1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

80/20

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HazelPup, Feb 22, 2018.

1. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Pareto Priniciple states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. Source Wikipedia

Now I have heard about 80/20 many times especially at work when 80% of major work happens in the last 20% of the time. 80% of issues reported will be from 20% of code and so on. In life mostly 80% of the time events will go smoothly as planned. It would not affect us unless when the 20% unplanned or unexpected events happen which doesn't 80% of the time.

Sometime back I was upset that few of my college mates took making fun(of me) to a different level. I was very much hurt but did not show my true feelings to them. It took me many days to move on. Someone looks pretty while someone is good at something. Can everyone be the same? Why can't they accept the indifference and just let me be. With great difficulty decided to move past that incident.

As I put that behind and moved on another issue cropped up at work today. It was a team activity for a volunteering event. Someone withdrew in the last minute that affected a group as a whole. I was thinking that this happens 20% of the time. In a group activity someone does something not taking into account the big picture or how it affects the rest of the group.

I was sincerely contemplating was it even worth to spend my energy and effort in this regard. Should I be focusing my energy and effort where it is needed rather than wasting my time on this. As I opened my FB page I noticed this 80/20 message which loudly said just because 20% of the people take advantage of some situation is it worth to deny some good to the rest 80%?

Felt like someone sent me a message. With my college mates incident good that I kept my cool and delayed responding to them, I thought 80% of the time this company keeps me happy and gives me a lot of fun. So should I let this teasing take away the 80% fun? Similarly thinking about today's incident I concluded that 20% are anyway going to take advantage of any situation and so denying goodness to the rest of the group is unfair. Thanks to that FB message a Lesson well learnt. Is this what Gita teaches "Don't expect. Just do your duty".

Sandycandy, kkrish, MonikaSG and 9 others like this.
  2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Too deep for me! All I know is that 80/20 = 4, also, I didn't know that Gita Kashyap is a teacher! Thanks for the information!

HazelPup, kkrish, sindmani and 3 others like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I think Hazel is talking about Bagvad Gita not Geetha Kashyap

HazelPup, sindmani, Naari and 3 others like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@HazelPup,

That's indeed a wonderful message; a Broader picture is more important! Isn't this maturity all about?

The moment I saw the title, the first thing that struck me was this is an article about real estate! If you are in India, you would be aware how the builders advertise! Pay 80% later, book a flat by paying just 20%!!!!!!!!!LOL!

Vijima @iyerviji, @Tamrakshar is just pulling the leg! Looks like he is in his element today! Enjoyed it bro, Good one:thumbsup:

5. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Vanakkam Viji Aunty and Geeta Akka! Yes it was a joke. Just could not resist myself from cracking it.

iyerviji and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP , good one. I thing I would like to say is if someone makes fun of you, I would apply the 100/0 principle, meaning devote absolutely zero energy or thought on that one. Just ignore :smile:Stay happy:thumbsup:

HazelPup, Amica, GeetaKashyap and 3 others like this.
  7. iyerviji

I am wondering how I got so many likes .Thanks to Bagwad Gita

8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Aunty again due to the other geeta. Gita gives knowledge, Miss geeta brings with her knowledge, creativity, art, warmth & likes too:blush: she is some kind of phenomenon on ILs, almost a cult.

HazelPup, GeetaKashyap and iyerviji like this.
  9. iyerviji

Very true dear, I agree 100% with you.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up. A forum is a great example of the Pareto principle in action. 80% of the activity is generated by 20% of the members. We wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time. Use only 20% of our possessions 80% of the time. When you think in those terms it becomes easy to identify the clutter in our lives, the stuff we don't need. Also applies to priorities. Make a list of your top 10 goals and find the 2 that will bring about 80% of the satisfaction or change you desire. Then devote 100% of your time and energy pursuing only those goals. It is a great way to simplify your life and identify what really matters to you!

HazelPup, GeetaKashyap, SunPa and 8 others like this.