1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

23 months still not sleeping properly!!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vinayaji, Jun 5, 2013.

1. vinayaji

vinayaji Bronze IL'ite

hi ladies,
    please please please help me out!!
    my DD is 23 months old still not sleeping properly in night. things will be even fine for me if she sleep after taking her on lap, or laying don with her singing her favourite songs.
    BUT she just wakes up and ask me to stand up with her on my arms, if i try to put her down then again she wakes up and ask me to stand up. In beginning when she was 1 & 1/2 she was used to drink milk or water. I was thinking its all right she will sleep tight after few monts. but she is not.:spin
    please suggest me any advice. she do it regularly i'm fed up now.
    In day time she says that doing this is wrong. but in nights she is not in mood to listen any thing.
    eagerly waiting for reply,

thank you!!

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vinaya, so you mean to say you are having trouble putting her to sleep or she is waking up after she is asleep?

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Is she hungry? Does she eat good dinner before going to bed? May be she is having a bad dream? Ask her when she wakes up if she needs milk or water or something.. also try telling her that you will snuggle with her if she goes to bed.

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

5. vinayaji

vinayaji Bronze IL'ite

hi there,
    @ rakhii She always sleepy from 8 but falls asleep at 10. she is good in sleep for 2 & 1/2 hr. after that frequently start waking up.

@ chitra Yes, she always has good, full stomach dinner. may ur right she is in bad dream. but that time she doesnt listen. she has such hyper mood that sometimes she starts hitting me :( If i ask for milk or water she will say yes and when i bring it she says NO.

@dinny No she sleeps once in a day, probably from 11 to 1.
    I think, she is comfortable. she has habbit to tell what she don't like!
    thanks for link will go through it!!

thanks all for ur reply. hope she will be good in sleep soon :)

6. Rakhii

Vinaya, she sleeps only from 11 to 1 PM for morning nap you said? This is where I can see a problem. I think she is super tired and that's why she is waking up. I see that there is a minimum of 10 hour gap between a nap and sleep. have you tried putting her to sleep early?

What I normally do is, take her to her room the moment I see that she is tired/sleepy. Dim the lights and make no noise. She normally drifts off with in 10 minutes. Also, does she has any bed time routine? If not, its time to get one.

My DD is 17.5 months old and she still gets up twice for water. But she drifts off with in 1 minute after I give her some water. Trust me, even this is not really good as I want her to sleep without waking up. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you!

7. vinayaji

vinayaji Bronze IL'ite

hi rakhii,
    My older one is 5 yr old he sleep at 8, at same time i put her in bed ( she is also sleepy that time ) but as soon as she saw her brother is sleeping, she get up quietly and get out of the room and said " come out mum he is sleeping ''

both have bed time routine dinner, bath, bed time story.
    actually she is bad sleeper from beginning. but at night she should!

I tried super nanny tech. that put them in bed, give hugs n kisses and let them make sleep on their own. which is very hard to do. I tried it once but looking at her face i skip that idea.

I dont mind to wake up at night but she only want to sleep on my arms and me walking in the house :(
    anyway, thanks for ur reply. will again try to sleep her early !!

8. Rakhii

Vinaya, I guess then she is just a light sleeper and we cant do much. Many people vouch on the cry-it-out method. have you considered it? Its not easy on parent and child for the days when she is crying, but, if you harden your heart, this might work.

So far, I couldnt do it, rather didnt feel the need yet. Actually for me its not that bad compared to you. See if you are OK trying this. But as it seems like, you seem to be doing everything right!

9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Vinaya: Does she co sleep with you or with her brother? May be she needs somebody by her side all the time.. Its ok if she co sleeps with you they outgrow it soon.. I can definitely understand your pain.. When my DD started day care initially few days where like this.. I figured its the change that is affecting her...