1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Good Read - 10 superb ways to impress your mum-in-law - coutesy TOI

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by swt.charu, Jan 12, 2012.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

3 people like this.

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Wish dealing with MIL is really this easy!

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I also wish there were a list of dos and donts for mils to endear themselves to their dils.

3 people like this.
  4. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

:hiya How many men has to follow tips to impress mother in law, father in law or brother in law????? shakehead Its everything so easy for men, isn't it? :yes:He gets all the royal treatment free, while we women, even after giving best and following tips, how many of us are succeeded to really impress them? :confused2: And if you have a sister in law, then there is a seperate list of tips to impress her too, isn't it? :bang And are all this tips to be followed one/two times? Its a permanent process, :exactly: and even if once you failed, all that you done before is forgotten within a minutes. :drowning How can a daughter in law can makes a mistake? :oops: Every mother in law wants a superwomen in the form of daughter in law. :roll:

15 people like this.
  5. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

I liked the comments than the article.LOL

2 people like this.
  6. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't think any of those tips would have worked for me.
    She was quite opposite to all those points.
    Anyways... I need not have to impress anybody now :)

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And don't expect anything in return and still the criticism would continue :-(

8. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Even enjoyed the comments than the article... lol

9. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Useful tips for ladies who want to impress their MILs. They might succeed if the MIL happens to be a normal woman. If she happens to be one of my MIL's kind, nothing is going to work.
    For example from the article:
    Do your homework: Ask your husband for the issues that she may be touchy about. You may not know about family feuds and other such issues, so don't give your opinion before you know all the details.Till date I am not clear about what the problems were between MIL and her SIL or between her DDs and their SILs. I only know they don't get along and I was always told the fault lied with the other party always and that is what DH believed. Me and DH both were kept in dark. I never touched upon these things or gave my opinion. Did I impress my MIL? No.

Bring gifts
    The list of my MIL's demand is so long that it's difficult to think of a gift that's not already on her list of demands.

Dress wellI dressed as well as I could. Was she impressed? Hell no.
    If I was wearing all the jewellery from head to toe, she still managed to find what was missing. She never liked my hairstyle. She only wanted me to wear the ugly sarees that she gifted me.(Ladies you have to see those sarees to believe how ugly they are. Even her DDs won't wear them)

Don't compete with herAccept the fact that a mother is bound to be possessive about her son. So, don't try and tell her how to cook for him. Even if your husband prefers your cooking to hers, don't point it out to her.The point is when MIL cooks for her son, it's not just for the son, it's for you as well. How can you ignore that she puts 2 cups of oils in one cup of vegies. Anyways, when I absolutely refused to compete with her. She announced that she doesn't want to cook at all and now I have to do all the cooking and she just throw orders.Impressed? ha ha

Be politeFor how long? She continues to needle me, make comments, tests my patience. The best way I can be polite is to stay quiet and aloof. She has problem with that too.

Call her often
    I think this should work for DILs who don't live with their MILs and have the surety of the same arrangement in the future. When we were living away, whenever we called, she complained, threatened and blackmailed that we must live with them. The calls were severely torturous and stressful. Now she has moved in with us.

And so on. In the end I gave up. No, I cannot impress my MIL. The only way I could impress her was by not being her DIL.

5 people like this.
  10. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

You know, if a MIL doesn't like the DIL, then what ever the DIL does will be a fault.So what's the use in impressing her life long?If not life long at least for 10 to 15 years? Further, there is least possibility to succeed.

The best thing could be be polite, nod your head and do what you actually wish to do.No konjals and no fights.

4 people like this.