1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Jolly Building

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

A Jolly Building

A piece a news today amazed me. Don’t worry, it is me who spots the juicy news in the same 3 buck newspapers that u also read, but just that I skip the politics, and murders, and just see for something chunky, and this was one news today.

South Mumbai has Cuff Parade, an area reclaimed from the sea. Means the sea was dried and land created, and today it is one of the most valuable pieces of real estate that anyone can dream about.

If my memory serves me right, these buildings were made by Sindhi builders. Sindhis must have their hands in every pie eh ! Some of mumbai’s top builders are sindhis even now, like Raheja and Hiranandani.

Cuff parade is very close to Colaba. Among the buildings, there are these towers called “ Jolly Maker Towers, two towers, having a total of 180 flats. One of them got sold a few days back, to one of the owners of Patni computers, who sold out to I gate phaneesh Murty, it fetced a record price of some 28 crores , at more than a lakh a square foot .it includes a covered parking for two cars, which alone can fetch a crore these days.

How does it feel to sit in such an expensive apartment eh ! And what must be the montly maintance charges eh ! Easily like 30,000 /- per month , or so. For small timers like my mom , she pays 3000 a month, a cousin fo mine pays like 15,000 a month for half that area in another part of Mumbai .

Well this is the best part, the apartment owners pay nothing, infact they get 6 lakhs to 12 lakhs cash each year to stay in the apartment .Dont believe me, well well read the papers and this news link here

The Richest Housing Society in India - Indian Real Estate Forum - www.indianrealestateforum.com

Now where do I come in here eh ! Here is my story, a story of my past,this report jogged my memory, so here I go back in the past, and my association with this .

We were staying in Chembur , the suburb, where RK studios is there even now. We were on rent,a nd Dad wanted to buy a flat. In our family the first thing we do is buy an office first, ublike today where everyone wants to buy a swanky house before he buys an office. Dad had bought an office in Lower Parel, in the mid sixties, and now he made some money and wanted to buy a flat closer there.

There were two choices, one was Worli Sea Face, where new apartments had come up, facing the sea. Worli was still a poor man’s place then, today it is a posh area. And another choice was this Cuff parade which too had come up then.

The rate was the same , 100 a square foot. Dad asked us, and I said, Dad , worli is better, for yr office is 2 kms away to lower parel, and my college SIES is close by at Sion, from cuff parade both will be far.

And my two NRI uncles had flats in this Jolly Makers, some 2500 sq feet of it, and they wanted to sell, and we were looking for a flat. So listening to me, Dad bought it at worli where we still stay.

And I did not like Cuff parade, for there was a stench of rotten fish all around, I used to visit a friend of mine, who stayed there, in one of the buildings, and I found it too far, and clustered, where u can see in each other’s flats.

And we missed out on a fortune, due to my insistence , we could have had that 30 crore flat today !!!!!

My cousins stay there, and one of them who stays in this jolly maker says , they get free newspapers, and milk, all paid for the society, for the society is rich, as they have given out some premeises they hold, on rent which fetch them some 50 lakhs a month income, so the stay for the residents is subsided.

The cousin has fallen on bad days, but he does not want to sell, for he gets 6 lakhs to 12 lakhs every year , sitting at home with free milk and newspapers, what more can u ask for.

And about my uncles, who had those flats ? Well they sold off cheap, for some 300 or 400 a sqare feet, in the seventies, and today both uncles are broke abroad. Fate/Destiny, whatever u call it that is it.

As for me, I have no regrets about this, about missing out on this 30 crores. We don’t have that much now, but we are not badly off either, each of us brothers flourisihing, and we don’t have time for regrets, at least not me.

But surely this Jolly Chambers is giving its residents a JOLLY good time eh !

HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI

May God give u a beautiful Wife,
    As pretty as Mayawati
    Slim as Jayalalita,
    Quiet as Mamta Banarjee,
    OR
    As young as Pratibha Patil !!!

Yamraj killed 3 people by accident.
    God directed him to pay 50 crores to each.
    The marwardi and Gujerati took the money and came back.
    The Sindhi is still bargaining !!!

Teacher – pappu what is yr caste ?
    Pappu replied as under
    First we were Verma,
    Then we became Sharma,
    Then sunaar,
    Phir lohar,Abhi hai Darzi,
    Aage mummy ki Marzi !!!

Anna Hazare asks Baba Ramdev- I am thinking of getting married, should I marry a unmarried girl or a widow , please advise.
    Baba laughs and says – marry the unmarried, she will become a widow very soon, don’t worry !!!

Secretary – Why does yr wife look at me so suspiciously ? what have I done ?
    Boss – because before u, she was my secretary !!!

Two best advises for safe life
    1) Always speak the truth, no matter how bitter or harsh it may be
    2) Run immediately after saying it !!!

Sindhi to wife – Darling please go and ask the neihbours for Iodex
    Wife – They are stingy marwaris, they wont give.
    Husband – Well in that case , take out our own Iodex from the cupboard !!!

1 person likes this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Kamalji,

Thesebreal estate prices, oh they scare me I do feel like that NRI who is poor by India's standards. But Kamalji every time I read something like this I can't help but feel as to we need to device a way to give back to the society. Seriously all that money in free newspapers and all that you speak of can make such a difference in some one else's life. No I should not speak sitting some where else....but I can wonder can't I?

Well, that is more important - being happy with the decisions we made at any point in our lives. It is nice to see that you are a content person and that is why you come across happy. Thank you for showing us the way in a way here :)

3. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

That is one interesting post Kamalji. I would have never thought living in an apartment would earn you money this way. And I had to check twice, the zeros that followed 1, paid for a square foot three decades ago and what is being paid now!! Thanks for sharing :)

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi kamalji,

I read this article too in TOI. wow 39 crores for a 2500 sq ft flat? crazy it sounds to middle class me.and the society I believe gets so much as rent from offices that they pay dividend of 5 to 7 lacs to the residents.really cool, i thought it was.
    anyway me being me I had to think like Srama here..how much difference it would make if each resident in that building donated their share of milk to the needy. anyway thats life... the rich get richer and the poor poorer..

5. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Well narrated and some fun facts you have bought to us Kamalji..

Liked reading it

6. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Reminded me of bbay.. That's why it's called swapna nagari..
    Rich get richer and poor gets poorer!!

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji..
    Jolly Makers towers are super luxury apts and their society members were really shrewd bussiness men and invested all the funds so well that this building is definitely one of the best to live in.. always clean.. neat.. very good housekeeping staff/ security etc..
    you know what I really liked mindi's suggestion of donating the milk to the poor in the slums situated behind the complex.. may be you can suggest to your relatives.. but ofcourse we already know the answer.. don't we???
    Kerman

8. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Its just crazy I feel nothing else. I just loved the jokes at the end :) but a very nice post from you.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r Sabita,

NRI is poor eh ! HAHA

Well i do beleive indians are not that poor as we think them to be, though NRI's are better off.The mumbai real estate yes terrible prices. Dont bother to give back to soceity, i have learnt to take care of yr own needs and comforts first. the ones who u see suffering , the poor hutement people the beggars, they are not worth thinking about.

And have no regrets in life, at a point of time we have to take a decision one way or another.

So no regrets , ever. iti s in blogs that i go back in time, otehrwise i have no time to think of the past. So i am content with whatever little i have. and making the most of it.HAHA

Reagrds

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tanoshi,

Well it is true, i knew it all along, but never got the chance to tell, my cousin who stays in the building told me a decade back and i was zapped.that time he was getting some 10,000 a month today it is a minimum of 50,000 a month so not bad eh !

Thanks.

kamal