1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4 month old sleeping at day

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Natcdm, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Natcdm

Natcdm New IL'ite

Hi ladies
    My lil one is 4 months old. He is sleeping at day and awake during night hours. Per mom , i should atleast wait until 5 months to put him on a schedule. Until then should leave him on his own. But i find it extremely difficult as my parents left recently. Its really tough for me to be awake at night. I just cant control and falling asleep. My husband is awake all night and sleeps just 4 hours from 5 am to 8.30 am. He has his work as well and i just dont wanna keep this going. Any advice will be helpful

Below is his pattern. Getting better now.
    Sleeps from 1 pm to 9 pm. Plays for sometime and falls back to sleep from 11.30 to 2.00am. Mostly awake after that.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To change his sleeping pattern you can try the following:

Do not put diapers during his afternoon sleep especially between 3.00 PM - 7.00 PM. That way he will have a disturbed sleep and eventually wake up. At 7.00-7.30 PM you can give him a warm bath and make him sleep.

When you try this you LO is going to be cranky. But 4-5 days of this and his sleeping pattern will change.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

My view is day time sleep of 8 hours (1pm to 9pm) is causing the problem.

Usually by 4-6 months babies fall into 9-10hours of night sleep and take 2-3naps in the day. I suggest start taking him out in the evenings say by 4 or 5pm, take him on a long walk or to a park where he will start watching things and be awake. Even at home get some toys which has music and lights, he would love to watch it and will keep awake in the day. Try to make his day time sleep shorter, this will for sure help long hours of night sleep.

2 people like this.
  4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Help him in making him understanding the difference between day and night. During his nap time don't make everything silent. Do not put the blinds.

1 person likes this.
  5. Natcdm

Natcdm New IL'ite

Thank u Ramya and Lavanya. Trying this and tettung better:).