1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Not So Intellectual On Jallikkattu & Tamil Unity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Jan 21, 2017.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A not so intellectual on JALLIKKATTU & TAMIL UNITY

There has been a lot of hue and cry about this JALLIKKATTU in the last week and has been so for many years which most of us are not aware of – we were too busy in our own self-centric world, to put it in simplest terms.

As the title says am neither that proficient nor knowledgeable to write, verify and vouch for the facts behind it but as a commoner would try conveying my views after having gone through what has been happening around in the past few days with respect to JALLIKKATTU.

The festival of PONGAL is not religious and it is a farmer’s festival. Whichever religion the farmer might be, he celebrates and follows his religious rituals and it doesn’t in any way affect his relationship with the other rituals of a different religion. This is the specialty of this festival and has a history dating back to 500 BC or even earlier.

All other festivals if I may say are related to distinct religions. The modern day finds in the global arena like Valentine’s Day and a few other days are also non-religious, that is what it is proclaimed to be and let us not delve into their origins for now.

The day after the Pongal is Maattu Pongal dedicated to the cows and bulls that keep the farming cycle up and running to feed the world with healthy stuff and not the GM (genetically modified) stuff. People traditionally celebrating these have truly respected the cows and bulls and these were family members and just not 5 sensed living beings.

To familiarize the farming culture, to celebrate the nature, the 5 sensed beings, a sport was designed as JALLIKKATTU to unite the community involved in such practices and also those not involved to respect and thank those who are involved.

Bulls were /are raised in utmost quality by feeding them, taking care of them much more than their own children at home. These bulls are let loose in the sport and youngsters try hugging the hump and travel a distance to prove their valor. Later prize money was tied to the bull and the winner can take it. Much later the giving girls in marriage to the winner were also in practice.

The main agenda of the sport was to raise quality bulls that were used to multiply quality cows and bulls to keep the farming cycle going. These animals are the ones that give A2 milk that are so healthy. The modern day Jerseys give A1 milk that leads to various deficiencies in human beings that can be kept alive by the global medical mafia by selling their medicines for ever.

Now jerseys are being imported and bred in India to force artificial insemination to our cows and spread their breeds and kill the local breed that would ensure healthy human beings – if we are healthy, the medical mafia will choke, if we choke drinking A1 milk medical mafia lives.

Coming to the next the local farmers are dependent on these beings that help in tilling the land, their excreta is used as natural manure which ensures healthy crops and healthy humans. No sale for the global fertilizer mafia and the medical mafia.

Some 20 years back in the WTO Indian politicians signed an agreement to reduce 20% of farm lands in X number of years on agreed time scales to ensure that slowly but surely that the farming will go to the hands of corporates – the mafias who would then dictate what you and me can eat at what price.

By killing a healthy farming process they made sure that their business is ensured and successful in the years to come. Forgot to mention the tractors, which were a find actually to kill the local breeds, the local fertilizer, etc.

If you want to rule you have to kill the tradition and culture of those who you want to rule is what someone had told. Spread the pub culture, kill the local culture and let the cultureless mob spread for us to rule them, is also a way of taking control. Aren’t we part to it???

The local special breeds of dogs have almost gone extinct by a similar act of the global mafia. We love sporting a Pomeranian and a Boxer and many other imported breeds isn’t it?

The local medical practices that were so good and gave us relief without side effects were also turned to be not so popular by the global allopathic medical community so that their business can survive and rule us forever. The ancient practices may have or may not have cure for all but did have for a majority of our illness – highly debatable. But all the new diseases could be attributed to the unhealthy food we take isn’t it? The GM food.

Jaggery and Karuppatti the sugar of those days were replaced with white sugar which led to diabetes isn’t an understatement by any means. The herbal tooth paste, powder that we were using for centuries had salt which were replaced with modern day pastes slowly and now they have come out with pastes having salt and question us “does your paste has salt?” What a joke isn’t it???

Bear with me am touching all related issues that will show you how the international business/corporate community/mafia is taking control of us. Coming to the international beauty pageants – in the last 2 decades only or so that we see Indians, Asians, and Africans winning them. That was to spread the business of modern day beauty products in our countries. If they let us use our turmeric our skin would remain healthy and no business for the global mafia.

