1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Not So Intellectual On Jallikkattu & Tamil Unity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Jan 21, 2017.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

you have added more details, thanks pavithra.

am so happy that the younger generation has realized the values behind traditions and are in full support of it without any external influence. Way to go to redeem what has been lost at the hands of so called society governance syndicate.

PavithraS and jskls like this.
  2. GoogleGlass

tks ls. it was an opportunity to share my views and was never to force the same on anyone. when the larger mass feels it should be protected, no law can stop that. for the people by the people of the people - doesn't seem to be the case though here.

PavithraS and jskls like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

GG. I'm just curious. Have you conveniently ignored the caste politics involved in Jallikattu? As per your words, if this tradition goes long way back in history, then in the times when the castism was at its peak, who had the lands and the cattle GG? Does it not make it a tradition of that particular sect or community? How is it right to call this is a tradition of entire Tamil people? I have read many cases about the lower ppl being murdered for trying to participate along with, well you know who, and only in the late 2000s after court orders it became a sport for all sections of the Tamil society. No? If this is true indeed, I strongly suspect their involvement in the current protests too, so they can have 'their' traditional sport back just for the sake of their caste pride. No mention of all this, because GG you think IL will ban us? Am not pro or anti, just trying to process every alternative ideas as well, before taking a stand on the issue, not blindly support because I'm Tamil too.

Gauri03, Omija, shyamala1234 and 6 others like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

ha ha ha not conveniently ignored, k.

yest it was there no doubts about it. but now it has greatly been reduced - stray incidents do happen as harm to these bulls - there can be no foolproof system to stop these. once found the culprits have to be punished. no excuses.

take it to any modern game, rules are being continuously formulated to enhance the game and in most cases the revenue.

if a league is formed as in cricket, many corporates will take over and merrily make money with the support of the the petas. none would dare to stop them.

there has been no instigation from any side on this - my family friends myself have played a part in support of this. ppl are voluntarily flocking seeing the news and the youth participating in it with so much enthusiasm.

me frightened of being banned in IL? u missed reading the regional post view :):):)

tks k and welcome to add more anytime - am not trying to prove my point here.

the best take is the relentless youth unity for a common cause. may they continue to fight for many other things...

sangeethakripa, PavithraS and jskls like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

well said m.

it is that fighting spirit of the youth that we need now to thrash the corrupt bureaucrats and politicians.

sangeethakripa and jskls like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Hm still not sure if you got my point?! I'm not talking abt the 'murders' or people being killed by the bulls during sport but about the SC/ST ppl who were killed becuase they tried to participate. I hear the practice still exists in major regions around Sivagangai dt, I have not personally witnessed it though. My point is, it wasn't entirely a Tamil culture thing even in history but of few higher Tamil communities and had been until late 2000s. So possibly there is much more deeper caste politics involved, which is not being brought to the limelight. Just like how 'dravidism' was a lie for various political agendas, this being projected as 'Tamil culture' maybe too.
    Boss nanga adelam munnadiye ketachu, IL admins replied you, my posts were deleted. Simple! :D
    Starting with the actual issues of suffering farmers? Yep, high time already!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Gauri03, GoneGirl, PavithraS and 2 others like this.
  7. GoogleGlass

Wow, do u think I am one who is behind awards, SS? :)

I have been here long enough to notice the differences and now u may ask, why then am here still. u can't have all that u like/want, move around in areas where there is comfort level with the ones am interacting with.

i am associated with a regional forum where we take care of these and appreciate creativity in that language and give out cash awards every year with certificates and annual gatherings.

initially there were over 50 regional enthusiasts here with awesome contributions - gradually they left for many reasons incl the one i had mentioned already.

having not taken personally is the reason am still loitering here :)

PavithraS, periamma and jskls like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

awesome @stayblessed ! Loved ur response

stayblessed and GoogleGlass like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

thanks SS for the blurb. the writer philosopher is celebrating the social claim rather than the private claim - tks for sharing.

not alone hunting many banned things do exist.

jskls likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Gg thanks for the mention. I was at picnic at my husband's professional body where I met people from all over the country, some of them made fun of jallikattu and the angst of step motherly treatment that the national media finally picked up a couple of days earlier.

I talked to the group of people and they all reminisced about what all went missing from what was their in their childhood. I wondered if people here also thought that it was Jallikattu vs. peta or tn.
    It is more than that. In the scheme of becoming modern did we unknowingly let go of wonderful things.

Sorry this is not a post with references or intellectual debate. I am all for it but not in this post.

I have talked about a lot in my Indian lunch thread on and off. Few friends did say you already talked about it before.

It is protest that is not new. 2013 there were just 17 people who stood on the marina with a banner and today it has become big. And there are few great men who have worked behind the scene for the same for a few years and if we get the ban lifted it is because of those men and the students and the families and the state that believed and believes in it.

As a farming related family(my great grandparents, grandparents) that is no more into farming I know how things were and how bad things are. We owned cows, we owned lands and our village owned a temple bull that was prized. Every maatu pongal the cows the bulls were worshipped. All our celebrations revolved around that. We never used fertilizers and the bliss of self sustainability can't be expressed sans electricity (till the 80's).story of many villages.

I can talk on what all we have lost in the name of urbanization. That should be left for another day.

Every protest comes with a cost. Hope the cost we pay is minimum and the benefits are long lasting.

And yes if you read messages like what I read
    " shame on you and shame on your parents for staying days and nights in the open in the name of protests, you are prostitutes" seriously it may feel it was not meant that way to you, but a speck of poison can make others look at those blossoming courageous kids and ladies differently.
    I strongly object to the language that Radha used, for a senior person holding such a position spewing such harsh statements was wrong.

I am proud of the people who laid low and are protesting peacefully in spite of all these indirect instigation. A riot of violence would play so into the hands of the waiting political parties that are already waiting like vultures to take their piece .

What I take away as a Indian from this protest or even before...

Be proud of being one. Stop degrading India and Indians. You can't penalize a basket of apples just because of one.
    We take the bulls by horn literally if need be. The rest I already wrote