1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A friendly reminder!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Sep 22, 2009.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Our house is not only a comfortable and cozy place for hubby and me, but for a few other members too! Just before the dawn breaks we normally tend to hear lots of birds chirping, a few cars driving past etc etc. For us especially, the wake up call is in the form of a thud, on our roof top and then you hear several running steps on the roof. I wonder what they are. Three cats and several tiny sparrow like looking birds - these are our daily visitors. They make such a racket on the roof top that it makes us wonder what they are actually doing up there.

The sparrows – A cluster of them visit our backyard every morning. They are found always pecking on some grains or dirt from the lawn that looks like a bald man’s head. Honestly that is how it looks at the moment. Nothing in the middle but green grass all around the bald patch! These sparrows have an everyday routine, which is very strange. The back of our house has a glass sliding door that is tinted. I suppose these birds see their own reflection on it and wonder some other bird is there and is trying to play with it. There is always a fight initially as to who gets to go first. They fly straight into the glass pane, hit the glass door BANG! And then they flutter the wings and climb up the glass door. This is the routine and every time they try to better the height they climbed previously. In the process their beak is constantly hitting on the glass. So far, no chipping on the glass have been noticed and possibly the exercise does not hurt them either. I don’t know if this is some kinda learning experience for them, but it is fun to watch them. About half an hour of entertainment and then they are off.

Next is the turn of the cats - a white, black and a brown cat. They stroll around the house and backyard as though they own the place. The brown belongs to the neighbour but he is half the time in our backyard. The other two are very mean looking and am not sure whom they belong to. I don’t see any tags around their necks either. The white and black cats guard the house most of the time. They are pretty huge and sit right in front of the entrance to the house and give you a glare all the time. Nothing scares them. When we drive into our garage, earlier they used to run away, but now they don’t. They have learnt to identify our car and us. We don’t feed them but they both still prefer being at our place. Some mystical relation from previous birth maybe!

This morning, as I was sitting with my hot cup of chukku kaapi, I saw this white cat walking into the back yard. He was strolling araam se and bathing in the morning sun. Possibly just woke up from its sleep I think. He sits near a plant for a bit, looks around, looks at the sun, again looks around in all directions and then gives this absolutely lovely stretch. It felt soooo good and tempting. I nearly attempted to do so myself sitting on the sofa. I was so jealous at that point for not being able to stretch like the cat. I walked into the backyard with my cuppa and he glared at me.

He said, “What are you looking at now? Did you see me stretch? I know you liked it. This is called Suryanamaskar!, a yoga posture. I have been learning yoga for a while now and that is why I have been so fit. What happened to you? I don’t see you practicing much these days. What a waste of money eh? You are either drinking chukku kaapi :coffee or Computer Typing through out the day and nothing else. It ain't gonna benefit you by sitting and doing nothing. Stop staring at me and get back into your routine. Right now! “

I said, “But I have not been well you know.”

“Oh stop it and don’t be a baby. Just get out there and do some work out. It will make you feel fresh and energetic. Your illness will vanish in no time. I don’t want to be seeing you sitting with a cup of chukku kaapi again tomorrow morning. You get that?”

That was a pretty strong message I got from the cat. It is time for me to get back, I said to myself.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear K2S, ah! I do agree with you, that was pretty strong from a cat!!;) So you got back to your workout or still to start ?J It’s good that you get time to observe the nature around you, I used to do this during holidays. I carry my coffee cup to the front patio and sips it observing the beautiful nature around me.
    Even I sometimes get envious seeing the stretching of Cats/animals… how well they stretch!! Your blog brought to me the nostalgic memories of my morning time with nature.

3. psd1955

psd1955 Senior IL'ite

K2s, i could actually visualise the scenes so very clearly. Nature has many lessons only if we are willing to just sit quietly and observe. But then for many of us where is the time to 'stand and stare'. It is essential we take time off periodically and commune with nature. This kind of rejuvenation has no parallel perhaps!!

4. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Hi K2s
    Your blog brought me back to my sweet home where I used to sit on the kitchen door step observing the cats and birds,and also the greenery on the backside of our house.Tiny squirells who make the cats crazy running after them and then climb a tree and make a funny sound ( ya I could hear it now also) we people used to say he is making fun of the cat.whwnever I sit there I couldn't remember how much time I had spent there.
    Thanks a lot K2s,I now feel the refreshment after sitting there.

5. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi K2s,

True we come up with silly excuses, to put off things........, godd atleast you took note of the message from the cat................most of us tend to ignore such messages

6. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Hey,

that was really cool to get a strong feedback from a cat. very nice write up.

7. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Good post K2share.

we too had lot of sparrows in our house and for them we had fixed clay pots on the wall. they would enter our kitchen for free meals there was a big mirror in the front room and they would set to hit the mirror with the beak.this would continue till evening as they didnt have to go out to search food. Now only the pots remain ,sparrows have disappeared. They have become a rare sight in my home town now. Urbanisation...?

8. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

K2S,

nature at its best in the morning alle. i miss that here in dubai. A post written in a very casual manner, light hearted and an easy read but the cat did a good job-a strong wake up call for you, now i guess-On ur mark-get set and way to go K2S:)

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear AMIHERE, PSD, MEENU, RAECHEL, BINDHU, MANCHITRA and SHEEBA-------------- Firstly thank you so much for stopping by. Observing things around you in the morning is really a wonderful experience. It is like a meditation of a kind. I have no choice but to get back into my routine slowly. Firstly since you all have started asking me indirectly if I took notice of the message or not. Secondly, I don't want to face the cat again, only to glare at me and my cuppa and get burnt into bhasm for ignoring his advice !! :hide:

10. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Hi Kns,

Hm.. I thought you would have followed the Cat's advice...very bad..just kidding. I just peeped in to say that it was an interesting read.

Keep sharing your thoughts with us.

Anabika