1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Drink Too Much

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Aug 16, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

I read books by Somerset Maugham many years ago. In our last Book Club meeting a member spoke about a short story by this author. I felt like reading one of his books again. I got Liza of Lambeth. This book was published in 1897 and is the author’s first work. The story is set in London and is about people of the lower income group. Drinking a little too much alcohol, physical and mental violence are a part of their lives. Maugham has made those scenes come alive. The problem of drinking too much alcohol is the same everywhere and at all levels of society. It is a life difficult to imagine.

I am witnessing one such situation in my locality. This person works in many houses from morning to evening to make a living. She has two children. Her husband is an alcoholic. Last year his friends helped him find a regular job, and he abstained from drink. But now it is back to square one. Once a person gets addicted to a substance or habit, it becomes very difficult for them to come out of that trap. His wife has resigned herself to the situation. It is sad.

In a parallel situation elsewhere, I walk with another person to the bus stop many days in the week. Sometimes she tells me about her life. She came to our town after her marriage. To her horror her husband was an alcoholic. The burden of bringing up her family fell on her shoulders, with very little support from him. In spite of many problems, her basic values and principles have always sustained her. Once she asked me, “We all have so many problems in life and there is always shortage of money. Then why do our men folk think that they have to drown their problems in alcohol? Do we have that luxury? Do we do what they do? Do we drink from morning to evening? Do we not face life by making ourselves strong, mentally and physically? What would happen to our family if we followed the footsteps of our men folk? Do they believe that it is the male prerogative to destroy not only their lives but the lives of everyone around them by spending all that they earn on alcohol? We would not be facing this poverty if all that money was not spent only on drink.” There are no answers to these questions.

Her questions brought to mind the unfortunate situations in some parts of our country. Drought conditions, poverty and the burden of debt have driven many farmers to commit suicide. But I have never read about their families committing suicide. Why is it that wives of these desperate farmers do not kill themselves? Once their husbands escape this world, these destitute women are left to fend for themselves and their families.
    What holds them back?

16th August 2017 (8).jpg

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Its very tragic to think of such lives, LakshmiKMBhat .
    Actually , Men are more weak , emotionally and mentally , though women are called weaker sex. Also , men do not hesitate to take impulsive steps like sanyas and suicide as they focus only on their own problem and needs . Women are stronger , made of steel and will bite the bullet and carry on because , inmost cases, the children are dependent on them . Also, women have deeper and stronger faith in their prayers .

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    Very true.
    I think women, though physically weak they are strong mentally. They have patience to deal with problems.
    My maid tells....in her village if some farmer sows cotton and gets profit then every other farmer does the same thing next year making huge loans for it and glut comes in the market.....not able to pay back loans commit suicides or go for drinking (they do the second one even before). Women take time to decide. Of course they may buy a saree on impulse, it is a little thing but not major decisions.
    Syamala

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  4. sindhugowtam

sindhugowtam Gold IL'ite

I can relate this Story, LakshmiKMBhat
    Because I m one of the Child Where my mother suffered a lot to take full responsibility of Three children where her Husband is an Alcoholic
    His entire life is dedicated to Alcohol and died with his Alcohol
    But My Mother never give up on us. She Struggled a lot to raise us without any difficulty in our lives.
    Yes, Men are Weak, emotionally & Mentally. In Some times they only think of themselves, so to get rid of that weakness they will drench into alcohol & Drugs, Whatever they want without any regrets
    But, Women cant do those things Because, She thinks of their children & Family than herself.... Why So?
    Women Only Knows the Pain of Giving Birth to the Child, who kept her child safely in her womb for 9 Months.
    Then How can she holds them Back and leave them without any regrets like Men do..,

Love U Maa
    Thank U fr Giving This Life

Thank u

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,

Women though physicaly weak they are mentally stronger than men. They will sacrifice their life for the good of the family. While the farmers are committing suicide their wives the brave hearts will not commit suicide. They will take care of their children.
    Even wives of men who are addicted to alcohol might throw out their husband, but will not forsake the children.
    My daughter's maid's husband is an alcoholic and she sent him to a deaddiction centre and now he got rid of this habit and working as a driver.
    PS

Sunburst likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

' A drink too much' is what the heading says. Do I guess that if not too much, moderate drink is okay?
    Alcoholism is a disease, let us face it. The problem is where to draw the line. The post is basically talking about poor families who are spending the hard earned money on alcohol. It excludes people who throng the up market bars, because they can afford it. Social drinking is fashion in galore where even women are partners.
    There may be any number of reasons why men take to bottle. I think men meet the outside word and get damaged if not careful or not successful. Back home they get blamed for not providing enough. They are crushed between two slabs. While they do not expect any sympathy from the outside world, they expect it as a matter of right at home. If they can afford it, there is not much a problem, though some irking. If they can't afford it, there is rift.
    The solution lies in understanding between the the spouses.

7. LakshmiKMBhat

Yes dear madam :) it is so good when people come out of their addiction. Yes, women are mentally stronger. Thank you, Regards, Lakshmi

8. LakshmiKMBhat

You are really lucky to have such a mother. Thank you. Regards, Lakshmi

9. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Shyamala, what you have said about buying a sari is so true :) Regards, Lakshmi

10. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Susila, very true.

MaruthiRao likes this.