1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 Year Old Becoming Stubborn

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by avantik, Aug 31, 2016.

1. avantik

avantik New IL'ite

My son is the sweetest kid in the world, as per me, my friends and families. Of lately however, he will not come from any place like park, swimming pool or friends house without crying or throwing tanturm. He will not even move out of the house without throwing a tanturm which can run for an hour too. I am so lost. What do I do? How do i control before it becomes a habit

Priyajsr likes this.

2. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Kids are like that only OP....dont worry.... Tell him something he likes about the place where you are going. For example, if he refrains to come out of park/swimming pool, tell him that you are going to icecream shop next/shopping, whatever he likes..... If you want him to move with you from home, tell him what he likes about the place you are going. If you are going to relative house ,tell him he has his age mates there.

Even if we have a doctor appointment for my DD for vaccination, I will tell her, after seeing doctor, we are going to a restaurant/uncle house(which she loves). She comes joyfully.

3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@avantik-
    My DS is nowhere near 3-year-old( the suggestion is from what I have read) but my DS is starting on his temper tantrum and I was reading a bunch of stuff.
    I will share those links with you too.
    Before you take him to a park... play a scenario with him.. say like things we need to do before we go to the park..
    we have to put our shoes, eat our meal.. pick the umbrella
    its going to be sunny, you will meet your friends and blah blah.. and we will come back home or from the park we will to grocery store.
    Reward him for being good and not throwing tantrums. If he does throw tantrum.. show him the reward and say he will get it if he is going to be good.

Involve your DS in this narrative... ask him what he might want to add and might be say lets act on the narrative that we planned.

I hope this works.

The source that I am reading
    11 Month Old Tantrums
    Ask Dr. Sears: Tantrums Already!

guesshoo and Chocolatey like this.
  4. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

My dear watson, everything is cause and effect. Investigate on the why and you will know the what.

curiousgals78 likes this.
  5. Babbygirl

Babbygirl New IL'ite

My son is 2 and a half and has crazy tantrums all day everyday! From one stressed out mummy to another xx
    If you ever need a chat let me know will be nice to have someone who understands to talk to xxx

6. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Hello OP,

I guess around 3 they start throwing tantrums...I think rewarding them will work. Before leaving from home remind him that he will get a reward if he doesn't throw any tantrum outside and behaves well.
    Say if he like stickers , give him one whenever he comes back home from the park without saying no.
    Eventually he will start loving this reward system and will want to get more and more of these...
    Stickers is just an example...but make sure you keep up your reward promise. Also whenever possible talk to him and try to classify behavior as Good /Bad. Every time he does something nice, say this is good behavior Acknowledge him ,praise him. When he is being stubborn , explain to him nicely you want to be Mummy's good boy then don't behave badly.It takes time but it works. Concept of good and bad behavior really helps.

guesshoo and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

Your son is at an age when they are testing boundaries and exploring how far they can push you. It's normal and let me assure you this is a phase, so take comfort in knowing that this will pass!
    What do you do when he has tantrums about going some place? Do you give in or do you forcefully take him? If you are forcefully make him go with you, he might resent going out every time. If you are giving in, you are sending him a message that his tantrums work in his favor so he will keep using it every time he needs something to go his way. (yup, they're tricky like that!)
    Next time you are going out, start much earlier than you should to give some buffer time to the tantrums that are about to happen. When he does startjust let him have his meltdown and refuse to acknowledge. Just go about getting ready and stay calm. Don't let him sense that you will plead with him or scold him or reprimand him to stop and listen to you. Just be firm and tell him that you have to leave in xyz minutes. If he is too agitated to listen, hold him tight, ask him to look into your eyes and tell him ' son, I love you but I cannot talk to you when you are crying/yelling this way. Please calm down and I will be happy to speak with you". Repeat this if you must.
    Another trick that works is the use of a timer or traffic lights. Tell him much ahead of time that you will going out at xyz time. Set a timer and let him understand what that means.
    You could also try giving him choices. Some kids like to be in control.for example, you cold say "son, would you like to leave for the park now or in five minutes from now?" it's a win-win for you and him.

LuvLadoo35 and guesshoo like this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

oh my god.. thats my story. My girl is 2 yrs old and we have same drama every day 2 times atleast. We go to shopping mall, she wants to do shopping herself and come out of cart which means i am in trouble. I have to keep stopping her to touch/break things. She plays / wants everything, then puts in her cart like she wants this - that.
    Then she always cries to go to this isle that isle. Problem is now she remembers this store has that one of her favourite things, and where that isle is so she keeps insisting.
    Leaving the house, even to her fav place like park or so takes 1 hr. ..so I keep buffer time but still. Then drama to wear this, unwear this at the last min, drama to open doors / close doors, this shoes that socks oh my god.
    First difficult to get her into the park.

So I learnt couple things but need to practice in daily life -
    If I say no to her, she cries. If I say strictly repeatedly, she cries more

So I let her do what she wants (like playing with toy in store, or put in cart) then when she is calm, I tell her this is bad etc or easier way sneakingly, put things out of cart ( which is wrong as she needs to learn, she can not buy everything she wants).
    for putting wrong things in mouth or some serious crimes - which I say 'no. but she won' stop. She tests me and does that again and again an again. I have to find solution to that.

Also She is learning a lot from me. I am going shopping a lot these days, and putting things in cart, and buying her a lot so she is learning from me and I need to control my shopping. She puts everything in cart and thinks I will buy her.
    Now many times I do and sometimes sneakingly take it out of cart.
    I also get impatient all the time and go with quicker solutions like tv, cartoons but thats wrong. Many times I felt when I show patience and do not pressurize her, she follows me, not immediately but after couple minutes.

Mine is like a bouncy ball. If I come hard on her, she does not take it :-((

Priyajsr likes this.
  9. Priyajsr

Priyajsr New IL'ite

Hi,
    I read your post. I am sailing in the same boat. My baby is 3 now and anytime anywhere he starts throwing Tantrums. I am helpless, i have stopped taking him out as i am unable to handle him i wait for my husband to come and after dinner i take him out. He does not understand or does not want to understand i am clueless about it. I am just hoping that he will be fine soon. I have tried all techniques with him but alas i have failed. Patience is the only solution i guess. He goes to nursery, he wants to take the school bus first he wants to get down first. He wants to do everything by himself which is very much irritating as he ends up dirty his clothes or he gets hurt. I am keeping lots of patience now and praying that this phase will pass soon.

10. Priyajsr

Priyajsr New IL'ite

same here i thought i am the only one in this earth. My baby remembers everything and i cannot distract him as he never forgets. He remembers his favourite shop, his favourite ride. Everyday at least he cries for 2 times. He does not like to hear NO. I have no other option rather than having patience and giving him time and saying that this PHASE WILL GO.