#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

this is awesome!!.. have been wanting to try stuffing bhelpuri mix in these egg canopies :)

2. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I tend to agree with that;
    Though the data charts do fall in the range of 42-54 percent weekly consumption of eggs/fish/chicken by men in India, and 32-48 percent for women; this contrast only shows that cultural preferences dictate the meat consumption patterns within gender!
    What surprises me in the chart ,wherein the meat consumption across the country is shaded, the divide between the men and women preferences/meals eaten in the peripheral north eastern states ( i think arunachal, nagaland and mizoram ). Could it be because of economic issues?
    But a quick cross check with
    Doesn't yield to be the case!

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I checked my data for ya, yep momos have made to the list but just not in the top 10. 4 member mentions only, hence not featured in that graph. I do promise though if I did make a doodle about this (whenever be) I will sneak in G's favorite and your momos too there, sounds a deal? :thumbsup:

Afresh likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Lol. I don't take eggs so I have no idea how would it taste but if I had to, think I might enjoy some hot pepper rasam in the middle there. Slurrrp! :lol: :facepalm:

#randomly... Speaking of pepper rasam, it has a Brit cousin you know? The Mulligatawny Soup. Nothing but a fancy English version of our rasam but to suit their taste buds better (of course). Introduced to them in the colonial era, with the mix of their flavors and our spices, the "soup" was a super hit back then. And 150+ years later even today, I read, is still one of their most famous Anglo - Indian dishes. I find this piece of history very intriguing. Likewise is Kedgeree or "Kitchadi"! I had no idea about these dishes' colonial connections until recently. Chutneys, Curry powder and other origin stories here.

In return, the Brits left us with Tea and Coffee. So have the Iranians, Arabs, Afghans and Portuguese settlements in India, influencing our food and culture big ways. A topic that interests me any day, to explore, discuss and understand more deeply. Anywayzzz... Guess in the name of culinary evolution, it's all good thing to fuse food traditions, kitchen techniques from different cultures and innovate new trends that could become a legacy on their own too over generations. Amen to that. So Eggs and Bhelpuri or Rasam... Why not! :thumbup:

On that note...

tea~01.png

Mmmmkay! Food is getting a lot funky these days, I say! :touched:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Are the dark shaded meat regions in the map less Hindutva areas? #OtherUselezzzInferences! :tongueclosed:

Lol. Moving on, "Economic Status" reminded me of another study published recently on the philanthropic abilities of ordinary Indians.

For all our wealth woes, Indians are still major money contributors to local communities, religion, disaster reliefs, charitable causes, nonprofits and thus the country's overall social developments.

Everyday giving by common people in India is 30% more than ultra/high net worth Indian individual giving. And, at least twice the size of everyday giving in China, and ahead of the USA too.

Yay! That's some positive news to read about! :beer-toast1:

ibr1.JPG

ibr2.jpg

More insights here if interested...
    India's Everyday Giving Market | India Development Review.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

[​IMG]
    I agree!

kaniths likes this.
  7. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

wow!!
    Though i wonder , how would they have gotten to the informal giving figures??
    Does donating to temples form part of formal or informal? it should be informal , if temple donations are the source of information

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

That thought did come up to me...

"Informal giving to (...) religion accounts for 90 percent (INR 30,700 cr) of everyday giving. This occurs predominantly in cash and is largely untraceable."

...but then don't temple managements (in turn the "Hundi" collections) come under State Govt. authority? Or the respective Matts and Devasthanams? Informal? Small temples may be. Not sure about other religions either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  9. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Thats what i thought! the bulk is coming from there only! Does it really get distributed to benefit the needy??
    Really!! I didn't know that... :eek: !

Wow ,,..... btw how do you discover such numbers ;)

kaniths likes this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Now, now that's political! Another day, another time. :yum: The takeaway conclusion in the discussed context should be how generous Indians are or tend to be mostly, to have donated or willing to donate in the first place despite the open criticisms whether it is or will be distributed as intended. Cool like that, aren't we? :wink::grinning:
    Lol. It's all just news anyway. Maybe it catches my attention because I'm into all this. :oops:

Afresh likes this.