1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Desi Mom!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Meena
    Long time no see! A hearty welcome back to you! I hope this time you'll be our guest at least for a week!
    And I must say you remind us all of the old adage, 'Hear the bells first before you sight the elephant'! When I saw that you had come back with a new thread, I started laughing already knowing for sure it would be downright funny! And how right I was! You have it in you, girlie. It just runs in your blood. Even if a medico puts his steth on you, he would start laughing hearing all the funny noises inside you. You are born to make others happy!

Reading this post of yours, I remembered an old story that was sent to me titled 'What it means to have a South Indian as a wife!'
    This is how it goes:

Her mother looks down upon you because you didn't study in IIT
    or Anna University.

Her father starts or ends every conversation with " ... I say..."

She shudders if you use four letter words.

She has long hair, neatly oiled and braided (The Dubai based Oil Well Company will negotiate with her on a 25 year contract to extract >coconut oil from her hair.)

She uses the word 'Super' as her only superlative.

Her name is another name for a Goddess or a flower.

Her first name is longer than your first name, middle name and surname combined (unless you are from Andhra)

When she mixes milk and rice you are never sure whether it is for the Dog or for you.

For weddings, she sports a mini jasmine garden on her head and wears silk saris in the Madras heat without looking too uncomfortable while you are melting in your singlet.

She thinks Rajnikanth is the sexiest man alive.

Her favourite cricketer is Krishnamachari Srikkanth.

Her favourite food is dosa though she has tried North Indian snacks like Chats (pronounced like the slang for ‘conversation’)

She bursts into songs with her cousins in every movie.

She bores you by telling you which raaga each song you hear is based on.

You have to buy her jewellery every now and then, though she has already got plenty of it.

Her thali (Mangal Sutra) weighs more than the championship belts worn by WWF wrestlers.

She is more educated than you.

Her father thinks she is much smarter than you...

Sri

7 people like this.
  2. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Meena,where were you all these days dear..
    As usual you come up with nice topic with nice humour...so you are a very good desi-mom hauh..!expecting more snippets from you meena..

3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Very hilarious and very true... Proud to be desi.. Cheers!!!

4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Aruna,

What a pleasure it is to see you not once but twice in this thread. You are as sweet as ever and from the looks of your efforts here to revive all unanswered threads in this forum, I can see that you still remain unbeaten as the champion encourager (is there such a word?? if not, I think there should be) of all Snippeteers. I am glad you agree with me that we, Desi moms, are a formidable force to reckon with. Our children will only be too happy to attest to that fact. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. raj77

raj77 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Meena,

Yes,You are very correct. We Desi mom's spent most of our time to think about our kids grades and giving lectures to them. :)

6. meenasankaran

Oh Sabitha, thank you for such a warm welcome. To tell you the truth, I was feeling so guilty about taking such a long break from IL that I was hesitant to bring my thread to Snippets yesterday. Now I am glad that I did because it really feels like coming home.

Yes, as your children grow up, you will have no choice but to join hands with us 'Desi Moms'. You won't even have to do anything spectacular to join this elite group. Just be yourself and you will get here. :)

Just as I forgot to mention our 'kids making fun of our accent' part, looks like I left many other important characteristics too. Wondering how I know? My Desi friends have been calling me since yesterday to update the list. At the risk of repeating myself, go Desis! :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  7. meenasankaran

No feedback is as precious as knowing that you got a laugh out of my thread. Laugh away Hemalatha and thanks for stopping by.

8. meenasankaran

While I am thrilled to pieces that you got a laugh out a Desi mom's misery, let me assure you that her life is not a stand-up comedy. Far from it actually. Her good intentions are almost always unappreciated.

For example, when she explains patiently to her daughter that it is not a punishable offense in their state to comb one's hair and how birds may take uncombed, knotted hair as an invitation to come set up nests in there, is it really her fault that there is company hanging around the house? Do you seriously think that she draws breath every day just to see her kids humiliated? Poor, poor Desi mom!

9. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Classic Meena!! Great to see you here, welcome back, missed you:kiss

Thanks for the wonderful post, made my day!

The coconut analogy by another poster is excellent & so true.

1 person likes this.
  10. meenasankaran

Dear Satchi,

The relationship between a Desi mom and a Desi (teenage) child is very unique. We cook, they eat heartily. They want to go places, we drive. We ask questions, they go deaf. They litter, we pick up. We set rules, they break them.

There is more. We request to see 'A' grades, they scream harassment. We invite people over, they demand personal space.....so on and so forth. You are absolutely right. For both parties, life will not be worth living without the other's cheerful presence. :)

2 people like this.