A new career

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by pran21, Dec 14, 2011.

1. pran21

pran21 New IL'ite

Hi friends, I'm Prerana. About me I have completed my PG in Physics in 2001.I got a job offer from a software company. but it wont last due to recession.After that I took a lecturer job. For the past three years Im not working.And now moved to U S..that too on h4.My son will be 4 in a couple of months. I want to do some software course, instead of sitting and watching movies . so that I can fulfill my old dream. Im 32 now. does that matters? Is anybody here who is in the same boat? guide me pls
    Prerana

2. JothiSaravanan

JothiSaravanan New IL'ite

Age is not at all matter. you can learn at any age. In which part of US you are living? Do some testing course if you are not comfortable with coding, if you are interested in coding, then do course oracle or .net course, do cerification, and get in touch with good consultant, definetly you can get job. just plan for 6 months, put more effort to succeed. if you are in bay area, there are lots of free seminars and one day courses in sfo, mountain view, berkely which can help you to learn, meet other people, get a feel of IT markets, you will get to know about jobs too. all the best.

3. pran21

pran21 New IL'ite

Thanx jothisaravana for your motivating words. I'm lacking this from my DH. We r in colorado.

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

As Jothi said, age is not at all a criterion for further studies. It is the passion which counts.

I am 31 and i will be joining a full-time MBA course next year. It is my dream from a long time and now i am able to take a break from work and pursue my studies. So you have company :)

Dont worry about recession. All people dont lose their jobs during that time. So be proactive in your new job, learn quickly and be ahead of the curve. This will help you hold on to your job during such times.

1 person likes this.
  5. lakshmipavi

lakshmipavi New IL'ite

as the saying goes,there is no age for studying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    all the very best!!!!!!!!
    if u like networking u can do a course on that,u have lot of certification exams
    which r just one yr course r 6mths......
    pls do check that too,if u like,go ahead

6. pran21

pran21 New IL'ite

Thanks orion80 and lakhshmipavi. I too was worried about recession. Here Studying anything is a costly. So after spending my hubbys money, if I cant find a job I cant even think about that( he's a lil money minded:)).Thanks for the positive words. Its definitely giving energy.

7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

How about an online course from India? Will it be cost effective for you? You can also try various tech forums. I personally gather more up to date info and detailed explanations in tech forums than any classroom trainings.

8. pran21

pran21 New IL'ite

Thats a good suggestion. Can you suggest some good institutes?

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Which courses you are interested in? Give me all probable options. I will check various institutes and revert.

10. pran21

pran21 New IL'ite

I'm interested in Java...But many are suggesting .Net. So these are my two options.