About education – we were pioneers in education from the days of Nalanda and beyond BC 1200 or so. Now we are dependent on the western influenced curriculum and have forgotten our roots. Haven’t we been idiots to embrace modern curriculum that would say we are intelligent by their standards/sub-standards?

Those days we were healthy to a far greater extent than now – all our traditional sports and games have been taken over by cricket and the likes of it. And very recently by the gadgets which turn us in to couch potatoes – these were also for a purpose, to make us dependent on the global mafia. Devices can be sold, unhealthy practices can be induced, and you would turn to allopathic doctor, medicines for help, go to a gym to exercise on modern equipment, dietician who would prescribe those that benefit the global mafia. The chain goes on and on.

This JALLIKKATTU is just not about just bulls and Tamizh culture, it was just a uniting factor of the youths to remind our healthy and far superior traditions and culture and to fight for them against the global mafias and our sold out characterless politicians, media personnel and so called saviors of the animals in the name of PETA and others.

This is just a beginning of the youth movement for the world to learn from it – brotherhood, religion put at bay, caste, creed devoid, gender inequality, safety for those girls who braved to fight against and you can go on and on about the positives of this movement. Not a glass of a vehicle broken, building damaged, vehicles broken, lit on fire, litter left, no common man affected in the midst of all these protests in the nooks and corner of Tamizhnadu. Voluntarily crowds are pouring in to participate and help each other by providing food, water, medicine, etc. This culture of helping each other revived the yester year tradition and culture – that we witnessed during the Chennai floods and Chennai Storm that occurred in the recent past.

An ardent office bearer of the PETA, Radha Rajan whose name am ashamed to spell, on BBC said if FREE SEX is assured 50,000 people would gather in support of it. How dare she say so about the girls, women, families, boys that relentlessly are fighting to save tradition and culture? Surprisingly she seems to be from a traditional Tamizh family. World over communities have come out in open in support of tradition and culture, which she failed to recognize and she claims that she is for the welfare of the 5 sensed beings. What a joke, height of making fool of a tradition, culture and women and youth of our nation.

She also quipped are these bulls participating by their own will. Let me ask – does the goats, bulls, cows, chickens by their own will are turning to tasty/sumptuous biryanis, leather jackets, sofas, slippers, shoes, belts, etc.

Many other local breeds in Maharashtra, Punjab, Orissa, and Karnataka have also been wiped out by these global funded mafias in many names and forms roaming around in the guise of protecting animals.

I have realized that these days folks like me are fond of calling ourselves global citizens and neutral to all issues/religions, political views and have pride in saying so – portraying a lovable character to all.

Haven’t we sold ourselves to these mafias shamelessly? Have pride in belonging to your culture and tradition and language. If you are capable of trading all these, you are worthless piece of S**T and remember that too a GM S**T and not the natural one as we are eating the global mafia sold GM food.

We were slaves for centuries when we failed to be united and the same is now happening at the hands corporates, shame isn’t it?

On practical grounds it may be very difficult to practice all the old traditions, food habits, medicines, games etc., which is understandable. We have lost many in the past decades and many of us are not even aware of those as well – but to an extent follow what that is possible to stay healthy and have fun in our traditions. If not possible at least do not mock at those who fight for it. That’s the least respect you can give to them who are fighting for a cause that would benefit even those of us who don’t support them, in the years to come. Do realize 99% of those that are fighting are not aware of the JALLIKKATTU until they started participating for this UNITED CAUSE.

See the bigger picture – all women, girls were safer than they can actually be – out in the streets in the night and for over 5 days now. This is the culture and tradition of the Tamizhs/Indians. The world has a lesson to learn from the youth who are out there. No politicians, no actors, no leaders to guide and they have consciously kept them away – great act of the youth for a better future, including the ones who mock at them.

Conversing in Tamizh or any other language other than English is looked at as uncouth act even here in IL – regional posts are excluded for the finest post/narration, we seem to sport an international community that I had spoken earlier about. Sorry IL admins for saying this but this is the truth.

