1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 months old passing mushy frequent stools past 2 weeks!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vaali, Nov 16, 2012.

1. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

So, lovely moms.. my otherwise healthy baby has been passing frothy whitish yellow/ sometimes bit greenish stools past couple of weeks & syp. bactrim (cotrimoxazole) prescribed by the pead the first week dint do the trick. So this week changed the antibiotic to syp. taxim O (cefotaxime) & wanted us to go ahead with stool examination & urine culture if the stools doesnt get back to normal with taxim too. Taxim day 3 today & no improvement yet. Gonna go do the tests tommorrow for him. Oh btw im also breast feeding him during the day.

Thing is im just wondering if it could be cow milk allergy or something related to milk intolerance? i have been giving him aavin 3% since he is 7 months old without any problems till past 3ish weeks. Shouldn't milk allergy start with in days to weeks it is introduced to the baby if it is so? any mom's with similar kind of kid's history? so what is that you give to the bub if it the milk allergy?

Please throw me some light. Im so worried thinking what else will i give him if it turns out to be a milk allergy! :(

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaali
    I dont think its because of milk allergy... I think it might be due to tummy infection... An urine and stool culture might reveal it pls get it done soon....

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vaali this does not seem like milk allergy. This seems like infection. Generally diarrohea in babies takes a week to stop completely. It would stop gradually only. This will ensure that the infection does not stay inside the body.

1 person likes this.
  4. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

When a child has loose motions, it takes upto 2-3 weeks to get the stomach back to normal.....give it sometime to settle, but please test stool/ urine.

1 person likes this.
  5. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Oh thanks a lot ladies! his loose stools finally seem to be settling as you all say. I was so so worried & thank god it got better now. I tried lactogen instead of the high fat milk which is also helping him i guess. May he wasn't able to digest the fat with the already screwed up stomach due to bug or whatever. I will gradually reintroduce the 3% milk anyway.
    Thanks so much for the replies!! btw, his stools & urine examination turned out to be normal as expected :D pheww.. what a relief! im such a panicy mommy!!

6. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

yes, it seems to be tummy infection consult doctor

7. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Vaali sister,

My sister's son also had this problem and he is 10 months old now. She also got panic. (I think she is also a panic mommy). We consulted a doctor and he asked us to do a culture test on urine. there was no problem in the result . then the doctor asked to check for a week. we gave him only lactogen and nestum. Loose motion almost decreased in a week and we again checked with the doctor. He said baby is fine now and it is common with the babies of these months. And my sister is in a great relief now.

1 person likes this.