#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I like that you do your homework. :thumbsup:

The article dismisses the idea that infrequent meat consumption is largely due to economic reasons but doesn't offer any arguments to support that assertion. There are religious reasons like specific periods on the Hindu calendar when meat consumption is prohibited but aside from that most people don't eat meat everyday because 1kg of goat meat costs over Rs 1000! This is based on what I remember from the last time I was there. With that much money a family could buy a week's worth of vegetables and other provisions. So it is very much driven by economics. It used to be the same in China but rising affluence has dramatically increased daily consumption of meat and dairy. For most Indians the frequency of eating meat is a question of affordability.

Afresh likes this.
  2. Gauri03

Afresh likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Why did you hide it here in this thread? Put it in the doodle thread where it gets more visibility. Take it you are a pani puri fan then? They are called gol gappe where I'm from. : ) My favorite street food didn't even make the list. :grinning-smiley-048:

kaniths likes this.
  4. Gauri03

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I got one yesterday evening, just by chance. After my morning run, I was exhausted all day long and the evening coffee and a book did me in. I woke up on the couch 30 mins later feeling invincible until my leg cramps returned at midnight!

Gauri03, Afresh and kaniths like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Admit it, I'm a quick thinker like that! :wink::yum::sunglasses:

Lol. Actually, between me and @Maayon this is an evergreen topic of discussion or say disagreement. :grinning: Fresh in my mind anytime, would say it's a coincidence you brought it up here. :tongueout:

Anywayzzz...
    Hmm, I don't completely agree here. Check the attached table data (from the National Survey Report) in the previous post (say this is Reference #1).

Reference #2: (attaching from the SwjMag article).
    ec.jpg

Reference 3:
    pv.jpg

Let's take the case of Punjab, a "wealthy state". From Reference #1, the percentage of meat eaters in Punjab is only 10%. Their argument that cultural preferences play more role rather their affordability makes more sense to me, not? o_O

Gauri03 and Afresh like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Nah, what's the point without the doodles? :relaxed:

Aloo Tikki is it? Yeah, I think there was one mention of it. Probably your foodie soulmate, will look up the person for ya if you wanna say hello! :wink: Lol. Neither your favorite pickle(s) made it. Jackfruit, and Turnip-Carrot if I remember right? Nope. Just the usuals. Tsk.

Capture10cr1.JPG

I no like Mango/Avakai pickle, 'Maavadu' maybe. Any time favorite would be Lemon, Citron, and Amla. :hearteyes: In with the crowd i guess. :relaxed:

#theDoodlezzzINeverMade. Sigh :relieved:

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

As in....

eggwhat.jpg

:roflmao:This is funnn! :biggrin:

Afresh likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Okay, now I actually did some "homework" - aka looked up for better visualizations for the same NFHS data to present my case.

is-1.png

is2.png

is3.png
    Source: Most Indians Non Vegetarian | IndiaSpend

Hmmmm. I still lean more towards the cultural preferences argument for meat or no meat (daily/weekly) choices of "most" Indians.

Also found another from IndExpress that settles the debate indeed as they claim if one is to believe it's accuracy which btw they assure is based on the same NFHS report. I'm not cross verifying. So be it if India isn't a veggie nation at all. :rolleyes:

But but did ya look what's at the heart of this map though? ;)

ise4.jpg

Freaking brinjal??!! :tearsofjoy:

Damnnn! Nation's favorite no matter what haan? Hands down win there I guess! :smile:

Go on, gloat if you want to. #TeamBrinjalzzz:sleeping::tonguewink: Lol.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  10. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Awesome!!
    I think you missing the 'momos' here, which are on every bend of the streets here in delhi atleast now!

Gauri03 likes this.