1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4 yrs old not having lunch in school

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ramyaganesh04, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ramyaganesh04

ramyaganesh04 Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    my son is going to Jr K.g .. whatever i give for lunch its coming untouched. Even i had informed the class teacher also.. She says "we can feed him but can't force him.."
    I use to give him different varieties also
    like whatever he likes egg rice, lemon rice, veg rice with sauce etc +fruit.. but when he comes from school the box is not even opened.. i am really worried..
    As last yr he had school till 12.30PM only but now till 3.20 by the time he reaches it will be 4.10..
    friends kindly suggest me what to do..

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Could you try giving finger foods - like strips of Paratas, carrots, cucumbers, fruits, nuts etc? I would suggest give a lot of items in small portions to start with so that he doesn't feel bored eat big one big quantity of one dish.

Does your child know to eat on his own? Does he eat by himself at home? Let him eat by himself at home. You sit with your plate and let him sit with his and eat. Make sure you don't feed him at all even if he is being very slow or has a huge left over. Without commenting take the plate away; don't give any snacks if he hasn't eaten well. Don't show that you are overly concerned by pampering or scolding him afterwards. You can make him learn by being consistent...

good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ramya what does he do during dinner? if he is not eating by himself, encourage him to start doing that. Its probably easier for him start at home than at school. that really is the best way to start getting him to eat at school. This has to be consistently followed everyday. I understand that you may try to feed him because he has been starving all day. resist the temptation and get him to eat by himself. If he is hungry enough, he will start eating.

1 person likes this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

@ramya,

Is he able to open the lunch box on his own ? Please check.

5. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

am going through the same with my 5 year old.. am totally helpless..

6. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Ramya: I see youre in India and I know schoold just opened this week so just hang in. Also, before the school started did he eat himself or do you used to feed him? Is this new school and new teachers? Also do all kids bring food from home or use school food. A 4yr old can respond to your questions really well so did you try asking him why he is not eating at all? That is a long time for a kid to not eat at all. But sometimes changes in environment and routine affects kids food but they swing back once the settle in new life.

1 person likes this.
  7. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I think some kids are like that...as some one said jus check if the box is too tight. I think he is getting his share from his buddies (its actually wonderful feeling to taste others food !)

How do I know?....I was that kid you are takinng about, emptying my box over street dogs...done it for 10 consecutive years..all thru my school life

Trust me, they wouldnt starve themselves....may be try other foods,not routine ones.

8. ramyaganesh04

hi,
    last yr also he studied in the same school with same friends.he use to have himself only..when i asked him he says he doesn't feel hungry at all.. even last 4 days he didn't even had anything in school..
    i had given him rice, poori, also..
    but 2day i just tried to pack his box with colorful items.. os prepared some bread omlet with vegiees and some nuts(he loves dry grapes and fig) let see.. he said hell have today..

9. ramyaganesh04

haha..
    this angle i didn't think .. i ll ask him today:2thumbsup: