30 year old , planning to study MBA in India after a long break, ANY HOPE ??

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by burningsoul, Dec 12, 2011.

1. burningsoul

burningsoul New IL'ite

Hi Ladies
    I would like to know the prospects of doing MBA . My background is like this, completed graduation in science in 2004( 7 years back !!!) .It was a 4 year special/professional course .. and while doing PG ,got job in a nationalized bank,SO quit studies in midst .and joined job.

Worked 18 months as probationary officer and when got married , I had to quit the job due to domestic abuse. that was in September 2008 ( 3.5 years back).After that ,i was a house wife till now.

Now I am on verge of separation/divorce and would like to move on with my life. Since I turned 30 ,I cannot opt again for bank jobs. so i wanted to do MBA.which I guess would give me more chances to get a job .and studies and student life will freshen up my mind from the abusive relation.
    I was good in studies , with 90, 80,and 85 % marks
    1) will i get admission in good B- schools , with all these years gaps and a degree in not very common science subject
    2)even if I get admission, will I get good placements ??
    I dont want very hi-fi corporate life, something small and decent which helps me to live my own without depending anyone.

What is your opinion friends ??
    Any suggestions ??

2. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

I am turning 31 in a few days...thats what my life had been till 2years back---- a B.A. degree (with disgustingly low marks, no specialization !!) then PG in fashion/retail--got decent jobs in spite of an ugly academic record--still no focus in career!!..and trust me my track record was more pathetic than it sounds right now!

Anyways...in a different country from mine in which people are jobless due to recession- where education is expensive like hell......I recently took the risk of starting, not MBA...but a lengthy and expensive-- second bachelors+masters degree.....Now I think life rocks--getting 4.0 GPA consistently, being president of a science club and member of others, being in deans list, working on research with professors, achieving good things... and feeling veryyy veryyyyyy happy ......I don't care about whether I'll get a job or not--because I believe hard working people get rewarded, !

Its a second opportunity at life which not everyone gets..GRAB IT WITH BOTH HANDS AND PROVE THAT YOU ARE A ROCK STAR !! Best of Luck!!..

P.S. You have said you don't want a great corporate career!...Why not?? Why just any job....work hard and get THE JOB and life you dream of !!

don't worry about age....its just a number--think that you are 20!!..
    about other people what will they think----if you know for how LESS time people think about YOU.....you will definitely not worry about them. They don't have time to think for long about you, or about your age........and those people who matter, and who care about you...will only be proud !!
    (I too was worried about my age.....and when I felt low...I got motivation from people who loved me...also came to IL seeking some advice/motivation....even members in Indus-Ladies encouraged me---and then I boldly kept working hard without caring about anything else :D.....and it makes a lot of sense now!! )

6 people like this.
  3. burningsoul

burningsoul New IL'ite

@Reflection123
    Thanks for your reply and encouragement.
    I am worried because ,i am planning to take up studies in India-as we know, the system there is quite traditional.and age is a factor there, .May be its not if I were working and has experience of all these years.But my case is different.I was sitting at home,doing nothing . I dont know whetehr I can go through CAT/MAT/XAT etcetc.only my self confidence is there,that i can work hard ..
    I know age and bachelors degree etc are not at all a problem in US (assuming u r in NJ-USA).But i cant study here. :( Lucky you are.

Good luck wih your studies . come out with flying colors dear ..:thumbsup

I am ready to accept any job,thats what I meant . I heard ,back in 2005/06 that someone from my class didnt get placement from some MNC's ONLY because of his bachelors degree even though he performed very well in his MBA .He studied a A grade B-school ..

4. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    You can seriously take a course on some IT or admin related subjects.keep fake experience and get in to some job..it is togh but i hav seen many ppl doing it
    alternatively u can do some call centre job/an librarian kind of job ..in the mean time u can pursue distance education through symbiosis (which costs around 30k for 2 yrs)..thez r few cost effective ways

1 person likes this.
  5. kritka

kritka Junior IL'ite

Hi

In case u qualify the exams for MBA in india , CAT,XAT etc u will def come out with flying colours .The only hurdle is tha gapfor which u will be def questioned .U can try for fake exp which may include exp from family owned business since it will be a task for u to manage from a firm.U can even try for distance mba for which the grilling will not be much.U can even try for some admin jobs just to give u a start.
    Rest dont worry and u will def come out with flying colours!!All the best...

1 person likes this.
  6. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

dear burning soul,
    i am close to 30, worked with a pvt bank for 1 yr then took a gap of 1.5 yrs and then joined a public sector bank and worked for 18 months and now left India to join my DH.here, we are for a short term may be another 1 year.but i still think i can have a career when i go back to India. Though life wont be as comfortable as in a public sector bank, you can always choose for a pvt one.they are many pvt banks in India which you can get through not much difficulty. Put your resume in all job portals.Also check in your relatives if someone is into banking and tell them to inform you if they have openings in their bank.As far as i know pvt banks will be more willing to take ex-emp of public sector banks.after you put on 2-3 yrs experience there you can try for public sector banks at grades where there are only interviews and no written tests.hope this info helps you. I suggest if you find a job carry on with it and do a online or executive MBA from a reputed institute.If you arent able to find one then you can do a full time MBA.
    hope this info helps you.

2 people like this.
  7. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

i guess 30 is not that big number.You can always state that you have taken a break to look after you life when questioned about your break.so focus on all those aptitude tests and get into a repute institute.if you procrastinate now then later on you will feel much more bad as age increases.don't give way for those feelings.good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Hi BS,

Happy to see that u r progressing in making positive changes...
    I am not sure whether u r specific about MBA (i mean administration/finance specific) or open to academic (teaching) or any other sides.
    juz wanted to share an experience which i happened to see,
    The girl had a Bachelor degree, got married and was home maker for 5+ years, no experience at all.. Got divorced when she was 30+.. Her parents supported her. She did M.E in a deemed university in chennai.. Got a lecturer job with tat.. Heard she is remarried now...
    May be u can also follow the same path, Many deemed universities offer different courses and their eligibility criteria is kinda flexible.
    Academic(teaching/research) side has lot of options when someone has interest in studies, seeing ur % of marks i guess it may suit u well.

All the best!!!

3 people like this.
  9. BhoomikaDhare

BhoomikaDhare Silver IL'ite

Age is not a matter at all for the people who desperately want to do something. Have you heard of Nandita Gurjar ? She was from a very orthodox family and her father never wanted her to pursue masters. After completing her BA, she was married. During that time she joined masters without her father's knowledge. When she met her husband for the first time she firmly said she wanted to work after marriage. Her husband never wanted her to work. He agreed on one condition. She can join job only after their last child completed 10 years (He thought by that time she would have lost interest). She patiently waited for almost 12 years till her second son completes 10 years. Her ambition and enthusiasm made her to join Wipro as a fresher. She was the only elder employee among the batch of young fresh graduates. She started as a beginner. Now she is head of human resource at infosys.
    Please check this page for her profile http://www.asiapacifichrmcongress.com/Speakers/Nandita%20Gurjar.html. Its mind blowing. She has achieved so much even after starting late.
    So age is not the deciding factor. If you want it.. got get it. Nothing can stop you. Higher studies can give you bigger strength. All the best :)

4 people like this.
  10. chenchal009

chenchal009 Senior IL'ite

Hey BurningSoul,

just checking.. why not start working and do MBA as part time ?