1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A positive life changing experience

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Riya007, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

“Your life will change after having a baby” said Gayle at the place where I work. Yea I’m sure it will, I thought dreamily, thinking of a beautiful baby sleeping peacefully in my arms. That was about a year ago. Fast forward now to six months after my beautiful baby is here. “Sleeping peacefully” – I don’t think so!

Simple things that I took for granted – like my sleep. Sonny suddenly decides some nights he doesn’t like the lights off, so he screams. I am terribly tired, just having plonked myself into bed. I nudge hubby to wake up. He just turns the other side and pretends he is snoringRant. I try to feed sonny so that he can go to sleep and let me sleep as well. I just turn the lights off when he screams again. What is it my raja, I coo to him. Go to sleep. I try singing all kinds of nursery rhymes (half of them made up by me…cause I cant remember the words). He looks up at me with his big black eyes ready to yell if I turn off the lights again. I gently tap him and half an hour later he is fast asleep. Good now, I can go to sleep as well. An hour later, I am still wide awake. My mind is racing thinking of things to do tomorrow. Then finally, I’m just about to go to sleep when the alarm goes off. What! Is it morning already? I get up and get ready to go to work. You don’t look like you slept well last night. Have the males been keeping you awake? Gayle winked at me. Didn’t I tell you, she says, life changes so much.

It sure does. Just last weekend, we decided to go to Sydney for a few days. Being from a Mumbai originally, if I saw the train from even outside the platform, I would tie my dupatta, pull my pants up and hop skip and jump onto the train. I saw the train at Sydney and decided to do the same thing. Hey, where do you think you are going and what do you think you are doing, hubby asks. The train, the train, I yelled pointing to the train, trying to draw his attention. What about him, he pointed down to the pram. We have to use the elevator. I looked at sonny. He is busy gurgling away, not a care in the world. By the time we reached the lift, I could see the train leave the station. That’s it, there our train gone. Had to wait half an hour for the next one.

Looking at my life now, I cant go for a night out with friends or go for a few days for a picnic or even go to the mall without putting him in the car seat, taking his pram out etc. My friends who don’t have babies yet say I have become boring. Just wait till you have one, I tell them. Its not that I can’t do things. Its just that it is too much of an effort. I have changed so much. I would jump at the idea of going away for a few days or just going for a drive by myself. But now I have to think of what I need to do to make my baby comfortable whilst I am away. I hesitate leaving him with hubby for too long as hubby cannot settle him. He is the best husband and dad but sonny gets bored playing with him after a while and starts crying. Husband tries to settle him but if he can’t, he’ll just leave him in the cot and let him cry.

I’m not saying I’m not enjoying my life. Having my baby is one of the greatest gifts God could give me. I reach home and he gives me the biggest smile ever and that makes my day. I love him to bits and would do anything for him. Yes, life really changes but you have to make a lot of adjustments. I have become more responsible now and make decisions on my own. I have started a new friend circle now, with new mommies like me and we get together to discuss our babies, what they did, how to overcome problems etc. I feel like I am on a new journey now, leaving my old self behind, the old immature me who at one point in time couldn’t take care of my own self bonk. Having a baby has changed my life, yes, but I am enjoying every moment of it and would not give it up for anything.

2. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Hey Riya that was a good one, njoid reading it. Of course it takes lots of responsibilities and if we say we are 100% beaming with joy in doing all chores and missing sleep and various other things, it will be less truthful. But a phase that cant be skipped :) It has its own fun though...
    May be as said, it helps to increase our responsible behvr.
    Njoi the period..Hugs to ur little prince.

Love,
    Amy

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Riya

that was a neat write-up. Life with a baby has ups and downs, before you know it he will be in school. Enjoy this period . Love

4. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Riya,

I see an efficient writer in you. Please treat us with more of your write-ups.

Superb narration. The train scene was ultimate.

5. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Dear Amy, Sundarusha and Oviya,

Thanks for reading my blog and am glad you enjoyed it. Yes, lots of responsibilities and sleepless nights and what nots, but all worth it in the end!

Love, Riya

6. dilens mom

dilens mom Senior IL'ite

Hi Riya ,
    very nice wordings. enjoyed a lot.
    Me too in the same journey.
    so hope we enjoy more.
    bye for the moment.