1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Day At The School

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

After a harrowing day's work at the office, when I was almost ready to depart, my cell phone rang. I was expecting it to be my driver, but when I opened it, I found it to be someone whom many married men fear, some admire and for many like me can't ignore. You guessed it right, it was wife calling from home. This is the time, she never calls. So, slightly worried, I asked,

"What's up?"

"What will you prefer for the dinner, luchi or fried rice? I will cook tonight."

We have a cook who prepares all the items for both lunch and dinner. Very rarely, that too on my persistent request, my wife goes to the kitchen. I wondered, what was special about this day! Was it our marriage anniversary, or was it someone's birthday that I had forgotten?

"I didn't let the children sleep in the noon time. They will sleep early tonight."

When she said this, I knew this was not normal. So, I asked curtly,

"Did you purchase something very costly?"

"Oh! What a unromantic husband I have got!" She was disappointed.

I knew something had to be amiss. While getting up in the car, I rephrased my question,

"Do you want something?"

"Nothing material, you duffer! I want you to be present at the parent teacher interaction session on Thursday."

Now, I understood. I don't like to take unnecessary leave. So, I enquired,

"But, you told me last time that after admission of our younger daughter in the same school, I don't have to go there. You will be able to manage yourself."

She hesitated a bit and replied, "You know there will be bookstalls in the school. Don't we need to buy few Scholastic books? I won't be able to carry them."

I laughed silently. I knew the real reason. She had nothing to fear about the performances of the daughters, or there had been any issue with their discipline. But, like many Bengalis, she, too, lacks confidence in speaking English.

My both daughters study in the same school: the elder one at class 1 and the younger one at nursery. First, we went to the first floor to meet the class teacher of class 1, section A. I had never seen this plump, bespectacled Christian lady clad in baby pink sari before. She handed me the report card, and enquired about the younger daughter, who was with us, from her pupil. I skimmed through the two-paged report card, and found everything satisfactory except one aspect. Before, I said anything, she said,

"Your daughter is very good. There are no issues with her."

"But she got C in discipline!" I wondered!

"She is very talkative. She finishes her work very quickly, and starts to gossip with her friends. But, I assure you that's very normal for her age. There is nothing to be worried about." She explained the matter to us.

Then we went downstairs to meet the Goanese class teacher of my younger daughter. She was a known face, as she taught my elder daughter, too. Her joy knew no bound when she saw her old student. I knew she loved to talk. She praised both my daughters profusely. My wife's face was glowing in satisfaction. But just when we thought it was over, she said,

"There is only one minor issue with her. She speaks more in Bengali than in English."

I looked at my wife again: the glow had vanished.

"But, your elder daughter can speak fluently. I think you need to talk to her in English at home more often."

She turned to my elder daughter, and said,

"Now, it's your responsibility to speak with her in English only. If she doesn't cooperate with you, you come to my class, and inform me."

"That is a great solution", I appreciated her.

My elder daughter was the happiest person on that day. In my opinion, my younger daughter is brilliant, and the elder daughter is just a good student. She got a great satisfaction in proving me wrong. Moreover, I had announced previously that whoever got better grades would get Rs 100 from me. She won that prize too. My younger daughter started to cry, and her mother consoled her by giving Rs 10.

Cheeniya, Amica, Rihana and 7 others like this.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thats a nice account of the event, @Tamrakshar.
    I have only been to a couple of PTA meetings and I still fuss to attend one. There is no issue with my kid's grade and other things, so that part gets done in a minute. The only question that I asked was "Is there anything to be concerned about?" The answer in all the occasions was the same - "Nothing! Your kid is doing very good. Only that he is talkative at times!". But the wait before and the events that I witnessed afterwards, are the ones that would run to a snippet. Kudos to your children and to you two as well sir! That is positive parenting! -rgs

3. Tamrakshar

That's a great comment Srinivasan ji! Thanks for your encouraging words! I will be very happy if you call me Tam!

Riverstream and rgsrinivasan like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Monetary rewards are not the right way to motivate kids. Also comparing two siblings' performance can lead to unhealthy rivalry. The kids have to be convinced that they have to do well just for the heck of it.

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Sequel to Tinni & Rai !:) A day at school is one of the phases which all the parents go through and nice to know that it went well. I was recollecting my experiences with teachers when my kids were in elementary school while reading your snippet.
    What I feel is, it isn't good to show our opinions/comparisons in front of kids. We can improve their skills without comparisons. Everyone is unique and let accept them how they are.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  6. Tamrakshar

MVB, monetary angle is immaterial here, as it was about getting a glossy, new, purple 100 rupees note, whose look the kids like.

Regarding comparison, you maybe theoretically correct. However, in my view, healthy comparison is good. Both of them try to outdo each other, and so far, I have not seen any ill effect.

7. Tamrakshar

What you and MVB wrote maybe the modern view. They have stopped giving marks, instead they are giving grades. I don't know how much beneficial this policy is proving, but in my opinion it's a tad demotivating for those students who like to excel in studies.

8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

9. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

They are giving grades of +A, A, -A and etc based on their marks to lessen the pressure/burden on kids only. All the students don't get same grades and we can't measure anyone's intellectuals through marks only. Students definitely can prove their excellence in college entance exams and etc.

Riverstream and Tamrakshar like this.
  10. Tamrakshar

You definitely have a point Mistt. Overburdening was definitely bad. But, in the name of reducing pressure they have overdone it. Weight of the bag is a big concern for many. I wonder why they don't give lockers to each student to keep books and exercise books in the school itself?!

Mistt likes this.