருந்து
    காலனைக் காலால் உதைத்த மருந்து
    I love this song born out of snake bite. Sorry, as the translation would mar the beauty of the song, I am reproducing in Tamil.
    jayasala 42

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@jayasala42
    Dear jayasala
    Reading this, I remembered what Gandhiji said about interruption. He said,'He (customer) is not an interruption of our work. He is the purpose of it.' When you read what I write, you become my customer. You can never be an interruption.
    That Muthu Thandavar episode is a very interesting one. As you say, if it is translated in English, it will lose its beauty.
    So we will leave it as it is.
    Sri

jvydehi and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya uncle,
    You do slither into all topics. Snakes are our friends. Legend has it that Kerala was the land of snakes, and Parasurama claimed it for the likes of me. In Kerala, they say that water, coconut n snakes operate on a strict code of trust n honour. They do not claim anyone who has not ever harmed them. We listen to this, and stay away from email creepy crawlies.

In this context, I must mention, one of my latest quests. To expose the fraud in Pambumekkadu, which is the most legit n famed serpent shrine in Kerala. Devotees pray for all kinds of solutions. It is a family shrine, and they dupe innocent devotees, totally preying on their vulnerability. They tried to trick me into parting with 42,000inr. But while the priests may be fraud, Nagaraja is not. He made sure that before I made the commitment, I received the right guidance to think cogently. I have been trying to get a journalist to do this expose, but no one wants to touch snakes.

Mannarsala ,of course, is an honest place. On the topic of snakes, if you ever get a chance, watch the Malayalam movie, GowriSankaram. Worth your watch.

A good piece, as always. I must read you more often. Those were good old times in IL when lot of good old friends were active

Cheeniya likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Vidya!
    How delighted I am to see you after a long, long time!
    My senior in IL, the first moderator of the Finest Post, a person who is responsible for my getting my personal space in Good to Read section. A pity that we don't see you often here. I don't know about others but I miss your presence here very much. If you assure me that you'll be more regular henceforth, I too promise to Ramble more often.
    I agree with you 100% I miss them too. Those were the days! Humor ruled the day then but people tend to be more serious now. But I do see a point in the shift. Life cannot be a thing to be humored all the time. We do need to take it seriously too.
    Snake temples are growing in number these days and even in Chennai, wu have quite a few. Nagercoil is perhaps the most worshiped in Tamilnadu. Now even TV serials rely heavily on snakes for their viewership. If the snake is also a part-time girl, it will have greater following.
    The role of a comet doesn't suit you. Be our Polestar as always!
    Sri