#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Sweet tradition, I did see it pop up in my newstream but didn't think there had be a cool history behind the term. Maybe the word "book" would have driven me away! :facepalm: Enjoyed reading about it, thanks for the share.

Iceland and Christmas tradition, I'm reminded of the "Yule Lads". In Icelandic folklore, they are mischievous pranksters and 13 in number. Children leave their shoes on windowsills for the last 13 nights until Yule. Every night, a "Yule Lad" will visit and leave gifts for good children or rotten potatoes as punishment, depending on the child’s behavior throughout the year.

IMG_20181225_162514~01~01.jpg
    :lol:

I have a term for you, "Yuleshard"! Someone who still has things left to prepare and finish on Christmas Eve. ;):p

Lol. Enjoy the warmth of books, fire, and family! Cheers! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

About that... Tumblr is full of library and bookshelves p0rn (ahem aside the kind the app is infamous for :sweatsmile:), it's always a treat to see them pop in the dashboard any time. I enjoy, though the usefulness of such color-coded bookshelves is still very absurd to me, like many others who think it's kinda a lame thing to do, other than serving the purpose of fancy home decors. :relaxed: I prefer to order my books by genre and topic, then by authors as a second level sorting. :innocent:
    Well, there are blogs that suggest books with varying shades of colored covers, to stack as matching decors.
    Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.18.10 PM.png
    This is recommended buys for #Pink! :grazy::lol:

At least color code the titles based on the author, like this one. P. G. Wodehouse, (somewhat)sorted by color. Works, isn't?
    photo-4.jpg

Having said all that, some months back this showed up on the feed and brought a smile.
    Screenshot_2018-07-05-12-21-33-473_com.tumblr~01~01.png
    Creative much! :thumbsup:

I imagined myself the other way. In a full circle, a dent would be only what I would have managed to read! #Tsundoku all the way! :facepalm: :lol:

Lol. Here is to you.
    Screenshot_2018-10-13-10-31-51-169_com.twitter.android~01.png
    Happy shopping, stacking, sorting and reading! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

#nappuccino

Have you heard of the latest napping hack invented by one Daniel Pink? Drink a cup of the caffeine laden elixir and get yourself some shuteye — 25 minutes to be precise. In 25 minutes the caffeine enters the blood stream and reaches the brain, ostensibly waking you up. Of course an alarm isn't a bad idea if you are a heavy sleeper or trying this at work. The hypothesis is that 25 minutes later thanks to the 'nap + java = nappuccino' you wake up alert and refreshed. As with every productivity hack, the bullet proof coffee for instance, this one is being embraced as the latest panacea by the tech world's overworked brains.

nap.png

Afresh, satchitananda and kaniths like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I like the idea! But...how do you go to zzz mode instantly like that? By the time I managed to shut my eyes, it had been an hour already! Maybe I should take a cannabis cuppa instead! :lol: Oh, how I wish! Lol. Thanks for the share, I will give this a try! :thumbsup:

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Carrying over the topic of data visualizations from Gabfest here.

Since food is a perennial favorite here is some fun data on how India eats. I wish they'd used a simple pie chart instead of the confusing bubbles but the data is fascinating. The North East is not a surprise but I didn't expect to see such a high incidence of vegetarianism in the North West. 75% people in Rajasthan are vegetarians! About 30% of the country is vegetarian, so we are very much a country of meat-eaters. Of course by gross numbers we have more vegetarians than the populations of most countries.

e8rx9mlo1ut21.jpg

Here are the most iconic foods from each state. Would be a fun idea to travel around the country to taste the best from the most storied dastarkhans. #foodtourism

IndianCuisineMap.jpg

Afresh and kaniths like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

What about the conditions like how often they ate meat?

SwarajyaMag had an article discussing the same topic recently, region wise stats with multiple factors considered.

Think Indians Are Mostly Non-Vegetarian....?

I know they lean right ways much but their analysis is based on National Family Health Survey report (2015-16) (latest publication as per the website and available as pdf to download, if interested).

1.png
    2.JPG
    3.JPG

"...only 45.9 percent actually consume “non-vegetarian” food on a weekly/daily basis."

"...4 in 10 Indians are regular meat-eaters, with less than 1 in 10 consuming meat on a daily basis."

Religion and Caste seem to be prime contributing factors, Muslim and Christians scoring high as meat eaters. No surprises there I guess. Overall Assam, WB, and Kerala top the list. (Rest of) India Inc. is veggie after all? :wink1:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Afresh and Gauri03 like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#foodtourism
    Simple be damned! Lol. Here is another data viz I stumbled upon while I was exploring inspirations for my #chART doodles. :relieved:

Google Image Result for httpsipinimgcomoriginalsb0.png

Source: 120 Tastes from Indian States | Data Visualisation.

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Ever wondered what were ILites' favorites? :wink:

After the last meta #chART doodle, I was thinking to try something simple, something less messy to draw too. I chose the "Famous Street Food from your City" thread and here is my conclusion. Ugly draft btw, don't judge! :grin:

Capture11.JPG

By then I had lost motivation to draw and dropped it. #theDoodleINeverMade! :tongueclosed:

Anyways... Pani Puri Rocks! :hearteyes::cheer:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Afresh and Gauri03 like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

New trend alert... FalooDa(l)!!

dhalllll~01.png
    :roflmao:#DalOL!

Afresh likes this.