1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Humble Tribute to my Loving Father on his 75th Birthday

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malathijagan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Editor's Note: Thank you Malathijagan for sharing your story with us. It has been chosen as the Best of Forums and we have decided to feature it as an article here for parent's Day. . Congratulations!
    ---------------

Dear Ilites,
    6th January being my dear father's 75th Birthday, I thought it would be best I speak out my heart to him on this milestone day. As any child, I too am proud of my dad and owe my existence to him. All that I have mentioned in my tribute to him may be common to all fathers but then......

Nothing would bring
    greater joy!
    Nothing greater happiness!
    Nor money, nor riches,
    in ones old age
    Than the acknowledgment from ones kids-
    "You have been wonderful parents!"

Here goes my dedication-

A Humble Tribute to my Loving Father on his 75<sup>th</sup> Birthday

I do not remember much of my interactions with my father as a child. He was like any other father of the yester years, not knowing in which class his kids studied, not taking an active part in child-rearing leaving it to his trusted better half and carrying on the duty of a bread winner most religiously. On the whole, he was a pillar of support for my mother and that is all I can remember of him. When one of the three of us ( my two younger brothers or myself) obtained below average marks in any subject, he would quip, “ Why so less marks?” and without expecting a reply, sign on the dotted line! This attitude of his would make us feel guilty rather than creating a fear syndrome in us! I can hardly remember an instance when he has yelled at us angrily or scolded us. Both my mother and father were of the soft nature. If my mom had to show that she was unhappy with us, she would break into a silence! And I can say, no punishment can be worse than this! You start yearning for her attention and love and do not even dare to repeat the mistakes again lest you lose her love. Being brought up under such circumstances I grew up to be a very sensitive person and could not take harsh words from any one. I would go into self sympathy if people tended to be rude to me! Of course, life’s ups and downs have now tutored me to be more receptive to criticisms and unjustified comments.
    Oh, Oh, I have digressed! Now, I can recall one incident vividly of my father showing some signs of frustration once. Both father and mother were very particular about ingraining faith in our religion and culture at a very young age. They sent us to Balavihar classes (conducted by Chinmaya Mission) for this purpose. The class was conducted every Friday between 6 and <st1:time hour="19" minute="0">7 PM</st1:time>. Here we were taught to recite small Slokas, the Bhagavad Geetha and singing bhajans too. There was a story telling session in which our Guruji would read out good moral stories from the Ramayanam, Mahabharatham and the Bhagavatham. The three of us were between 13 and 8 years of age. As any kids of that age we hated attending these classes! One Friday we skipped the class and went about playing with our friends. Some how my father sensed it! To show that he too could be a stern father, he took a long wooden rectangular bar that was leaning behind the main door (about 2 feet long 6 inches wide and 2 inch thick) and pretended to hit me on my calf muscle, in fact the bar lightly touched the back of my leg! (This bar was used as an extra safety to avoid intrusion in those days when the modern locks were a rarity). After this incident, I hardly skipped the Friday classes though with much reluctance. Now I can say with certainty that this could have been the cause of my induction into spirituality at a very young age. If I am able to withstand life’s challenges, it is because of this strong spiritual backing. I owe this to my dear father.
    More than my personal experiences with my father, his compassionate nature and his unselfish gestures to people known or unknown, has made him worthy of hero worship. If I have to show my love and gratitude to this great man, I pray to God that a fraction of his good nature gets bestowed in me. That would be the only way I can pay a rich tribute to him.
    Now I would like to share two more incidents in my life which goes on to show what a man he was! The first incident that happened way back in the 1964 during the India Pakistan war. This was narrated by him to me. I can go on enumerating a dozen or more such acts but I will stop with the two.
    My grandfather was a temple priest in <st1:city><st1:place>Jamshedpur</st1:place></st1:city> in <st1:place>Bihar</st1:place> about which quite a lot of Ilites would know from my mom’s posts. After completing his SSLC my father was called over by my grandpa to get him a job in this town which was also known as Tatanagar. He joined Telco on a temporary basis and then he was absorbed permanently. He worked there till he retired in 1994. A few years after his marriage with my mom he got a quarter in Telco area. They were row houses. The neighbours consisted of multi-lingual and multi-religious people coming from various states. One of the neighbours happened to be a muslim. He resided with his wife and four kids.
