1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Great Dining Experience!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    My dear Satchi
    Curd rice transcends age. I am not surprised at the tantrum thrown by your nephew demanding his curd rice. Even at this age I have heated argument with my wife when she refuses my curd rice on some silly pretext like I have a bad cold. These old timers (I mean my wife, not me!) seem to think that curd is a sworn enemy of cold and fever. 'I have never heard such dashed nonsense in my life' is what I tell her when my curd rice is denied to me on some flimsy excuse. People, I tell you!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    My dear kk
    What snippets are if they don't reflect your life? Personally I am of the view that every snippet should be a true contemplation of your life. I see no point in writing something of which I have no personal experience.
    When Tiramisu is not available in any place I dine, I cry out 'Tiramisu, I misu'
    There is a well-known hotel in Coimbatore that serves dosas in strange ways. The family dosa will occupy the entire table when the family that sits around starts nibbling at the spot of dosa that is nearest and within reach to them. If you order for a mouth watering ghee roast, they bring it in the shape of a cone the top of which reaches your mouth direct.
    A friend of mine from up north once told me that South Indians were least innovative in food habits due to our obsession with curd rice. 'You are not very innovative with food because you always want to end it with curd rice', he pointed out. Maybe there is something in what he says.
    Sri

SunPa likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Literally a glass bottle fell from the top shelf on to my counter top and made such a shattering noise that I still hear it, Toby came in to check, kids came down to see what was happening! I don't know about age sir, but how can you have that ring tone when there are like a million others. So, do listen to aunty :). my unsolicited input!

That seems like a nice day - shopping and dinner, a dream for many girls! Glad you enjoyed it. And you know what even as I read about your like for sizzlers, I was thinking how I would enjoy that dinner too. There is a Chinese restaurant here which offers sizzling tofu - the only dish I order despite the drama it creates because trying to Indianise the food, they add red chilli to the sizzler! Then take me to a Mexican place, it is again vegetables that come sizzling in a pan - I just love it! Not sure what it is, the sound, the hot aroma or steam that entices me. I get ready soon with a napkin on my lap and focus on my food and tell you what I am not much of a foodie either or a connoisseur of fine dining. See while I knew tiramisu and enjoy it, I had no idea what a falooda was - perhaps something to try in my next India trip!

While I agreed with aunty about your ring tone, I have to confess - I can make do with out rasam rice or curd rice for a couple of days. It is after that the craving sets in, especially after traveling :) Your great dining experience turned in to a fine snippet for us! Should I say for this, "May you blessed with many more such fine dining experiences?"

4. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    I am surprised that you do not make any mention of sizzlers in the joys of your life that you share with us from time to time.
    Unlike ice cream, kulfi is cut into tiny slices before serving. You just push one slice into the mouth and go into ecstatic reverie until the bearer brings you back to life with a fat bill.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    My dear Syamala
    Undoubtedly! She is the classic 'Hollywood or bust!' type.
    It is until it touches three digits. My maternal uncle who is 100 loves to have a jolly chat with people. But he gets irritated when people touch his feet and seek his blessings. He can tolerate that but not when they start inquiring about his health. 'I am as good as a 100 year old should be but how will you know it? You still have a long way to go!'
    I can understand the anguish in his voice.
    You have not met any of my friends. They'll shock you into disbelief!
    upload_2019-2-11_16-21-35.jpeg
    A picture is equal to thousand words in prose!
    sri

6. Cheeniya

@Adharv
    Dear Adharv
    Why only one hifi? I'll give a hundred for sizzlers but the problem is that a hundred hifi will lead people to think that we are some Aborigines from mid-Australia trying to chat!
    Thank you! May your tribe increase!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    My dear Mistt
    I am happy you did. When people enjoy and laugh with me, I feel blessed. I am happy that I don't have to say anything to make people laugh. The very sight of me makes them laugh! My friends call me a mobile Laughing Buddha!
    I met an old colleague of mine at a Super Market. 'What are you doing this evening?' I asked him intending to invite him to the club. 'I'll be at the Kapali temple singing bajans. Why don't you join me?' he replied. I made a quick exit from the shop.
    When I was working in Bangalore in late '60s, there used to be a hotel in MG Road that made 100 varieties of bujjis. They even had snake gourd bujji!
    Sri

Mistt likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@shravs3
    My dear shravs
    It is my favourite too. I like sizzling brownie with ice cream.
    The best way to resist temptation is to yield to it! Not mine. Oscar Wilde said it! Go ahead! The culinary planet welcomes you!
    Sri

shravs3 likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I disagree with your friend sir.
    He just has not had our many varieties of S.Indian food.
    All restaurants serve the same menu with the same taste. He should travel and go to homes to get authentic meals that range from simple to exotic.

Some of my coworkers call themselves "meat-and-potato" folks. They say though they are open to having a variety of foods - Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, etc, they feel complete only after meat-and potato dish.
    For some from the west it is meat-and-potato for some of us from Chennai(Tamilnadu) it is Thayir saadam.

10. Cheeniya

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    Listen to this. Isn't it heavenly? The ace Music Director of South Ilayaraja would often say that there is no sound jarring to the ears. 'All sounds have music in them but we may not have ear for them' he once said in a TV interview. So don't fret and fume! Fall in line with me!
    It's the drama that adds value to sizzlers than they can claim for their taste. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to belittle their taste but am only highlighting the drama of sizzlers!
    There are a million things in the world to be a connoisseur of and food is numero uno
    Loka binna ruchi!

That's the tolerance limit. I too can be without it, though not for two days, at least a day and a half.
    What a mouth watering wish! A big thank you for it!
    sri