1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Night With Ghost!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Aug 11, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli's thread Does Ghost Exist Or Not? inspired me to narrate this unique experience of mine with ghosts a few years back.

I am still not sure weather this experience was for real or some hallucination. But, I know it happened somehow and it stays fresh in my mind even after 5 years. A lot of things have happened in between, but this incident has made me very different from who I was before.

If I remember correctly, this incident happened on 17th of Jan 2012. It was right after the Government's announcement to allow people, to return to their homes, after the deadly war in the north of Sri Lanka. The war killed so many innocent souls in 2009, and evicted everyone from the 2 crucial districts - which were previously controlled by the LTTE.
    It took another few years for the Government to improve the living conditions of these war zones. Several foreign agencies played a vital role to support the Government's initiatives.

I was working for one of those relief team, representing an International agency. Hence I visited to these place to make some preliminary assessments before we bring people inside.
    We (me and my colleagues) stayed in one of those half damaged buildings (those were the only available decent accommodations there) and worked in the field.
    We usually go back to our respective homes during weekends, and come back to work on Mondays.
    So, basically very few people (civilian staff) would be living in those cities during the weekends except the military presence and security forces who safeguarded us 24/7.

One Friday day, I missed my dispatch shuttle to get out of this place, as I was late. So, I had to stay back in that house over the weekend, that too all alone.
    I was very brave then, and I made up my mind and planned something to occupy my weekends.
    Remember, we didn't have TV or internet in that place, as it was completely cut off from the main island due to war.
    I cleaned that house in the AM, and then cooked something for myself.
    I had plenty of books thus I didn't felt lonely or boring till the evening.

Then came the night - i would say deadly night!!!
    At 7.30 pm, I was ready to retire at bed.

Those days, the only entertainment was to watch movies in laptop. We would bring CDs from our homes to watch movies almost daily.
    I switched on my laptop and started a regional movie to kill my boredom.

While the movie was on, I heard a weird sound coming from the second bed-room, where some of my colleagues would usually sleep.
    It was like a ringing bell.
    A tiny noise similar to what we hear in the temples during poojas.
    The sound kept on coming at frequent intervals, and the frequency became very short with time.
    Since that room was locked, I did not enter inside. But I was looking through all the places of that house, including the washroom as the noise came from different angles now.
    It was still around 8 or 8.30 PM, and I could feel human presence here and there on the streets. So, I wasn't scared.
    I even thought it could have been the sound of goats or cattle who wear similar bells in their neck - I've seen them in the villages; thus I didn't wanna rule out this posibility.
    But then, i remembered there were no animals in that city. Either they were killed in the war, or escaped.

At around 10 PM, with a torch light in hand, I bravely opened the door and peeped outside to see, where this weird noise is coming from?
    But it was in vain, as I could not correctly locate the sound, which came from different directions, and was very intense now.

It got me very scared. I was very nervous and started to shivering as I was all alone with some mysterious thing happening around me.
    Sadly, I did not have the key to that second room, where this sound originated from.

Somewhat i moved my body to my room, locked from inside and started to chant some prayers from the heart.
    I remembered, that I had a pocket bible in my hand-bag, and a tiny bottle of blessed oil from St Lourdes basilica. Until that moment, these holy items stayed untouched in the corner of my bag. But that time, they seemed as my only rescue from heaven.

After the prayers, I felt blessed and had the courage to get out of my room, keeping the holy bible in one hand, and the holy oil in another hand.
    It was around 1.30 am. I went towards that second room where I heard that bell was ringing continuously!!!

I pushed that door so hardly, and it was opened. I switched the lights on, and found that mysterious bell on a table. It was ringing on its own.
    It was a copper bell and there was absolutely no chance that it could ring on its own.

I poured the holy oil on the bell, and touched it with the pocket bible. It was still ringing though.
    But I was so confident that I should do something to stop this - the evil spirit, immediately. I was so determined that I must do this.

As I turned back, I saw a traveling bag of my colleague, which was left partially open.
    I dumped this bell inside that bag, placed the holy bible above it, and poured more oil. Then grabbed some cloths from a cloth stand, and placed them on top of it.
    Now I zipped the bag, and closed that room.

I felt an immense relief as the bell stopped ringing.
    It was around 3 am and I finally went to my bed, and slept.
    The next day, 18 Jan 2012, was my birthday!!!
    For me, it was like a re-birth!!!
    I pleaded to the military to find some transport means to take me out of that zone immediately. So, they helped me get a pass to travel in an out-going ambulance that noon.

I did not return to my work after that day.

2. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Ohh You are really brave to stay alone....

3. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

That's really scary and very strange incident! You have faced it with great courage!

teenulahari likes this.
  4. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Oh god! was it really a ghost. So scary:shocked:

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Really scary.....so I have to believe that ghosts are there. Ghosts season running on IL....:)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Naari and jskls like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Quite creepy!
    Good you faced bravely

7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

On a side-note @SGBV , I was very keenly following the war, especially around 2008 time frame when Mullivaikkal happened and then post that, when all the UNHRC etc was going on.... just curious.... since you seem to have been so involved with it... what is the status now? Do the White Van kidnappings and all that we read on the web really happen?

I have read accounts of both sides, but have never been able to determine what is propaganda and what is not. Can you give some first hand info? I

Mistt likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for reading my snippet.
    Sorry, that I was traveling ; thus couldn't respond to you immediately.

I would say, I was blindly brave back then. Foolish enough to take risks in life.
    But I am very practical now a days!

It was very very strange incident. First and last time in life so far.
    I feel proud that I handled it somehow.

I don't know. Still I am not sure whether it was an hallucination or for real.

Even Ghost season is running in Tamil Big boss!!!
    I really don't know whether Ghosts exist or not. But this incident made me do a huge research on Ghost, and I've found so many accounts where people experienced similar stuff all over the world.
    I would say, some evil spirit...

Of course... I am happy that I faced it somehow. Thank God!!!

Mistt, Dishaa and teenulahari like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I've sent you a very detailed PM. Sorry for the late response, as I was busy with loads of traveling these days.
    Since it is a very sensitive question, I don't wanna share my POV openly here.