    Suddenly war broke out between <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region><st1:place>Pakistan</st1:place></st1:country-region> and this town being communally sensitive, the followers of Islam were being moved to places of safety. My father was worried about this man’s safe passage and advised him to wind up immediately. While the family was busy gathering whatever precious belongings they could carry along with them, my father went looking out for a taxi to transfer them safely to safe zone. The taxi driver had to be trustworthy and courageous enough to take up this daunting task. A sardarji driver accepted to take up this challenging mission. My dad brought him home after giving him instructions as to where to reach them. In the mean while the muslim family was ready, though shaken and nervous. There was little time left! The couple along with two children were made to sit in the seats, their heads ducked to avoid attacks from hooligan and rowdy elements. Two of the kids were hidden in the dickey of the taxi with very little opening so as to get oxygen supply. Some how the family reached the refugee area safely thanks to the skilled driver’s efforts. But the sad part was that the two kids in the dickey lost their speech either because of suffocation or extreme fear.
    Within seconds after the family had driven to safety a gang of blood thirsty hooligans broke open their house and not finding people to quench their thirst for blood looted and ransacked the house. Nothing was spared. Whatever they found useful, they carried away and whatever could not be carried or was found to be worthless, they destroyed.
    After the truce between <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region><st1:place>Pakistan</st1:place></st1:country-region> the family came back and lived for many years in the same house. Later my father was allotted a bigger flat and we moved out. At the time of retirement when my father was winding up to settle down in Chennai, this old neighbour, who was also my father’s office colleague came home to bid him farewell with tear-filled eyes and they seemed to speak volumes! What more precious things can a father or mother earn for their kids than such goodwill and love?
    I was a witness to another incident that remains fresh in my memory till date. A Kannada couple had moved to <st1:city><st1:place>Jamshedpur</st1:place></st1:city> newly. The Kannada gentleman had joined Telco and after he was allotted a house, his father came to visit him. Unfortunately the father had a sudden heart attack and passed away. This family, being new to the place, had not made any friends yet. Since my father was very popular in those days amongst the Telcoites as he was one of the office bearers and trustee in a temple and also a person who could be relied upon in times of distress, this gentleman contacted him through a messenger and requested for help when he was in the temple. Dad came home to give information and went rushing to their aid. He made arrangements for the body to be shifted to the mortuary till the deceased man’s daughter arrived and also took part in the funeral service. This incident happened in 1985. I was married and had come home for my first delivery. I remember the day of the funeral. It was raining heavily. Not many people were there to attend it. The poor couple were dependant on my father and he was not the one to let them down. Both my mom and myself were a bit reluctant to send him since the rains were heavy and it was evening time. After the funeral he returned home drenched and fell ill. But nothing could make him waver when help was sought. He wouldn’t think twice about the consequences and go about his good Samaritan work like a Karmayogi, not expecting anything in return.
    Quite a lot of his friends have let him down but he had to say this about them- ‘I forgive them and I do not nurse any ill-will against them.’ Very recently, one of his close friends and office colleague passed away. My father went to express his condolence to his wife and kids. At the time the wife said, “ My hubby wanted to convey this message to you. He said that his soul would not rest in peace unless it was communicated to you. He was responsible for your not getting promotions and all the troubles you went through in office. He begged you to pardon him for all his misdeeds.”
    My dad’s voice quivered when he told this to me and mom. But the most surprising part of the story was when he said that he knew about it all along and had forgiven him long ago. Of course, the story of this man and my father’s assistance to this family in their most difficult times knowing all along about his ill-will is a complete story by itself which I do not want to mention here since that would belittle my father’s good deeds and also be an injustice to the concerned family. On the whole these are just two samplers to speak proudly of my loving father on this very special day of his life- his 75<sup>th</sup> Birthday. I owe every bit of my being and making to this wonderful man. May God be ever blessing him from up above in the years to come and give him a healthy and happy life as long as he lives!
    Love,
    Malathi

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

MJ,

Let me join you in wishing your father, a very happy birthday. Having heard about him, through Ramya and Meena and also having read a lot through this forum, I really admire him for being a great human being.

