1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

20 Months Old Behaviour

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Users, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Users

Users Bronze IL'ite

Hi, my son who is 19 months old does not communicate(No pointing etc) however he is potty trained(needs diaper only in night). He knows A-Z, can recognize A-Z and a-z knows 1-20. knows more than 20 animals knows sounds of animals and can tell few colors, knows lots of fruits and vegetables. speaks more than 100 words recognize pictures. he is very smart otherwise but when it comes to communication he doesn't do anything. if he needs water he keeps looking at it and than I have to give it. I'm really tensed if there is any issue with him or its just his nature please advice me what should I do?

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

If you a have a concern, always always take your child to be seen by a medical professional. In case the child needs any help, the sooner you start giving him the very specific therapies, the greater the benefit. It most probably is nothing and the child will soon start communicating - as many many many mums will testify. Having said that, there's nothing to lose by getting professional opinion. Not doing so might have long lasting consequences if the child didn't get the attention he requires.

In the meanwhile, rather than teaching the child to repeat after you passively or ask him questions where the pressure is on the child to talk, back off. watch for periods when he is alert and talk to him. Just communicate. Go for walks and talk about what he is looking at. If he looks at something, cheerfully hold his hand, point and say you are looking at a bus. A red bus.

Instead of asking questions, state what our see and leave it at that. You are pushing a car. You are holding a doll. Is she sleeeping? With the pressure off he might start talking.

It might help to actually get him a doll if he doesn't have one - he might be able to identify with it and model your behaviour on the doll - I was quite surprised to see the focus my child gave the doll and all that she did with a doll at 1.

Be watchful and wait for him to make a sound; without correcting his speech, just develop on it.

Cut off access to all screens at home. Don't even turn on the tv for grown up channels. Its better we model good behaviour by putting away phones and gadgets and be present completely with him.

Additionally, give him your full attention for say, 20 min every morning and evening. Make eye contact and talk to him during that time. I use baby talk liberally to give answers for him. Recite and enact rhymes. Play with his toys by yourself. If he wants to join you, give him a turn and let him explore rather than do what he's being shown to do - eg. My daughter used to grab the lego people, run and put them on a high chair or bed and mother them.

Give him choices about what to wear or eat eg. Hold out a piece of Carrot and a piece of apple and and let him choose. While playing, say you are tickling him and he's enjoying it, ask him if he'd like more or its enough. You might have to answer for him and show him what you mean. That would encourage him to talk.

Again I reiterate, all these are suggestions you could follow but it's more important that you check with medical professionals as soon as possible.

3. Gregoria

Gregoria New IL'ite

tell him to point or ask what he wants. as for me, i am teaching my daughter sign language even though she is not deaf or mute.