The fight for tradition and culture, ironically it is happening in front of Vivekananda House who wanted just 100 youth to change the country. The eldest youth in the name of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam isn’t there at this moment but he would be proud that he has been a guiding factor in shaping these youth for a better future not in hundreds but in millions – it is estimated to be over 12 million.

Sport can be regulated, monitored, governed but not stopped - international community has no right to intervene and ban a traditional sport. If so start that at your home and then come here.

On a lighter note – how nice it would be if PETA like organization takes away problematic MILS, DILS, FILS, BILS, SILS, DH, DW and give us the freedom that we want from those associated tradition and culture of getting married?

Come PETA come, we are eagerly awaiting you to enter our living room and dictate who can have relation with whom, as you command – you would be slapped with slippers and shoes and brooms, a surprise to you as our youth have woken up BEWARE.

I haven’t ever attempted such a long post, sorry folks. I am not here to argue with anyone who doesn’t realize what I attempted to. It’s your right and freedom as mine is.

Thanks @Shanvy @periamma @jskls for pushing me to write this.

Anisu, Prameela33, Kamalji and 27 others like this.

2. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

I understand the importance of breeding etc but what I did not understand is why is jallikattu the only method to find the best bull? Why tie money and marriage as bonus to the winners? We need quality bulls right? So what has it got to do with encouraging guys to tame it? If it's been scientifically proven that in the past these bulls were used to breed the best quality cows then scientific research should also be available about the characteristics of that highest order bull right, those that won during previous seasons ? Then why can't we make use of this information to scout the best bull? Even better, use the information to grow all bulls into the highest quality ones so more are available. Why is this practice the only way out?

I am not for or against anything but just asking a genuine question. Call it ignorance or innocence but please don't misunderstand.

3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Thank you GG for this post. And also for this following lines :)

We as a society are very cultured and loving people, it was our ancestor who proclaimed Love is God. It is our custom to elevate the 5 sensed living beings as even our Gods' vehicles among other things. Bull being the Vehicle of Lord Shiva Himself. We as a society has supported and embraced Jeevakaarunyam- Mercy for all living beings equally. Who are these foreign organizations to teach us about Mercy ? These people have all business motives masked behind their show of love towards animals.

This is a very serious issue. Consuming this milk given by the foreign breed cows lead to Poly Ovarian Cysts being formed in young girls and women making them infertile. How many TTC threads even in IL we find now a days ? It pains me to see how our women are deprived the gift of Motherhood by these cheaters whose agenda is to eliminate our local milch animals and promote corporate business. This is not only limited to Cows and bulls.

They are the reason that the Local Dog Breeding place run by TN Gov in Saidapet was closed down citing hygienic reasons. I have personally raised nearly 10 dogs this far in my life while I was in India, all local.

No GG. This is high time we talk and touch all issues relating to our culture. Our silence is being taken for granted by people in power. It is time to show our solidarity and unity in fighting for good causes. We can not be mute spectators while these mafias take down our rich roots. I am very proud of our TN Youth who have shown that if there is a strong and united Will then there is surely a Way to success.

Shame on her. Has she not seen how the girls and women feel safe among thousands of men of our soil ? Not even one ugly incident or unlawful incident has taken place all over the State. How cheap is this person's mentality ?
    100 % Agreed with your view. I support this Spirit of Tamil Nadu Youth. I strongly believe that these youngsters will now question the status quo and unite for a cause and ensure welfare of the people and its Nation. A Great Dawn Beckons Us All.

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

What an impressive post where you have touched many aspects
    Every Indian has a lesson to learn from this. This movement (beyond religion caste or creed) should bring changes in politics too.

Yeah today they are selling turmeric garliccetc in capsules; so many different types of yoga is in mkt

Ha ha good question:)

Proud to say Im a Tamilian (regionally)... Proud of those youth who have made the women folk feel so safe. Remembering Gandhis quote

The day a woman can walk freely on the roads at night, that day we can say that India has achieved independence

Atleast TN has achieved it hats off to the youth

Yes yes yes .... agree 100%

Thank you for obliging our request. Thanks for taking pride in our language our culture our tradition

Radha Rajan is a disgrace to Tamil community
    Last but not least thanks for writing in a simple language that even kids can understand :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

Thanks GG for writing this. Well written. This is the right time for people to unite and fight for our culture so that we can save it for the future.
    It is sad that the current generation already are unaware of certain traditions and cultures followed in olden days. This we can't just blame the global mafia, few of our people are also responsible for not passing on the process to the next generation (not all a very few). Some customs stopped due to convenience and some because there was no exact knowledge of why it was being followed (turmeric was used in face for its medicinal property, but some people used it just because it's auspicious).