PRaying to god to keep him in the pink of health....convey my namaskarams to him ..:bowdown

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malathi,

First class and superb tribute to a great father. You have made him more proud dear a befitting tribute to him. What else do they need in the evening of their life? I have seen your parents photo in your recent meetup with Sridhar.

Kindly convey my heartiest birthday wishes to your dad and your mom too so Sadaabhishekam is in the near future.

I pray to the almight to bless your parents with a good, healthy life filled with love and peace always. Kindly ask them to bless all our ilites too dear. Blessings from elders only can take us in our voyage of life.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Malathi

Wonderful post. What a lovely tribute you have given him by sharing with us the incidents. You really made me cry about the instances you told.

May God bless your father with Health, Wealth and Prosperity. Please convey my namaskarams to him of this auspicious day.

My parents also would not say anything when they are angry. Their silence only will teach us a lesson. You are very lucky to have such a lovely parents.

Here is my wish for your father.

Where there is age, there is wisdom
    where there is wisdom, there is respect
    where there is respect, there is love
    where there is love, there is a wish to see that person
    living happily everafter, sending the same your way

A VERY HAPPY 75TH BIRTHDAY

Please bless me I do namaskar to you:bowdown

love
    viji

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathi,

You being a poet, sketch poetry even when you write prose! What a beautiful tribute to a great father and great man!

Many Happy returns of the Day and Aneka Namaskarams to your father on his 75th birthday. Count us all in for the Sathabhishekam celebrations!

I have read a little about your father from IL. I have relatives in Jamshedpur who speak highly of him. And now after reading this tribute, I am awed by the simplicity, spirituality and sagacity of this human being.I loved his mock disciplining of the errant daughter (you, naughty girl, right??), I loved the manner in which your parents instilled spiritual leanings, acceptance and tolerance in all of you. The incident of transfering th Muslim family to safety, not minding his own, touched my heart. We all talk of patriotism, Hindu-Muslim unity, how many enforce it like him? And am humbled by the incident where he helped the bereaved family.

I think this is a great birthday gift for a greater man.

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathy

What a courage and lovable father you are having. I cant control my tears while reading your post. I really bow to your father. He is an excellent and nice person.

I wish him a very happy birthday. Thank you Malathy for showing that we are still having people who care for others, who forgive other's mistakes and who love their children.

My father, 82 yrs, resembles your father in all the cases and I have the experience of yours also.

Andal

7. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathi,

Whenever or wherver I read about a father,I will be flooded with my father's memories and I will be into tears.

I resemble him 90% in all the external and internal features.

He still treats me like his little kid,eventhough Iam married for 2.5 years and Iam 25 yrs old.

People say that parents are meant for sacrificing their life for their children..My parents are living example for that.I was able to realise and recognise their words about life and destiny when I entered into my married life.

My father is such a devotional person.I pray God to bless him with sound health and happiness.

He could have had a better person as his daughter.But I could not have got a better person other than him.

8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathi,

I pray for a wonderful healthy life to your Father.

Daughters always speak so fondly about their father. I can see that you worship your father and after reading your post ,I do too. Infact I feel that I am here to send wishes to my own father.

Loved your post Malathi. Loved the daughter in you and the divine presence of God in your Dad.

Malathi this is for Sir:

I wish you good health and happiness Dear Sir:bowdown
    My hearty wishes though from here,
    Shall surely reach you whether near or far
    Coz they are as genuine as we daughters are:)

You are just too good Malathi. And with this post you surely deserve a:kiss

Love,
    Devika

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathi
    wow that was a great tribute to your dad.
    Just reading about him makes us feel so proud you being a daughter will surely feel proud of him. I alway read your mom's post through which I can say after going through all those bad and difficult times you all have so much of great spirit in you.
    How are you feeling now??
    |Nice to see your post.

convey my pranams to him and Wish him Many Happy Returns of the Day.
    Let the Almighty be always be beside him and bless him with good health and happiness.

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathi...

Great Post... what a wonderful tribute to a loving father....
    Just admired the way you wrote and the way he is simply a great human..
    A very very happy birthday...

Attached Files: