1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Bold Lakshmi Again! But How Many Of You Can Accept Her?

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

oh god really i was almost thinking what is this women doing how can she accept and my heart was racing while i was reading each word..i am glad to see that not only she stood for herself but also for her sister...that way she saved 2 lives being spoiled by the same family....the worst part is instead of seeing the frustration in his wife...the husband still married another girl....(how come he can do such a thing after spending 2 yrs of his life with his so called wife...at one point of the story I thought the husband is also a nice person as he was asking or telling his wife atleast as to what is the problem there...but anyways..looks like he is more bothered about his own image rather than the promise he made to his wife while getting married to her....

Am sure everyone would accept this bold Lakshmi

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, Saahithya. You are right, Lakshmi is really bold and has saved two lives. In those days it was almost an unwritten custom that when a woman does not have any child, her husband married her sister. They did not even care to think that the fault might be with the man.
    thanks for the fb, Saahithya. And welcome to this wonderful site.
    love,

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Sometimes some movies are more hits when they are Re released, and same seems to be the case now with yu.Sorry for the homework heaped on u( Replying to comments), but I see u enjoying replying to the pretty ladies here.HAHA.

And now I feel all yr old graves will be dug bu other readers, and u will find no time to write new blogs as all yr time will go in replying to FB’s.

Good luck dear friend, I am enjoying yr dilemma, and smiling.Regards.kamal

I just replied to yr FB on my sweet and sour, and thanks for the kind words,Sri.

4. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Hari Om!

Dear Sridhar,
    We will never say no to Lakshmi and how to say it to your Lakshmi. For me, she resembles Dhariye Lakshmi. Her action is admirable and she point out a very good view. Just think what happens if all the wives started to blame the husband for not getting a child and remarry? It is very disgrace that not only those days but till now women will be first to blamed when a couple is not blessed with a child. Why people didn’t understand that it doesn’t means the fault must be on the women sight. And I also don’t understand another thing. Why it is always a mother in law will provoke the problem for her daughter in law? She is also a woman, isn’t she? It is really true the Tamil sayings.. “Oru pennuku innoru pennthaen Edhiri”. If the answer is yes, then what about, “oru pennodhe manasu innoru pennukuthaen puriyum”? Is it the first saying is specifically for MIL meanwhile the second is specified for Mother of a girl?

I adore the way you bring out the story together with a good deliberation sridhar.

Regards,
    Vashini.

5. varalotti

Dear Vashini,
    I created Ashtalakshmis in IL just to show the different dimensions of a woman. Not that all Lakshmis are good. Some are bad.But not in any way worse than their male counterparts.
    I have been bogged down by the male chauvinism of blaming the woman if there is no child. Worse still, a woman is blamed if she begets a female child. Sex is determined by the residuary chromosome coming from the man. The child will be boy if it's X and girl if it's Y. But people blame the lady.
    thanks for the nice words, Vashini.
    Now please don't oppose to my using the word thanks here. I can't write a response to fb without that word.
    love,
    sridhar

6. lakshmilatest

lakshmilatest New IL'ite

My Name is Lakshmi and I agree with your Character Lakshmi's actions.
    She said the right thing and did the right thing

7. varalotti

Welcome Aboard, Lakshmi. And you are LakshmiLatest too. Thanks for agreeing with my Lakshmi. There are seven more of them. (I created Ashtalakshmis)
    I am now writing a love story in this site. This is the link to the first episode.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/saturdays-with-varalotti/30922-a-love-story-episode-1-a.html

Just read the first episode. If you like it you may read the rest.
    Wish you a nice stay in IL.
    love,
    sridhar

8. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear varalotti..

The moment i read this post i felt i am proud to be a woman...:thumbsup.i just imagined myself in lakshmi's place and was on cloud9 when she spoke that dialogue...its 100% justice..when their family members could not bear to just hear her words how could those crooks imagine to do this to their daughter-in-law...would they do the same thing if lakshmi was their daughter???

good day...pooja

9. varalotti

Dear pooja,
    As a society, as a species, we have degraded our women. We have insulted them, harmed them and suppressed them. A poor accountant and a part-time writer like me could do only this much. When I see that even this post brings happiness and pride in women, I am really happy.
    The year was 2005. IL membership was in hundreds. At that time I wrote these Ashtalakshmis - 8 different avatars of Lakshmis - all bold, some errant but all of them typifying the women in our society.
    thanks for the words, Pooja.
    love,
    sridhar
    \

10. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I have started digging out all your old stories. It is immense pleasure doing it. What a courageous Lakshmi she is even in that olden days! Hats off to her.
    Thank God she did not give birth through this kind of coward husband. Otherwise she wouldn’t have recognized her husband’s quality.
    On doubt Sridhar, any particular reason for that name Ram. He doesn’t deserve it at all.

Love,
    Meenakshi