1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

A holistic approach to good hair

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by an123, Feb 22, 2012.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies

Sometime back, I had taken on this project to improve my hair and make it grow long and thick to classic length. I wanted to check whether I was doing things rightly. While doing so , I collected a lot of information and a few myths were also busted. Namely what I gathered was for good hair quality and length the following are the most important:

Regular Good Hair Care

· Clean scalp
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]It is very important for a clean scalp so that the scalp is free from any dandruff , grime and dirt. It allows the hair follicles to breathe and the hair to grow strongly.
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I have been washing my hair from birth daily and I have no problems with hair fall or greying when many my age have already started greying. The key thing is to use a home made shampoo (shikakai-reetha-rice water , urud dal or hibiscus leaves) or if not possibly a herbal or organic shampoo from the shops which has no SLS and parabens or silicones. Thus washing hair daily will cause hair fall is just a myth. You can ask the women in Kerala how they have been washing hair daily for generations

·Prevent stripping of natural oils
    When you wash your hair you will strip it of its natural oils and that is why the concept of preconditioning your hair with oil is very important. If you precondition your hair with oil before shampooing, you don’t have to worry about it.

· Prevent hair breakages
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Here is where home pack recipes like henna are useful and should be done once a week
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Post condition hair with a few drops of hair oil once hair is dry
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Plait your hair when its starts getting long so that it does not get caught anywhere and breaks
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Stop all hair treatments like heat and chemical colouring. With the modern age fashion stylings, the possibility of hair breakages, split ends etc becomes a very common problem.

· Prevent greying
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Amla, curry leaves and fenugreek packs are useful for this.
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Also intake of these in your dishes daily will be more than sufficient to delay greying.

Diet
    You are what you eat. A lot of people have the misconception that greying and thin hair is genetics. But what causes this is not genetics but your family nutrition pattern for generations. Have you noticed non-vegetarians have better hair than vegetarians. This is because they are getting the right amount of protein and oils in their body.

· Protein rich diet
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Fish is a good source of protein and natural oils. That is why you noticed Malayalees and Bengalis have the one of the best hair.
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]If you are a vegetarian then it is important that you take omega oil capsules or flaxseed oil and dals varieties regularly to substitute for this deficiency
    · Body must have sufficient intake of oil
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Have you noticed how Chinese have very black, shiny and smooth hair, this is due to the lard content in their food. Malayalees and Bengalis use a lot of coconut and mustard oil which are also very good for hair. They also intake a lot of coconut and curry leaves in their dishes. So for others who don’t take this ensure that you atleast take a teaspoon of ghee daily.

· Natural food instead of fast and processed food
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]As usual processed and fast food carry all the wrong ingredients and just do further damage to our hair and rest of the body. The preservatives just cause a havoc to our body circulation system.

These are the reasons why people from villages and people of yesteryears have better hair quality and length than current women. It is not rocket science but just a change of lifestyle to achieve that good hair back. Anybody can do it with patience and determination

17 people like this.

2. Vani09

Vani09 Gold IL'ite

Wonderful post on hair care, thanks for sharing:)

3. AnjanaSawant

AnjanaSawant Gold IL'ite

Good one. Thanks for sharing!!!

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Very helpful post on haircare, thanks for sharing this us :)

5. alagarsamy

alagarsamy Bronze IL'ite

nice one ..useful info....

6. Bheemireddy

Bheemireddy Gold IL'ite

Nice post to keep long and healthy hair

7. decentreader

decentreader Silver IL'ite

hi every one ,,i had very strong and thick hair but now its all gone ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now they r very thin ,grey,and full of dandruf ,,i have only few hair on my head ,plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

8. ARIKA

ARIKA Silver IL'ite

let me try this hair tips to prevent greying
    amla,fenugreek and curry leaves
    thanks for sharing.

9. rajmyt

rajmyt Bronze IL'ite

excellent information with elaborate studies on hair...wow... keep it up

10. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Very nice info.thank you.
    Can you please give more details on the home made shampoo.
    Should we combine all ingredients or combi of few.
    If you can mention the ratio it will be good.