1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4yrs Old Is Putting His Finger, Tshirt In His Mouth

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by pumpkin01, Sep 5, 2016.

1. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, Happy Ganesh Chaturthi !!!

My son who is 4yrs old is putting his finger, tshirt in his mouth ...sometimes his toes also :( :( .... we have been advising him not to do making him understand about germs and all that but all in vain.... read different sites that it could be due to boredom/alone/anxiety but I tried to notice the moments and found it's none of them....I was just wandering could it be any deficiency ?? I could not found on any site stating about the deficiency so need your advice if anyone has gone through this and whether we should consult doctor or not.... Thanks in advance.

2. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

You have already explained to him that putting things in his mouth is not a good practice. Since he is 4, he is capable of understanding what you say to him. My suggestion is, be consistent! Whenever you see him do it, pull his finger/clothes/toe out immediately and remind him of what you spoke. You could say 'honey, remember you are not supposed to do that?" say it in a matter of fact way, do not make him feel embarrassed or ashamed. If you are not alone with him, use descretion. You do not want him to feel humiliated in front of other people. and when he listens to you, praise him. And have a goal- for every hour he refrains from this bad habit, he earns points. And he can redeem enough points for little prizes. Positive behavior reinforcement is the key in helping children get rid of bad habits.
    And of course the above will onky work if this is a bad habit and not because there is a medical reason behind it. I hope someone else can throw more light on that!

3. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @zales for your advice ..... the point system works with other things so let me try with this also :) thanks once again.

4. Aabha82

Aabha82 New IL'ite

Point system sounds creative idea. as every kid, my kid also have some bed habits, i already tried my best but still she do that. Will try this point system now, thanks :)