I really appreciate you to have touched most places being influenced by global mafia. Thanks for spreading awareness. As you said I got into details of why Jallikattu is needed only after people started campaigns before pongal. I also feel this sport is needed to show the braveness of tamilians. Veerathil siranthavargal thamizhargal.

I appreciate and respect all the youngsters out there who made this happen without any harm to people and with all safety to females.

Shame on Radharajan to have talked like that being a tamizhian.

Just a small suggestion admin after reading this thread, why not open a thread to share the tamil cultural traditions being followed and the need for it. There are some elders in IL who might know even some traditions which are not in practice now. This information will help people who are not aware and also can be a guide for the future generations. This may help us in keeping ourselves healthy.

uuzhagathavar anaivarukkum "Nam thaayagam ana thamizh naatin veeram, kalacharam, panpaadu mattrum tamizhan enum unarvai thooki niruthi gauravithu kaatiya intha thalaimulaiku thalai vanangukiren".

Nammai othukiya oodagangalai (NDTV, CNN, TIMES NOW etc), thedi vara veitha perumai nam thamizh makkalin mudhal padi anaithayum maatri amaika.

Thanks @GoogleGlass once again, and sorry for the long reply.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I wouldn't take that so personally. I think the original intent was to be inclusive, to prevent balkanization. If you were to start a thread highlighting good Tamizh posts, I don't think anyone will stop you from giving out Google Glass Awards. Go for it!:roflmao:

7. sokanasanah

re: Jallikattu: Similar debates about animal cruelty vs tradition are going on elsewhere. Roger Scruton has written a passionate defense of fox hunting, which is a tad bit more final for the fox than the jallikattu. A short blurb here, for those not driven to read the book. BTW fox hunting still thrives in England, even after a ban.

vaidehi71 and GoogleGlass like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

Radha Rajan's statement is unpardonable, senseless and disgraceful description of those women who have the right to fight for what they strongly believe in. There is no question that genetically modified food is not healthy for any one of us. However, where is the evidence that taming a bull by a few men in an event makes the bull become stronger to inseminate and make the cows deliver calves? Has it been scientifically proved? Also, I am not familiar with PeTA's operation in India but in general, PeTA has brought some very good changes in the operations of farms, pharmaceutical, leather and many other industries. It is my humble view that there is no clear evidence that PeTA's intent to ban JK is only to promote foreign products in India. Isn't it run by the Indians in India? If they are corrupt, why would the government not take action against them? Besides, how can foreign products enter India without the government duly-elected by the people approving such products? Don't India have the system of displaying the products as genetically modified so that people can make an informed decision before buying them?

There is nothing wrong in asking for JK in Tamilnadu as a tradition as long as there is assurance that there will never be cruelty to the bulls involved. If people with six senses can assure that the bulls will not be drugged, rules will be followed like in sports, etc., perhaps, the court itself wouldn't ban JK.

In my view, it is more important for the citizens to respect the decisions of the justice system. Peaceful protests are okay to communicate it to the government. But there should be time given for the government and judicial systems to act after conveying the message and the act of conducting the demonstrations until the decision is reversed is an act of coercion and defiance to the justice system. We have to remember that even when Mahatma Gandhi disobeyed the laws of the land when British Ruled, he did it to convey the message to the British Rulers and always pleaded guilty to the charges as he considered his acts as civil disobedience.

There is nothing that could be solved by disrupting normal life and spending time on the streets forever as opposed to the students educating themselves. The right approach should be to select a few leaders and discuss it with the government or file a public-interest petition in the court of law.

Viswa

9. sokanasanah

Actually you can go ahead and start one yourself. You don't need prior admin approval! :beer-toast1:

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

On a separate note he does support creativity (in tamil) by giving out cash awards from his own pocket in another tamil forum

Sorry to mention this @GoogleGlass