1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A diabetic friend - two different idlis..

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Shanvy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

View attachment 161217
    View attachment 161218

A friend visited me. she is diabetic, and has to lose weight, has been asked to avoid rice. A foodie by nature, it is difficult, and had come to ask for ideas to make her diet interesting..now before you start thinking that i cook and make my diet interesting, let me tell you i need put lot of efforts when it comes to ME and i am slowly learning that I am equally important.

Well lets put the I aside..i am used to cooking food without rice for quite a few years, thanks to my mil who had renal failure and diabetes..

We had a hands on experience of trying out a few varieties since i had the batter ready..I am sure it will help many friends out here. here i go..

The first one : broken wheat idli
    View attachment 161216
    1 cup broken wheat..
    1/4 cup urad dal
    1tsp methi seeds.

wash the broken wheat and soak it for 2 hours.
    wash the urad and methi and soak it for 3 hours.

grind the urad and methi nicely as for idli. if the broken wheat is not too big, just mix the wheat mixture to the urad dal mixture..allow it to ferment. if grinding in the morning, you can make idlis in the evening. pour into moulds, and steam for 8 to 10 minutes..

Coming to next one..cornmeal. Corn is high in nutrients, which are extremely beneficial for you. Rich in Vitamin B1, which is used in the metabolism of carbohydrates, Vitamin B5, which helps with physiological functions, folate, that helps generating new cells and Vitamin C, helps in immunity buiding..(makes you say wow, and grab that corn on cob right:thumbsup)

1.Cornmeal idli
    Replace the broken wheat with cornmeal in the above recipe.
    View attachment 161219

2.Cornmeal instant idli similar to rava idli.:thumbsup

Cornmeal (rava consistency) – 1 cup
    Curd – ½ cup
    Salt to taste.
    Eno -1/2tsp
    Coriander – chopped – 2 tsp.
    Ingredients To temper
    Mustard seeds -1tsp
    Urad dhal – ¼ tsp
    Chana dal -1/2 tsp.
    Curry leaves-4 leaves pinched into pieces.
    Finely cut green chillies - 2
    Oil – 2 tsp.

In a pan, heat the oil, add the mustart, when it starts to splutter, add the urad and chana dal and allow it turn golden, then add the curry leaves., then the chilies now add the cornmeal..allow it to slowly roast..ensure it does not burn or turn brown..
    Cool the mixture.

Now in a bowl, pour the curd, add the cooled mix, salt and coriander and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.. then mix it again, add the eno and mix , once it is incorporated, check the consistency for pouring..if it is too thick add a little water..and spoon it into the moulds.

steam for 10 minutes (or more depending on the quality of the cornmeal).. serve with spicy chutney of your choice..

TIps.. 1. I usually soak a 1/2 cup of urad dal extra on the day i soak for the regular idlis..and take out the 1/2 cup urad batter and mix and match with any of the ravas, or flours instead of rice..

2.the wheat i have used, is not samba rava. this is the regular wheat, that has been milled to the rava consistency..you get broken wheat in the market..and it is a little bigger in size.you can run the same in the grinder along with urad batter, in last stage.

3. the cornmeal we get in the local market (SVS brand) is too big and takes a longer time to cook. so i mill my cornmeal. if not possible, run the cornmeal in the mixie..for a a less coarser texture for the instant idlis..

4. if you do not have Eno substitute with baking soda or avoid the whole thing..but the softness will be lesser..

Note : forgot to take the picture of the instant idli in excitement..will attach it the next time.:hide:

2. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,

This is a great idea to make idlis without rice.Thank you for sharing. please keep it up....

Bhavna

3. Ajish

Ajish New IL'ite

wow...that is really healthy

4. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

nice and useful recipe. my DH is a diabetic patient and i think i can try the broken wheat idli for him.

andal

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Wow...Mouth watering..two new dishes...also a good alternative for idly for diabetics. Thanks for sharing.

6. sidvidu

sidvidu Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy for posting this recipe, I will surely try them and let you know.
    Vidya.

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Lovely recipes Shanvy will try these and get back to you

8. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Shanvyyyyyyyyyyyyy, thanks a ton for this. I tried this today ( whole wheat one). I ended up with a thin batter so instead of idli I made dosas and they tasted awesome. P and I both loved it. This is so healthy, rice is eliminated altogether. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Super Super Super like.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Thanks bhavna.. yes i had a mil who had diabetes and kidney failure..she was off rice..so always had to :bonk:bonk to look at trying new ways of incorporation.. just sharing the same here...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes ajish definitely healthy but still calories and you need to keep control on the numbers...they taste yum with sambhar or idli powder or anything else like the normal ones..