1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A complicated situation with my mom

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Rakhii, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, I just want you to read through and tell me if I am being taken for granted by my sister and mom. No matter how many times I tell myself its not the case, I have this nagging feeling that the below situation should not have happened.

When my sister was getting married she was given 5 lacks as dowry and a small home (8 years it was worth 10 lacks). They (my sister and BIL) sold the house to pay off some debt my BIL incurred after wards.

Coming to my case, I married a man who is against dowry. So, other than the wedding expenses, me and my parents didn't incur any expenditure.

Now, the situation is, my parents own 3 other apartments in Hyderabad. One is in my sisters son's name (my nephew). The other two are in my parents name but the rent for one of the apartments goes to my sister's account. So, in total she gets rent from 2 paces; one from her son's (who is 6 years old) apartment and one from the apartment in my parents name.

This leaves the third apartment; the rent is going to my parents account.

Now, apparently my parents are writing a "Will" about the beneficiaries. My mom was telling me that the 3rd apartment would be written in my name but for now my sister will be staying there! The other (2nd one) apartment would be in my sisters name.

I am not worried about my sister staying there by knowing my BIL, he is not going to vacate the place if we need it in future!

As of now, my parents live in a their government quarter.

Now, I understand that its not my money and that I shouldnt bother whom they write it to, but as of now, my sister got 3 apartments and I got 1. And that too, she wants to stay in the apartment which is being given in my name because the other ones are a bit far from her DH's work place.

I was quite annoyed but didn't say anything either to my mom or my sister.

According to you, is this fair treatment?

I woud also like to add that both my DH and I work hard (12-14 hrs a day). We saved what ever we could for many months before we could afford a home, cottage and cars for both of us. You people know how difficult it is to earn money right.

My sister never worked in her life. She says she cant do it because of her son...I mean he is 6 years old, he is not an infant right. He doesnt need full time attention.

My parents keep telling me that I am well-off thats why they dont give anything to me. But I have struggled very much before I came to this stage. Is this a fair treatment?

Dont get me wrong I love my mom and sis to pieces....just felt bad that they are letting my sister take away the 1 home I have also.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,

you always can fight for your rights if you wanted.there is always struggle inside of us to get what we wanted or to get good name.Basically most of us,who stays abroad don't fight for the rights.Because all we wanted is love and affection.That's the reason we give up on our properties just to get good name and love from our siblings.
    If you are feeling bad inside,Just tell your mom that you wanted that's it.
    They can't do much about it and it's your right.
    Don't think they don't love you if you ask for you rights.If they really do that,then you get to know there true colors.

All the best.

3. Rakhii

Thanks priya. Its always been like this Priya. My sis gets all the sympathy and I get all the hard-work. Even before graduating its the same thing...I studied well, got a scholarship in a good school and moved abroad. My sis on the other hand was not good in studies simply because she never cared. Obviously she didnt get into good graduate school and my parnets think she is "unlucky". I mean...what happened to all the hours of hard work i put in to get good percentile?

Same thing with job too you know...I really work hard and my parents think i am getting it easy.

I dont want to legally fight for my rights Priya. That would be too awkward.

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

its not fair, but then in their logic esp where your mum has said you have money and not your sis, its fair to them.. as you said, its not your money & god has knowingly givn you the ability to earn everything yourselves.. your sis doesnt have that in her, so its given to her in other ways..
    life needn't be fair dear, & then thats how i have seen life is for many people.. people who toil & work hard, always do & people who live off others continue doing that their life long.. oh and people who have more money they can spend still get more & want more.. but seriously their wants and needs will never be satisfied and i personally feel quality of life for them is much less than what i or you have..

so yes, from your point they are basicvally taking advantage of you, but then you can be the bigger person & let them have their apartment..

5. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

From your parents perspective, it's their money and it's their wish to whom the money goes. So I do not want to comment on it.

From your post, I feel your sister and her husband have BIG plans and are executing through your mom, i.e. she gets the rent of other two apartments and gets to stay in yours. So, she gets to keep the 3 apartments.

So, you might want to talk to your mom and ask for one of the other two apartments. Let your sister have the one she intends to stay in. This is the solution I can give to avoid stepping on each others toes for properties in future.

You must be proud of yourself and your family for your success and all the things you achieved from your hard work. :thumbsup

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,

I don't think you need to legally fight for it.If you tell to you parents straight that you need the appartment then I don't think they have any options left.
    Basically each mother always wants to see all there kids in equal position and you would only understand when you have 2 kids.
    Since your sister is like that ,they will do there best for her as they know you are capable of getting things.
    But this time,just ask for it and I hope they will get it.

7. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

honestly.....your sister and BIL taking advantage of you, since you are in abroad, everybody simply get you out of the frame. so, simply tell to your mom ( she will definitely understand), to write other house on your name, not one they are living, you can play a safe game and tell them, it will be good to let them stay in their own house, so that you can own any of the other 2 houses, if still they are not agree, tell them you need money to buy a house in India or abroad, so you want to sell it. as you said your BIL not going to vacate in the future, so better sell the property or get the other one. I know all these are very sensitive issues, you should handle them with care.

at the same time it is not a fair game what your sister playing, so you do not have to feel guilty to express your feelings.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rakhii, I think you should tell your mom about how you feel ie., your sister staying in the apartment they are planning on giving you may not be a great idea and just leave the rest. Their reaction will tell you a lot and you can make a call on what you want to do after that.

What Archana says is so true. Rights, whose property and all other issues aside, I think you should have the liberty to talk to your mom and say what's on your mind. No point feeling bad. Good luck.

9. Rakhii

@lotusgirl, I hear ya! Both my parents are well educated (my mom is actually a PhD holder), yet they see thing superficially. I mean, my mom keeps saying, "you have a home and you have a cottage. My sis doesnt. So we will give it to her"! Come on...I work my ass off to make a good living!

Archana, I like your idea. I will tell my mom and see if she can write me the other apartment and let my sister take the current one.
    Being far is so difficult Archana. Needless to say, things get done according to what siblings want in India, doesnt happen equally. very sad...
    My mom and dad are coming to visit us in July this year. I will have a heart to heart talk...until then, hope to God, that she doesn't write all the apartments in my sis's name.

@pinkpearl, What hurts me the most is the fact that my sis is letting this happen to me. I really thought she was my best ...best of everything.

@Srama, I will talk to mom and suggest that I would like the smaller house which is in my sisters name.
    Hopefully she will agree. If not, all the houses are gone and I will be left with nothing.
    Ideally it shouldnt bother me because its not my hard earned money. Still...

10. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

that's really a good idea to talk to your mom in person, hope everything will workout fine, at least she will understand how you feel and all