#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

While you are exploring women of sci fi, do look up Ursula Le Guin. The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed and The Earthsea series are favorites. Rendevous with Rama is a classic, and the sequel is okay. The rest of the series gets progressively more bizarre!

kaniths likes this.
  2. Gauri03

#sacredgames

I'm done watching Sacred Games, all credit to Mr Husband who was utterly hooked on the show. Made me watch it in record time. Your question about the Mandala motifs in the opening credits got me curious and I did some poking around on fan forums. The creator of the opening sequence provided some cool insights into the artwork and the mythology around it. They made the images free to share so putting it up here with the descriptions.

1 - K0QSyVc - Sacred Games Episode Emblems_ Episode 1_ Ashwathama.png

Sacred Games Episode Emblems: Episode 1: Ashwathama

Ashwathama (Sanskrit: अश्वत्थामा, Aśvatthāmā) or Ashvatthaman (Sanskrit: अश्वत्थामन्, Aśvatthāman) is a character from the Mahabharata, an ancient Sanskrit epic which is a basis for Hindu mythology. Ashwathama was a mighty Maharathi (warrior) who fought on the Kaurava side against the Pandavas in the great Kurukshetra War. Thought to be an avatar of Lord Shiva himself, Ashwathama was born with a gem in his forehead which gave him the ability to command all living beings lower than humans. Among several supernatural powers, he was also known to be immortal. The tragedy of his life is that he would live on to see everyone he loved and cherished die.

According to Mahabharata, Ashwathama used a weapon known as the Brahmashira Astra. The weapon was thought of as the penultimate destroyer, as it fires a powerful tirade of millions of deadly missiles simultaneously. In Mahabharata, it is explained that when this weapon is invoked, "It blazes up with terrible flames within a huge sphere of fire. Numerous peals of thunder were heard, thousands of meteors fell and all living creatures became terrified with great dread. The entire sky seemed to be filled with noise and assumed a terrible aspect with flames of fire. The whole earth with her mountains and waters and trees trembled."

Images © Netflix India and Plexus Post

Sums up the entire first season in a way -- the origin of Gaitonde, his rise, fall and the threat of total annihilation. It's exciting to see an Indian series put forethought into the minor details. Hope this spurs the development of more mature and grounded television series in India.

sokanasanah, Viswamitra and kaniths like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

When was the last time you dug fan forums? Firefly? Wait, LOTR days? :wink: That and the fact that you have finished the watch in a record break time justifies the hype after all I guess! :smile: Lol. Just kidding. Thank you for looking up the info, interesting details. Adds a new perspective to the story, do include the description for the rest of episodes too.

Any clue why it's drawn on doors or openings or entrances only? (Saif figures this and opens one such to get to the basement in the last episode before the cliffhanger unwinds.)

Randomly... I'm reminded of Talaash movie! Not for Nawaz sake though. A desperate cop on an unusual pursuit? No? Just me? :smile:

4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Watching Now:

5. Gauri03

Oh you'd be surprised! From LOTR to The Expanse I love hanging out on fan forums. The energy, the enthusiasm is infectious. It is like a support group when the show gets cancelled like Firefly and Expanse where you can vent and cry and commiserate. Also a place to rage and rant when they violate canon as in GOT. It's like having a group of friends who all enjoy the same activity as much as you. Try it! It's a lot of fun if you can steer clear of the obsessive compulsive types!

kaniths likes this.
  6. Gauri03

A supernatural series! Radhika Apte seems to have found her niche as Netflix's favorite Indian actor. :lol: No complaints. I am glad they didn't pick up a glamorous Bollywood type and pass her off as a RAW agent.

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, I do hang around some forums meant for the bent types. Wink Wink. Lol. Otherwise it was POI final days, when Root was gone. Broke my fan heart, you know. :blush:

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Mummy! It's **** scary! :dizzy::dizzy:

Three episodes, so far I'm liking it. BG score especially. And, R has done a good job. I ain't complaining either. :sweatsmile:

9. Gauri03

Ha ha! The tongue lashing I received thanks to you is unforgettable! :smash2:Though I must add that I am not a Sacred Games fan girl. The show is good but doesn't quite rank in my all time favorites. Besides the fan forums are full of desi dudes trying a bit too hard with the nonstop stream of expletives and explicit talk. Seriously, Indian guys have a lot of growing up to do. :roflmao:

10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

What! Nah! It's not going into my all time favorite list and all! :smile: I recommended only as a good watch. :innocent: But thanks to the show :sweatsmile:, I finally got your joke about the 'MC' thread. :grin::tonguewink: Lol.