1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 year old DS is arrogant and cries a lot when I drop at school :(

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MahiSree, Jun 15, 2015.

1. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

My DS is 6 years old. He is in Class 1 now.
    He is a very smart and intelligent kid who has excelled in academics and other activities at school.

Recently(From April-for few days and then holidays and then by June) he has entered into full day schooling. 3 years of Kindergarten was half day. Then, during the initial months he cried and was perfectly alright. Infact he loved to go to school.

In April, for nearly 15 days he had full day schooling and there wasn't a single problem except for poor lunch habit. He would not take his lunch properly at school. He eats properly only if there's aloo or gobi fry.

Coming to the problem now. After summer holidays when classes resumed, for 2 days he was ok. Then 3rd day while dropping he started crying loud that he would stay at home that day alone. I consoled and asked him , why suddenly he wants to stay at home? ('coz he got ready, asked his fav dish for lunch and snacks too. No problem till reaching school gate)
    He replied that 'Ma'm is teaching the same thing for whole day. Am not able to play. Feeling bored'...all these he will tell with a loud cry.
    His class teacher is a new one to the school. So I thought because of the new face he is uncomfortable. I consoled him saying that every year new teacher only would come. So need not panic.
    He didn't listen. (During holidays he had his arm fractured. and we removed bandage a day before school start. so I asked permission to carry his bag till class room for one month as per doctor's advice)
    He was trying to run away from the class and Principal mam came for rescue.
    For 5 mins she asked me to sit with him in the class. I did. but when I was about to leave , he again started the tantrums. I couldn't control him, neither the teachers.

This crying and tantrums is still continuing. (today too)
    His Principal called us and talked with us having her class teacher along with. Class teacher told that only for first hour, he will cry or not listens to anyone and afterwards he's normal,listens, writes ..everything fine.
    Principal mam gave some tips on how to handle kids. All that we have tried already.

He uses abusive words sometimes when he gets angry/arrogant like this.

I am a working mom. I severely got upset with the sudden change in him.
    I really need your kind help friends. Please suggest something which am ready to do to make my kid feel happy at school and home.

(PS: I stay with my in-laws. 99% its them who would drop/pick him from school.)

Thanks for the patience in reading this long post.Sorry for typos if any....

~MahiSree

2. friendlyaqua

friendlyaqua Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mahishree

I think it is just an seperation anxiety. You can do one thing, if there is school bus facility, drop him to bus. The kids are sad when we leave them. If they are leaving us and going they wont be much affected. For me this technique worked.

And keep a watch on what how is ur in laws behaviour. Their pampering or their agression can trickle down to the kid.

Take care. Dont stress yourself. Working ladies all are always found to be in a guilt situation and the kids very well know how to emotionally blackmail their moms

3. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Thanks friendlyaqua...yes he is pampered by my in-laws. Also mil is aggressive. Fil is not.but they are here for 5 yrs now and he was fine during KGs
    Our house is very near to school. That's y we didn't opt for school bus

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

sometimes kids needs more attention and emotional assurance of love...if possible spend some more quality time with him and try to make him happy....play with him...take him to outings....hug n kiss him a lot....spending time with you and more luv from u may calm him....

5. friendlyaqua

friendlyaqua Bronze IL'ite

Mahisree i had the same issue when I was in India. His school was near but I ensured that he was travelling by school bus. Acc to me its very important for kids to learn to adjust with others, in a protective environment, they tend to become introverts and cant share or care for others.
    My inlaws are also agressive so I had to confront and tell them to modify their behaviour and not to get any agression even with outsiders or maids or other helpers in front of my kid.
    Let your inlaws go to drop him if not by bus. and you say bye to him at your doorstep. Slowly he will understand, you dont go to drop him.

1 person likes this.
  6. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Really I do spend most of my time with him. Even if I reach home by 8pm, I make a point to spend time with him, till bed time(Like reading/writing, playing, watching his cartoons)
    He always says that I am his best friend:)
    He knows that though am not strict, am firm in decisions when it comes to his activities. But still he cries :(

7. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Yes, my in-laws only drop him 99% of the time. As they were out of town, I went on that day.
    Yesterday night, I firmly told him that , only if he goes to school and stay there full day, I will talk to him.
    He was 'Ok'. Still he cried after my hubby dropped him at school. Poor Hubby, he's also very upset:(

8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Talk to him a lot abt his school...may be something is troubling him....talk in general abt his studies, teachers ,frnds,tiffin time etc...he may open up to u abt school...is he able to make frnd thr? My daughter feels uncomforable in school if she doesnt have gud frnds thr...
    if school give some option of learning some extra activity in school time than enroll him for tht...he may find the school interested then...

1 person likes this.
  9. SSNmom

SSNmom Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am facing the same situation now as MahiSree. My daughter is at 2nd std and she normally cries on Monday mornings after Sat and Sun holidays. Now after vacation school re-opened in June. She is crying a lot once I leave home for work. She throws all tantrums with my hubby and my mother-in law who drop her at school. When I started asking some open ended questions like why she is crying, what happened she is saying "I am scared to go to school, teacher might beat me, other children will complain about me". She had seen teacher beating other kids and becoz which she got scared.

I always ensure she finish her homework, activties everything perfect so that dosent come as excuse for taking leave.

I also tried getting gifts for her when she dosent cry to go to school. after 2-3 days same thing repeats.

I am feeling so depressed that I am tired of talking and explaining everything to her. When she starts crying she will repeat the same thing again and again.

In school after reaching teacher says she stops crying and she is good in all her work.

I dont know how to handle her everyday :(

10. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Hi SSN

At school how is she?. I go with @coolgal123, Try talking to her about the happenings in the school. Check whether she is scared or annoyed of anyone there. (could be anyone there) .

If she is happy and normal, then try to kindle interest in her to go to school. For eg. You could say the teacher gave a very positive feedback & appreciated your daughter.