1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3-year-old not ready to brush his teeth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anugamit, Jan 10, 2012.

1. SudhaManimaran

SudhaManimaran Bronze IL'ite

Hi same happens to me also.. even iam waiting for solution for this. ;-(

2. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hi all..

I m mom of two kids DD will be 4 very soon and DS complete 2 recently...

I follow this.. like daily in the morning they brush together... i give them the brush and make them brush themselves for few mins.. later i get it, apply paste and brush them...
    I use normal pepsodent paste and very normal in fact big brushes...

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

@sudha::i can understand...there is no other go than trying new techniques and fun games that would make them open their mouth..remember what works on day 1 perfectly,might not work for day 2 :bonk..it depends...maybe you can make her bruish along with you,you might end up brushing late or mught have to do 2nd brushing...
    i believe you would have read my replies in the other thread..in that i would have mentioned that even if your kid is not brushing,make her stay in the bathroom and show how you brush making funny noises and facial reactions..that might work...

1 person likes this.
  4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anugamit,
    Incase you are already following all the techniques to make your kid brush,then you ll have to wait till your kid accepts brushing...i know its hard but you ll have to tell him in a soft tone..shouting might not work...as he is small and might get a hatred towards brushing...

keep telling stories like there was so and so who does not brush and all his teeth fell one by one..something like this ..remember dont do this while brushing...whenever he is in a good mood,do tell stories realted to brushing and its benefits...some kids change...

incase you have already done this too,mmmmm...i dont have any idea as of now...will think..

atleast you can keep trying the gargling or brushing his teeth with your fingers...as of now,you can continue doing these on the days he doesnt brush...

meanwhile check with your doc about changing the paste brand...get 2-3 types of tooth pastes and try one per day..

5. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Swaran,

I may try this "keep telling stories like there was so and so who does not brush and all his teeth fell one by one..something like this ..remember dont do this while brushing...whenever he is in a good mood,do tell stories realted to brushing and its benefits...some kids change..."

Thanks for your suggestions and toddle dental care link.

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Happy to help :)
    yes ,do try and post your feedback:)

7. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

He is getting used to brushing....Today, we were a bit late to school so were in hurry. i just massaged his gums and teeth and let him swish his mouth and then told him he will smell bad today so nobody will come to him...and to my surprise he wanted to brush and HE DID...Maybe, he did not feel good in his mouth without brushing....Wooooooooooooooo....Success.

8. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Hi

you try with battery operated brush, it will be like massaging. Try to put some star or give some complements/some gifts. (for some times)

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hey thats a great news :banana