1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Health Conscious Buddy!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A Health Conscious Buddy

The other day, a friend of mine dropped in. It was more than a decade since I saw him last.

I extended him a hearty welcome and asked him to take a seat. He sat down and his eyes sized me up to my utter discomfort. ‘My god’ he said at last. The conversation started.

‘You must be at least 15 kgs overweight’ he told me after giving me a look from top to toe. ‘You must knock it off your system as quickly as possible’ he added.

‘Do you think so?’ I asked him.

‘Everyone who looks at you will think so’

‘You are also liberally endowed though not as liberally as I am’

‘I am just 2kg overweight’ he answered me. Liar!

‘Let us stop this mutual weighing game. With all that fat you are carrying, you are on your way to disaster’

‘What disaster?’

‘At your age, every kg of excess weight means one year knocked off your life span’

‘So for 15 kg overweight, should I multiply it by 15?’

‘Cut all that crap. Can’t you see I am serious?’

‘If I reduce my weight by 20 kgs, will I live beyond 100?’

‘Tell me, what are you eating everyday’

‘Food’, I said. I could see his blood vessels knotting themselves on his forehead. ‘Ok, ok, I eat rice with the usual paraphernalia.’

‘Three times a day?’

‘It would be four times on Sundays and holidays declared by the government’

‘At your age, you must take life a little more seriously. You must cut down rice and eat millets’

“But I don’t like their colour’ I like pure while things like polished rice’

‘Polished rice is great disaster. When it concerns your life, don’t be too colour consciouses’

‘I am not. When I was young, I wore shirts of all hue. I used to be a trendsetter. I was the first one to introduce bleeding Madras cloths in the college’

“We are talking about food’, he reminded me. ‘Do you eat papaya?’ he asked me.

‘You mean those shapeless fruits?’

‘They may be shapeless but they are good for your shape and health too’

‘How many glasses of water you drink daily?’ he went on with his probing into my dietary habits.

‘I don’t keep a count. Three glasses a day perhaps’

‘At three glasses a day, you would have died of dehydration long back in Chennai heat’ he said and laughed at my stupidity. ‘Plenty of water will help you to lose weight by keeping your system clean’

‘You know there is serious water shortage in this area. We have been advised to take bath once in two days and drink not more than four glasses of water daily’

‘I know there is that problem’ he admitted condescendingly.

‘I think we should discuss all these health issues only after the water situation eases here’, I said in an effort to divert his mind from my fat torso.

‘Do something about your size’ he advised me and rose up to leave. He loosened a button in his shirt as he rose and said that it was stitched long back. ‘Shirts tend to shrink over a period of time, you know’ he added smilingly and took leave of me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Adharv, kkrish, iyerviji and 8 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

If everyone eats according to your friend's suggestion, what would all the fitness centers that have roaring business nowadays do to let people use their facilities with ultra-modern exercise machines? What would Yoga teachers do for living? The question about physical appearance, size, fitness, etc. are raised more often when I visit India. Perhaps, some in India think that we eat a lot of junk food back in the US whereas we eat a lot of healthy food to avoid health issues and exercise a lot.

I met a Gastroenterologist in a Bhajan session a few weeks back. He is 80+ but was suffering from Dementia. However, when his turn came, he sang a bhajan flawlessly without worrying about skipping any line. He was casually talking about his hospitalization 3 days back for his heart condition. By talking to him, I realize that how healthy a person is dependent upon how healthy one feels. Finally, out of curiosity I asked him, "What is the motivation for you to be so healthy and happy?" and he replied, "I get my motivation from my father-in-law who is 107 years old, still not using walking stick and remains healthy. One precaution we take is for him not to fall as falling would result in quick deterioration of health".

Viswa

kkrish and Cheeniya like this.
  3. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

gud one !
    i once had a colleague who trimmed down enormously for her wedding. doing yoga & eating loki, turai, tinde etc.
    she got into the habit of stopping others eating what she thot was unhealthy ..
    we had lunch at work, all of us 8-9 people & she wud unashamedly say : you are eating three rotis?? dont eat that bhatura, dont hav that salad, it is not hygienic, dont have that sabzi etc.& when we retorted that we liked the sabzi or an occasional fried stuff, she wud act so horrified, we actually started avoiding going to lunch with her.
    cu to nine years later , post two kids & the grand punjabi life style, she is atleast two times more than her pre wedding weight :) & now we go out on lunch to gorge on all fried stuff...an absolute delight...the food she wudnt touch earlier, we now enjoy over long gossips, tearing apart our MILs & bosses & what not..so therapeutic. :grinning:
    after all, the best thing abt life is that every few hours, we have to stop whatever it is we are doing & devote ourselves to eating. !!! :laughing:

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sigh! CS. Tell me, is this friend of yours for real? What are friends for, I ask. Do they come to conduct a Spanish inquisition and to give others free advice? At such times, reach into your pocket and say you don't have any money. Tell them you don't take anything for free and will accept it only when you have money in your pocket to pay for the advice!!!

5. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Had a hearty laugh reading your snippet especially shapeless fruit :) Nice one

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

From what you describe, obviously he is a buddy who is conscious of others' health more :) It is good to have such reminders - both for him and the people he speaks with! You know Bach says "We teach best what we need most to learn". Perhaps he is reminding himself by reminding others! This is something I find incredible in India. Every year, one cousin or the other, one aunt or another without fail will mention my weight with a "what happened, you lost weight?" or "you know you have put on weight, you should take care of yourself!". I, on the other hand seem oblivious to not only my weight but that of other's too! Why is this so important? I don't get it! I tend to focus on my activity level than weight loss or gain, but then that's me!

I cannot believe you used this at all. Kuch bhi.......!!
    We are also mostly proper rasam, rice, curry and curd rice people. Almost all my friends experiment. Other than choosing brown rice, I stay put with what's familiar and easier. Thankfully I am not credited for cooking variety of dishes and almost all my non Indian friends think I am an awesome cook - my food is mostly onion, garlic and ginger free and spice level is low.....so!

I will tell you what, I am glad this buddy stopped by. First it was those women who gave us a snippet on snakes and now this one. So all I will say is "May you have an abundance of visitors!" Eat away all you want sir and enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    kkrish likes this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

People will always have something to say! Some do it seldom with a good intention though.Sharing a small incident.A and B were gossiping that C looks much younger than her real age and its no good as her hubby looks old enough to be her father.They went on to give free advice that she must try ways to look older such as wear Saree in a different style,put on some fat,change hair style and blah blah.C was speechless:eek: and left the place for sanity.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I remember watching this scene from Fidaa and it was hilarious. :)

satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao: Yes, Veena! It is good to get some useful dialogues to use when some people decide to impose their free advice on us!!!

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Hilarious but very true also. If we meet someone after a long time first comment is on weight... either put on or lost weight. Now a days second one is a compliment. With so many nutritionists.... Youtube has many, health has become a big industry! Not actually health but new theories!!!! My father and forefathers ate white rice and all which are forbidden now! But what is life if all the tasteless things are eaten on a daily basis! Depression creeps in. In front of rice shops now a days with all the list of whole grains they have!!!
    I like Bach's quote in Sabita's feed back. Very true.
    Syamala

Srama, kkrish, Cheeniya and 2 others like this.