1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6months Old - Mid Night Feeding

Discussion in 'Infants' started by whitedaisy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. whitedaisy

whitedaisy Bronze IL'ite

My DD just completed 6 months. Last week doctor said to stop mid night feeding. She said baby should learn sleeping without taking food at least 5 hours. So said feed at 10:00- 10:30 and early morning.
    Till now I followed everything that these american doctors said. For some reason I am not sure about this.
    How about you guys are you feeding your kid midnight?

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP
    My LO was sleeping through the night from birth( time I rembr ) means 4 am was her wakeup time and first feed. Gradually it went down to even later. If i rember correctly, by 6 months, her first feed was 6/7 am and last was sleep feeding late night were in b/w 9-12 pm'ish before feeding just we went to bed. That was sleep feeding so doctors are suggesting right but as a new mom, I understand how nervous u are. Also each child is different.

3. whitedaisy

whitedaisy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks sanjuruby3 for reply!
    my worry is my DD won't cry for milk, instead she bytes her lips or sucks finger, makes me feel bad.

4. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby is 3 months old and d doing the same. Not crying but sucks finger. :disappointed: pls tell it's normal?

5. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

It is completely normal.... Most of the babies dont cry for feed..... You can just lift the baby and try to feed when she sucks her fingers..... if she drinks, then well and good...if not, she might be awake for sometime and sleep...

vnkarthee likes this.
  6. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

My 7 month old LO still has 2-3 night time feeds. I tried stopping the night feed but her weight went down so started again. She also starts eating hands in sleep

7. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

My Lo used to feed every 2hrs till 7.5 months..
    I tried giving water, and watery milk, but he used to
    Cry then listened to my moms advice and fed when
    He woke in night as per his needs..

Once he was 7.5months he stopped feeding every 2hrs
    On his own... And now his timings are 10pm, 2pm and
    Next 6am from 7.5 month... Hes 9.5months now

Hopefully by 1yr he wll feed at 10pm and 6am.

I suggest go with baby's needs....And dont hurry to wean

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi

My baby was preemie..

I used to keep alarm every 3hrs and feed the baby
    Till he was 5months old....

9. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

My son is almost 6 months and I just BF him on demand. He normally wakes twice a night on his own and I quickly feed him back to sleep but I would never wake him up to feed him. He weighs 15 pounds and is steadily gaining weight. As a U.S. raised Indian who socializes in both Indian and non-Indian circles, I find it ironic that many White Americans are obsessed with sleep training their infants to sleep 7-7AM and get rid of the midnight feedings (which I don't agree with either. I think babies will let us know when they need to eat and we should feed them on demand) while many Desis are forcibly waking their infants up to feed them when the baby WANTS to sleep (total opposite, instead of following their babies' cues, following the pressures to "make their babies fat" and eat as much as they can possibly push into their mouths to prove themselves "good parents").

BTW- I also have a beautiful, playful 5 year old daughter who I raised the same way and she has a very positive attitude towards both food and sleep. I BFed her on demand and she started sleeping mostly through the night on her own at around 14 months.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

If he doctor has recommended it, it is good to follow. It is important that your child learns to sleep undisturbed because sleeping undisturbed goes a long way in the development of the brain.

I suggest you read up about schedules that could be followed on the baby whisperer website.

Now that your child is 6 months old, I suppose you'd be starting the weaning process. With this the child doesn't need to be fed often.

Put the child on a schedule. Remember children usually don't go hungry. If your child is chewing her fingers, she is self soothing. It is an important skill for the child to learn too. So, back off and let the child fall back asleep. In case her weight drops or she seems sluggish, consult a medical professional. Otherwise it is a good habit she is being taught.