1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

20Months old son not talking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by prtywomen, Jan 7, 2012.

1. prtywomen

prtywomen Junior IL'ite

Hello Friends,
    My son is 20 months old but he hasn't started to say single word. He rarely says amma and daddy but he is not using these words to address us. He pulls us to the place whatever he needs. He plays with iPhone, if i ask him to show veggies, fruit, or animals he is able to point. But says A, M for apple and monkey. He knows all aphabets and number. But he is not trying to talk, sometimes he babbles but not all times. Any tips and suggestion to encourage him to talk?

2. freesia

freesia Bronze IL'ite

Talk to your pediatrician about it and if possible try to get speech therapy evaluation.

3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

some kids are like that, especially boys so don't panic, he should be talking soon, take your time, you talk more to him, encourage him, if he says a small thing, appreciate him and that will encourage him more. one of my friends, she had a son who did not talk anything until he turned 4, but now at 9, he is so good, a voracious reader and a smart kid. Her second son who is 2 is following his brother and doesn't speak a word. So things will be alright.. don't worry.

also, please focus on one language at a time, the one that you commonly speak at home, otherwise it might confuse him

4. justlife

justlife Silver IL'ite

true, some kids do not talk until 3-4 years of age. Try to engage him in conversation. Kids understand everything. You should also talk to your son a lot, it will take time, but he will soon respond to your conversation.

5. vidhee

vidhee Bronze IL'ite

My son is 22months old, he is not talking, it's all gibberish and not a word or sentence, he calls me vidhya by name sometime Amma but doesn't talk much.. Lil bit worried..

Thx
    Vidhya

6. sujisaran

sujisaran Silver IL'ite

hi friend

one of my friend son 2year got over still now he is not speaking anything but saying amma appa that much he only don't worry he will speak or consult with your pediatrician then we will decide don't make yourself tensed be cool

7. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

My downstairs friend has 4 yrs old son, same problem, she felt o bad for months later boy teacher asked her to speech therapy later she found out her language is tamil and telugu boy sis speaks in english.
    He is confus with three languages . They all stopped and continuing in only telugu now.

And she used to take him playarea where kids says mom dador something he used to listen and slowly developed.

So dont worry.
    Try this thing make your son mingle with kids who talks who shouts .

8. prtywomen

prtywomen Junior IL'ite

Thanks for all your responses. How about in eating habit? My son doesnt like to chew, he doesnt like to pick anything from floor and eat. When i give him biscuits and chips, he just take 2 - 3 bites and drops it off. Not found on finger food, he eats anything if i mash and nowadays he has improved by eating briyani. I think he is improving, but many say that eating habit has also impact on speech development. is it so?

9. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

socialize ur kid with same age in play areas so that he will learn soon

Boys will be slow in speaking. If it is for another 5 to 6months consult doctor and get advice

take care

10. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

keep speaking to your son. He will speak dont panic.

This may be useful tips for you not sure : Grannys say if we apply little bit of honey (only a drop) in thier tongue they will speak fast. Try this if you want.

regards
    anu