1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A humble salute to a great martyr

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by cutemonster, Mar 23, 2013.

1. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Today is 23 march , this date won't seem important to many of us and many of you must be wondering what is special about this date.
    Well today is the martyrdom of shaheed e azam , Bhagat Singh.
    Since childhood we have grown up listening stories about great freedom fighter but somehow one person who left a deep impact on my mind is Bhagat Singh.
    I think it started when my father took us to seee National martyrs memorial. He was deeply influenced by bhagat singh's ideology so he wanted hia children to see the place where a young man with revolutionary ideas who shook the world lied in peace.It is here Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru were cremated on March 23, 1931 ,It is also the cremation place of Batukeshwar Dutt,who was also involved in bombing the Central Legislative Assembly with Bhagat Singh. His last wish was to be cremated at the place where Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev where cremated. The mother of Bhagat Singh, Vidyawati, was also cremated there in accordance with her last wish, and later she was awarded the title of Punjab Mata (Mother of Punjab).
    The place was not so well maintained and showed apathy of government but somehow it had a aura which deeply impacted me. I was 12 years old and wondered how can such a man exist.
    The museum is located in a place called hussainiwala in ferozepur district,which is near India Pakistan border. Actually after partition this place was given to Pakistan but finally it came back to India in 1961 and the original statues were taken by Pakistani army in the war of 1971. Every year a shaheedi Mela is held there and lot of people from not only Punjab but other areas also come .
    One more incident related to bhagat singh which comes to my mind is my maternal grand mother, once she went to see a movie, shaheed ( with manoj Kumar ) she was from the generation who had witnessed India's struggle for freedom , when she saw bhagat singh'a hanging on the screen she was so much hurt that she never watched a movie again. As per her, she had heard about him but seeing him die in front of her eyes was too emotional!!

Lot of people ask if such martyrs have any value today and how can you get inspiration from him?
    For my grandfather's generation he was a man who inspired them to fight for freedom, brought the ideas of equality. For my father he was a inspiration to do your job for your motherland in a honest way, secularism and for my generation he shows that age is not criteria if you want to bring a change and heroism, someone who is a real life hero. May be that's why he has been inspiration for so many Bollywood films, right from 1950's to the recent rang de basanti.
    Even my husband who is south Indian is so much inspired by him that when my son was born he wanted to name as as bhagat Singh with a south Indian surname!
    Anyway we did not name so as I feel there was and will be only one bhagat Singh!

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear cutemonster,
    That was a glowing tribute to shaheed bhagat singh about whom I have grown reading a lot. Thanks about the info about hussainiwala.

Salutes to those shaheeds who gave their present for our future.

PS: Congrats on the arrival your little one :). I seem to have missed that news.I wish and pray that he grows up to make you a proud parent.
    Bye

3. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the fb saraswathi!
    You are right , these martyrs were the people who gave their present for our future. Next time u come to north India, make a plan to visit that place ( on the way you can enjoy my humble hospitality too :) )

And many thanks for the wishes for the baby, details have been sent:)

4. Aros

Aros New IL'ite

Thank you very much for your translation of "kothe re aa" by Jagjit Singh..was searching for something to do for my brothers wedding and got my idea after reading your translation so had to say a thank you and not allowed to send private msgs so nxt best thing:thumbsup thnks n God bless..peace