1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Not So Intellectual On Jallikkattu & Tamil Unity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Jan 21, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

OK, I had never heard of Radha Rajan until I read the posts above, so I went back and looked at a snippet from her interview (?) here (in Tamizh). What she's saying there is quite harmless. Her point is that no matter what the issue, you can get people to assemble in support of it. Such a gathering cannot by itself legitimize the issue in question; it remains open to debate. I find this unobjectionable.

Of course, she mentioned 'sex' and that too of a 'free' variety - woooooh :yikes:! And everyone got excited. Oooh la, la. What I think she really tried to say was that, even if one were to lobby for an outrageous position, like free sex, which is against prevailing moral standards, one could get people to come out in support of it - i.e. 'free sex' is objectionable in Indian society, but you can still find some people to come out in support of it. That does not make it right. Similarly, her position is that even if people gather in favor of jallikkattu, that does not vitiate a ban by the courts on grounds of animal cruelty (I haven't followed the issue. I don't know whether a ban is in place or pending). Nothing she said demeans women or Tamizh culture.

As for the jallikkattu itself, this comes across to me, uninformed as I am, as another case of elites trying to ram down the throats of 'country hicks' ideas that they are not quite ready for. It invites a reactionary backlash of just the sort that got Trump elected. I am a tree-hugging vegetarian, but I think there may perhaps be a more pressing issue or two to address in Tamil Nadu.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Omija, vaidehi71, Nonya and 5 others like this.
  2. sokanasanah

Real Google Glass Awards? Excellent! Kudos!:thumbsup:
    My point was simply that a majority of the threads on IL are driven by the members, not admin. There's no reason to feel that regional languages are actively excluded.

3. sokanasanah

GG you might enjoy this excerpt from Douglas Adams' book "The Restuarant at the End of the Universe" about 'an animal that wants to be eaten' - coming soon to a GMO supermarket near you, no doubt!:lol:

vaidehi71, GoogleGlass and Viswamitra like this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

GG Thanks for bringing out the clear picture of jallikattu .

There are many scientists in the world and only a very few get Nobel prize .is that mean others are not intelligent or not eligible.A few bulls are highlighted in the scene to show the potency of their breed."oru paanai sotrukku oru soru patham"is a proverb in Tamil .we just take a single rice iin the spoon and check whether it is cooked well .Is this related to some research?if so please share with us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
    PavithraS and GoogleGlass like this.
  5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

GG,

First of all kudos to you for such a detail post on Jallikattu and the way the Tamil Youth has been protesting in an amicable manner.

But sad that you have to dig on IL Admins here, as part of such a thoughtful post! We don't mean to digress this beautiful thread from it's original discussion, but as an admin, we have the responsibility to clarify, though one of our senior member (thank you @sokanasanah) have tried doing the same already. Here's the original intent of why Tamizh or any Regional language posts for that matter, aren't part of Finest post awards. Our Finest Post Judges are not knowledgeable in all Regional languages to handle the Regional language posts, as well as even Members nominating posts and seconding would not be able to do a fair nomination if Regional posts get included. So we kept Finest Posts award only for English posts! If we had really seen Tamizh conversing as an uncouth act, we would not have had sub-forums to welcome Regional language stories, snippets and poetry.

Hope this clarifies!

PS: Once again kudos on this great thread, it will be featured in IL's Social Media page for more exposure and awareness to public.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear @meepre

You and other Tamil IL'ites here are absolutely welcome to start threads on Tamil Culture & Traditions. Would love to have a repository of the same in IL :) You may choose to post them in Regional Language posts sub-forum in Snippets (or) even in Culture forum, wherever it would fit the best.

PavithraS and GoogleGlass like this.
  7. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

That was a fantastic snippet. Thank you thank you for this write up.:number_one::number_one::thumbup::thumbup::clap2::clap2:. You have covered almost everything. So many times I have worried about our disability to do anything against the government and the other forces, so many times went on in a self introspective mode why are our hands tied to fight against corruption or any evil against the society. Now now is the proudest moment of every tamilian that we the tamilians are the first to take a step towards it. A huge crowd fighting rationally, ethically for the entire india, yes for entire india. If the ban is lifted then am sure the bans on other traditional games in other states would be lifted too. We cannot sideline jallikattu as a petty issue when other issues are to be addressed. Fighting the ban on jallikattu is not just a fight to conduct a game, its a fight against the corruption, against the fraudulent politicians who have sold themselves and pledged the public welfare for tonnes of money, against the forces trying to curb our pride, tradition and culture. Fighting for jallikattu is just a small spark for many more to come, it sure would have kindled the fear in all those corrupt forces that they are being watched, that we are not just going to be mute spectators for all the evils anymore, standing tall as an example for the other states that if we cant stand up for ourselves no one else will.

Massive respect my dearmost thamizhans and thamizhachis.

Ha ha ha ha brilliant question or i brilliant answer i must say.

What a perception, very nice

:roflmao:

I thoroughly enjoyed your soul touching snippet.

PavithraS, jskls and GoogleGlass like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

GG, good one. I had been looking for an easy to read description like this one about the whole controversy. These kind of moves by the "elite" can be so annoying and tiresome.

jskls and GoogleGlass like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

tks d1. you are most welcome to express your views and I would never take it wrong for sure.

these were traditions dating to circa 500 BC when there were no measures but just beliefs and practices that did give desired results even to date not only on this but in many other things. money and giving girls in marriage were all later developments and now they are not as prevalent they were then.

it was a sport to celebrate the harvest and encourage the youth to get into farming and develop the habit of appreciating the farmers for feeding the world, thanking the nature...

more than we have scientific facts to prove the benefits, the so called beneficiaries thrusting new inventions have about it.

many such practices at home have irked me against mom, dad then and now when I turned a parent realized the meaning behind those traditions and cultures. World would not be all that fun and lively if we start asking for scientific evidences in these aspects. As long as they do not harm anyone and even if not yielding any benefit, better follow to keep harmony at home and society is my take.

there are families raising these bulls and the families raising them are respected and compensated in the society, not just the winning bulls but all those raised by them are given credit and are used to naturally inseminate to grow the local breeds. On record there were 37 types of local breeds and now only 3 are existing.

dnormx01, PavithraS, jskls and 2 others like this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

GG you are right, a sport can be regulated not banned. And it is the failure to regulate jallikattu despite supremke court charting out some 70 plus rules and regulations that led to the ban. I hope this time the government would be more careful and would not look the other way when rules are violated. On one hand Jallikattu has become an economic proposition (It brings in dollars, particularly Alanganallur depends on tourist revenue) and when it becomes a business proposition and is commercialized, the tendency is to cut corners like not looking after bulls properly or torturing them to get the right amount of rge. This unfortunate tendency must be ended. As for PETA I have long suspected that it is a tool of agro-multinationals.